Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to put with a Vamo?

Options
  • 03-01-2013 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

I recently got a kanger twist starter kit but have lost one of the batteries already (didn't take me long I know). I was going to just replace it but now I'm thinking I may as well go for a bit of an upgrade and the Vamo seems like good value and suits my budget.

So my question is what should I put with it? I have a few T3's but I'm not a huge fan, not sure if it's the twist battery I have or what but it's a bit inconsistent and sometimes makes loud popping noises and leaks down into the drip tip. This has happened with 3 different clearomisers and 4 or 5 heads (I've been changing them after only 2-3 days or 1-2 ml) so I'm not sure what the problem is but either way I'd like to try something new.

I'm a bit confused about cartomisers/atomisers and rebuildables etc. but wouldn't mind trying something a bit more DIY once it works. I do most of my vaping at home so it doesn't need to be that robust, I can still user the ego twist and clearomisers that I have when I'm out and about. What would be the best thing to get? Also does the Vamo come with a charger/batteries or do I need to buy these separately? (I've been looking at it on the esmokeireland website). Thanks in advance.

Edit: If I did want to use the T3's with it do I need an adapter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

A nice simple dripper should hit the spot for you, I am a lover of the ebarron and its my no1 at home. Easy to rebuild or cheap to replace the cups at €12 for 5 that would last months. Does work well with a twist as well.

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/category-s/1836.htm

I love tanks with cartomisers as well, the standard resistance boges mixed with a good tank gives you 2 to 3 days of vaping before you lose the flavor depending on the juice. Its costs about €10 to €15 a month or with a dripper about half that. You would need a carto punch to punch a hole in the cartomiser and pre fill the carto but it takes 5 minutes and is a beautiful vape. Cartos are lovely with tobacco juices

Both these options are a slightly more technical than the kangers or vivi nova's but you are repaid which a very satisfying vape and a nice stepping stone to a more technical device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I was looking at the ebarron alright but 50 quid is probably out of my budget at this stage. Once you buy it is replacing the cups all you need to do? I guess at 12 quid every few months that wouldn't be too bad...

When you say a good tank what do you mean, can you give examples? Still getting my head around most of this stuff, not sure I know all the components I'd need for something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

The €12 in spare cups is if you dont want to rebuild the coil otherwise to rebuild its just the price of wire so say €10 for 5 years if you buy 20 meters. Some wire and 5 spare cups at the start would last years and years, also handy to have a spare if you vape a strong juice like menthol which takes ages to get rid of the flavor.

A tank is basically a 3rd party mod to improve the useability of a cartomiser, it will hold a few mils if juice and top up your carto automatically so you can get a full day or more without re-filling. Have a look at a review of a tank, ok its a high end tank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGnNCLOL3WE

Again this is a small investment from €10 for basic tank plus €15 for a punch plus the disposable cartomisers.

Will do, cheers. Is a tank and atomiser the same idea as a tank and cartomiser i.e. is a cartomiser just a small non-refillable tank with an atomiser built in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

a cartomiser is a longish tube with an atomiser inside it and a load of filler material. you wet the filler material with juice and as you vape it drains onto the heating coil of the atomiser inside. then you pour a bit more juice in and rinse/repeat, without the rinsing.

cartomiser tanks work by putting little holes in the cartomiser and then sitting it inside a tank full of juice. as you vape, juice enters in through the holes in the carto and keeps the filler material constantly wet which prolongs the life of the carto and keeps the flavour/performance higher for longer

the atomiser tank is a new enough take on the idea, i think there's already been a couple of them but the killer seems to be the first rebuildable atomiser that you can slot into any old carto tank so you get the increase in flavour/vapour/performance you get from a rebuildable atomiser but the ease of use and longevity of a tank as well. if it works the way it's meant to it should be great.

• Advertisement

This killer thing sounds promising alright, when's it out and how much will it cost? I'll do a bit more research so.

In my original post I asked if you can use T3s with the Vamo, do I need an adapter or would they fit straight on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

You do need an adapter for the T3's to work on a Vamo ricky.

Thanks Lucutus, is it the ego-C to 510 one that I've seen mentioned on here previously? Can't see any mentione of the type of connector the Vamo has on the website.

rickyjb wrote: »
    This killer thing sounds promising alright, when's it out and how much will it cost? I'll do a bit more research so.

In my original post I asked if you can use T3s with the Vamo, do I need an adapter or would they fit straight on?

pretty sure the vamo wont need an adapter for the t3, think it has 510 and ego threading so it should be fine nm, lucutus sounds like he knows

the killer is gona cost 65 euro or thereabouts I think according to sabrina from e-smokeireland over on facebook, so that and whatever you spend on the tank and you're away

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/egoadapter.htm

this is the adapter youll want anyway

So even dearer than the ebarron, this stuff is not cheap is it... I'm not on faceb**k, did she mention when they'd have it in stock?

I've now come across something called a lavatube that comes with a charger, a battery and an atomiser
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/vv-mods/25-lavatube-vx-full-kit.html

Does anyone know how this would compare to the Vamo? The body is the same price but the full kit looks like better value. Too many options!

• Advertisement

its not cheap but it ends up costing pennies to run. I buy 10m of wick for about 5-10 euro (depending on where I buy it from) and 10m of wire for about 5-6 euro and I won't need to get anything else for months.

as for lavatube v vamo, *shrug*

vamo is probably a bit better as it has the variable wattage option. I haven't used a lavatube since the very first batch that came out over a year ago and I've never used a vamo so I've no idea really what they're both like to use.

Maybe I should start a lavatube vs Vamo thread:)

Variable wattage sounds like it might be useful further down the line alright, will probably go for the Vamo.

Another question - what's the difference between a rebuildable atomiser with a clear tank like the AGA-T and a clearomiser like the T3? (Aside from the fact that one has diposable heads where the wick is and the other you re-wick yourself).

well the aga-t uses stainless steel mesh to wick the juice to the coil where the t3 uses silica (or fibreglass, but I think it's silica) rope. stainless steel is widely thought to give the cleanest flavour and it's more forgiving in higher temperatures so you can run it at higher watts but imo is a massive fiddly pain in the ****ing tits to get set up properly

I do appear to be the only one that has a problem with it though.

there's also things like build quality or the shape of the chamber which can affect the warmth/flavour of the vape, then you have some atomisers which are set up to allow you to use single wicks or dual wicks or single coils or dual coils or whatever. the aga's are a type known as genesis atomisers which is generally the coil wrapped around a stainless steel mesh wick which is sitting in a tank of juice, there are (at last count) about seven million different genesis atomisers.

I'm using the Vamo with the eBaron spiral dripper and very pleased with it.

I have a Kanger T3 here and it just doesn't fit. While the vamo does have 510 and ego threading, the skirt on the T3 is slightly too wide for the dripwell in the Vamo. Some other clearos work well though, vivi nova in particular, the smoktech dual coil mega cartos are good too.

I don't have an adapter to try, looking at the one SDCC linked, it would do the job fine.

The Vamo gives you variable voltage as well as variable wattage, allows you to check the resistance of your setup and also shows you what power is left in your battery. Not sure which subset of these the lavatube allows you to do, definately not VW though, which is all I'm using on it.

You have one battery left for your Kanger T3's? Keep using it and try out Vamo, the adapter and maybe a Vivi Nova to keep the initial cost down and upgrade to a new dripper/rebuildable at a later date?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

rickyjb, if you decide not to get the Killer, once I get it I'll be selling my AGA-T for cheapsies if you can hang on that long.

As Digby says, it's a fickle beast, but there's just a set routine of crap you have to do to make it work, and I'll send it built to ease you in, to whatever spec you want.
    As long as it's a dual-coil.

Bear in mind it's REALLY FWAWKING HEAVY.

Regarding the Vamo/Lavatube - no competition. Vamo.
    There is a newer Lavatube coming out but it's basically the Vamo/Vmax brains inside a gigantically thick body.

Lucutus wrote: »
    I'm using the Vamo with the eBaron spiral dripper and very pleased with it.

I have a Kanger T3 here and it just doesn't fit. While the vamo does have 510 and ego threading, the skirt on the T3 is slightly too wide for the dripwell in the Vamo. Some other clearos work well though, vivi nova in particular, the smoktech dual coil mega cartos are good too.

I don't have an adapter to try, looking at the one SDCC linked, it would do the job fine.

The Vamo gives you variable voltage as well as variable wattage, allows you to check the resistance of your setup and also shows you what power is left in your battery. Not sure which subset of these the lavatube allows you to do, definately not VW though, which is all I'm using on it.

You have one battery left for your Kanger T3's? Keep using it and try out Vamo, the adapter and maybe a Vivi Nova to keep the initial cost down and upgrade to a new dripper/rebuildable at a later date?
    grindle wrote: »
    rickyjb, if you decide not to get the Killer, once I get it I'll be selling my AGA-T for cheapsies if you can hang on that long.

As Digby says, it's a fickle beast, but there's just a set routine of crap you have to do to make it work, and I'll send it built to ease you in, to whatever spec you want.
    As long as it's a dual-coil.

Bear in mind it's REALLY FWAWKING HEAVY.

Regarding the Vamo/Lavatube - no competition. Vamo.
    There is a newer Lavatube coming out but it's basically the Vamo/Vmax brains inside a gigantically thick body.

Thanks lads, I think I'll follow both of your suggestions. Buy the Vamo, adapter and vivi nova for now, I'll buy your AGA-T when it becomes available (for a fair price if you give me first refusal) grindle and take it from there. Probably best to let the experts figure out how to get the best of out "the killer" anyway.;)

rickyjb wrote: »
    Buy the Vamo, adapter and vivi nova for now

Don't leave out your batteries and charger!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭donkey oatey

I had a 2nd hand lavatube and use a vamo now. I prefer the vamo because the lt stopped working pretty soon after getting it, the vamo has vw which I do prefer (not sure why or how it's better but it is) and I can use it in mini mode with 18350 batteries which makes it less bulky when I'm out. I've used it with my anyvapes vivi nova and t3's and prefer to use the t3's with it.

Esmokeireland seem to be out of the efest 18650 batteries, are the 18500 batteries almost is good or is it worth waiting until they're back in stock? Or would 2 of the 18350 batteries do the same job? They're also out of the 510 adapters...

Interesting that you prefer the T3's, maybe it's just my battery that's making them so inconsistent.

If I got a vamo and this cartomiser and a couple of these blanks would I have everything I need? Cartomisers and atomisers still confuse me:o

This tank has twice the capacity and will sit flush with the Vamo
    and
    these cartos are much, much better than the ones designed to be used with those tanks (choose stainless in the drop-down, and regular resistance)
    but they need to have a hole punched into them with
    this.

Atomiser- Usually a coil at the bottom that you either drip into or push a cartridge on top of that slowly drips juice in.
    Cartomiser-usually a coil either at the bottom or running vertically that has a spongy filler inside that retains the juice - can be fed by a tank surrounding the carto.
    Genesis atomiser - usually a tank on the bottom which mesh wicks up to the coil chamber to be vaped.

There are a lot of variations on themes but that's the gist. Ask if you don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭donkey oatey

Sorry to hijack but I'm curious. I saw a guy talking about putting a slit into the cartos. How would you do that and is it better than punching them?

You can either use a dremel (expensive) or a junior hacksaw (cheap).

But not one of those €2 shop junior hacksaws. Tried it. Shocking. Wouldn't even nearly go through, kept sliding across the carto.
    Went to a hardware shop and picked one up for €7, slot cut in 2mins.

It does feed better, and it's cheaper than a carto-punch.

I'd say newbies get well pīssed off with us.
    Add to cart. Delete from cart. Add to cart. Ruminate. Delete from cart. Go to hardware shop.

So the Boge 510 XXL cartomisers are much better than the dual coil DCT ones that I linked? But you have to buy a punch to put holes in them, ok. What are the holes for, to fill them? How long does a cartomiser typically last? I don't know so I'm asking:)

Is the smoktech tank I linked above a good choice? Not too worried about the extra capacity, 3 ml would be loads I think. I'm thinking I'll get the vamo, charger, batteries, adapter, smoktech tank and boge cartomisers. Have I left anything out? The batteries are sold out on both ESI and TBS.

You can either use a dremel (expensive) or a junior hacksaw (cheap).

But not one of those €2 shop junior hacksaws. Tried it. Shocking. Wouldn't even nearly go through, kept sliding across the carto.
    Went to a hardware shop and picked one up for €7, slot cut in 2mins.

It does feed better, and it's cheaper than a carto-punch.

I'd say newbies get well pīssed off with us.
    Add to cart. Delete from cart. Add to cart. Ruminate. Delete from cart. Go to hardware shop.

I can't deny that I've built up carts on both websites and started over again several times and I'm still not sure what I need:pac: I appreciate the advice though, I think I'm getting closer to placing an order. Tough to get it all on one site though, especially with the batteries.

3-5 days, some get more but that's how long cartos lasted me.

The Boges are much better than the Smoktech Dual Coils, and I say that as a dual coil fiend.
    The holes seep the liquid into the carto while it's in the tank. Keeps the foam constantly wet, prolongs the life of the carto.

The one you linked is grand, just the same price as the big one and smaller width-wise, so it'll just look a little more odd on the Vamo. Stepped, kinda,

E-cigshop.eu sells the 18650 eFests as well, and has the 3400mah versions quite cheap. Well worth it.
    That'd be 2-3 days battery-life minimum, which is beyond ideal.

Edit: he's out of stock of those - but has the 2000mah ones. Very cheap. I'll find his discount code there.

CHR2012
    Might still get you %15 off.

Make sure wherever you get the Boges that they're the XL or XXL size (same size, different stores have differing names).

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Agree with Grindle, theyre fine tanks, though I only had one a couple of days before losing it :-(
    I only punched 3 carts succesfully I think before starting to cut slots with my dremel. Much better results, no distortion. You can buy a cheap rotary tool for not much than a carto punch, very handy tool

3-5 days, some get more but that's how long cartos lasted me.

The Boges are much better than the Smoktech Dual Coils, and I say that as a dual coil fiend.
    The holes seep the liquid into the carto while it's in the tank. Keeps the foam constantly wet, prolongs the life of the carto.

The one you linked is grand, just the same price as the big one and smaller width-wise, so it'll just look a little more odd on the Vamo. Stepped, kinda,

E-cigshop.eu sells the 18650 eFests as well, and has the 3400mah versions quite cheap. Well worth it.
    That'd be 2-3 days battery-life minimum, which is beyond ideal.

Edit: he's out of stock of those - but has the 2000mah ones. Very cheap. I'll find his discount code there.

CHR2012
    Might still get you %15 off.

Make sure wherever you get the Boges that they're the XL or XXL size (same size, different stores have differing names).

Is flat top ok for the battery (to work in a vamo) or do I need button top? Also should I get standard or low resistance Boges, 3 ohms is the standard is that too high? Coupon has expired unfortunately but thanks anyway.

Would a standard power drill work for drilling holes in the cartomisers??

I've attached my shopping list, am I missing anything? I know I'm missing a hole puncher but besides that. Probably more than I originally intended to spend but these T3's are wrecking my head, all 3 just seem to leak constantly.

It works with both although the 2 x 18350 mode needs flats according to this thread.
    That thread should have details on everything that works with it.

3ohms is what you want.

Standard drill would work, just make sure you have a drill bit around 0.1mm and a vice to keep the carto steady.
    When you take the white insert from the carto and look into it, you'll see a kind of thread running down into it - make a hole 90degrees to the left and right of that (0.1mm!), about a thumbs-width from where the battery connector meets the actual carto.
    When you put an end of the tank on the bottom of the carto, the holes should be just above the end-piece.
    You only want the drill to make a tiny hole on the surface - if it gets even 3mm into the carto, the carto will likely be murdered.

It works with both although the 2 x 18350 mode needs flats according to this thread.
    That thread should have details on everything that works with it.

I have 2 stacked nipple top 18350's working well in mine.

• Advertisement

Lucutus wrote: »
    I have 2 stacked nipple top 18350's working well in mine.

Fūck that thread to death then.

Advertisement