Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare Restaurant Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the Old Ground Hotel, funnily enough it used to have a restaurant called "The Dining Room" too but they re-named it. It is now the O'Regan Room after the Old Ground's former owner and the founder of Airport Duty Free Shopping, Dr. Brendan O'Regan.

Glad to hear you are a fan MrsD....The O'Regan Room was never officially known as the dining room, it was the O'Brien Room, but was called the Dining room by the staff, just as the Town Hall is known as the Bistro. Personally I would rate it ahead of the Town Hall in terms of the food. I work in the OG, and if I'm looking for something a bit special for a family celebration the O'Regan Room is where I would head. If I'm looking for something a bit more private for myself and my wife, I usually head out of town...but only because working in the OG means I never really get to relax in there (either in the Town Hall or O'Regan room), I just don't think any of the other restaurants in town offer anything to write home about, they all make the grade but none stand out. Pretty sure if I wasn't working there the O'Regan Room would be my favourite restaurant in town, the menu covers all the bases from T-bones, Fillet steaks, Sirloin steaks, Rack of Lamb, Pork Fillet, Black Sole, Monkfish, Mussels, there is nothing on the menu I would be afraid to recommend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just as well I booked the O'Reagan room for a christening then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

johnam wrote: »
    Glad to hear you are a fan MrsD....The O'Regan Room was never officially known as the dining room, it was the O'Brien Room, but was called the Dining room by the staff, just as the Town Hall is known as the Bistro.
    You're after educating me johnam, I've been going into the OG since I was a very young child and I never knew the 'Dining Room' was officially called the O'Brien Room :eek:

I always find it a real pleasure to go to the Old Ground either for a meal or a drink in the bar - keep up the good work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Big fan of Doolin Cafe, under new owners since last year (is it longer?)
    Really unusual menu (its not on the website though) . Great atmosphere and something different.

Don't know if they're back open after the winter, but def worth a look if you're up that way

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g214506-d1503707-Reviews-The_Doolin_Cafe-Doolin_The_Burren_County_Clare.html

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mrswhiplash47

johnam wrote: »
    Glad to hear you are a fan MrsD....The O'Regan Room was never officially known as the dining room, it was the O'Brien Room, but was called the Dining room by the staff, just as the Town Hall is known as the Bistro. Personally I would rate it ahead of the Town Hall in terms of the food. I work in the OG, and if I'm looking for something a bit special for a family celebration the O'Regan Room is where I would head. If I'm looking for something a bit more private for myself and my wife, I usually head out of town...but only because working in the OG means I never really get to relax in there (either in the Town Hall or O'Regan room), I just don't think any of the other restaurants in town offer anything to write home about, they all make the grade but none stand out. Pretty sure if I wasn't working there the O'Regan Room would be my favourite restaurant in town, the menu covers all the bases from T-bones, Fillet steaks, Sirloin steaks, Rack of Lamb, Pork Fillet, Black Sole, Monkfish, Mussels, there is nothing on the menu I would be afraid to recommend.
    I am gluten and dairy intolerant and I must say the staff and chefs in The Old Ground are wonderful. I have had to send food back in other restaurants because they weren't gluten and dairy free,even though I informed the waiting staff of my intolerance,but in the OG they get it right and are up to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We went for sunday lunch to Seasons 52 last sunday for my mothers birthday and it was very nice indeed, especially for families. The food was delicious, well priced and the staff were friendly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Vaughans- Food is nice, service brutal.

The Cloister is now open under the same chef who was in Bunratty Manor which was top of the range in taste terms for me. I intend going very soon as I've heard great things about it.

For me portion size and value for money is just as important as taste. In that regard my favourite places in Ennis are the Rowan Tree and Seasons 52.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I had the absolute pleasure in having lunch in The Cloister last week, I loved it! Fantastic staff and food reasonable, my new fav place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Stayed in the lovely Temple Gate Hotel not too long ago and ate in the restaurant Legends I think it was called. Divine! And it was not expensive either. I'd recommend it for sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Stayed in the lovely Temple Gate Hotel not too long ago and ate in the restaurant Legends I think it was called. Divine! And it was not expensive either. I'd recommend it for sure.

Great call with the Temple Gate, went there not too long ago and really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

food heaven in the market do the best sambos!! yum and the OG is always v good too, bar town hall or obrien room

I find the PepperMill in the Quin Road Industrial estate brilliant for lunch, they have a full salad/sandwich bar as well as an excellent carvery. They are nice and quick as well with loads of seats so if you're in a rush you can get in and out or if you're not you can take your time, they do a lovely coffee as well.

The Food Emperioum by Glor/Tesco is great as well, they have by far the best espresso in town.

Dan O'Connell's does a great Soup & Sandwich and is usually very reasonable, I'm very partial to their chicken salad sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Clareman wrote: »
    I find the PepperMill in the Quin Road Industrial estate brilliant for lunch, they have a full salad/sandwich bar as well as an excellent carvery. They are nice and quick as well with loads of seats so if you're in a rush you can get in and out or if you're not you can take your time, they do a lovely coffee as well.

The Food Emperioum by Glor/Tesco is great as well, they have by far the best espresso in town.

Dan O'Connell's does a great Soup & Sandwich and is usually very reasonable, I'm very partial to their chicken salad sandwich.

Was an item in one of the papers recently regarding this place that put me personally off going there. I will try and find the link.
    A successful prosecution was also carried out by the Health Service Executive on:

• The Food Emporium (restaurant), 8/9 Abbeyfield Centre, Francis Street, Ennis, Clare
    http://www.fsai.ie/details.aspx?id=11796&terms=ennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

In the Food Emporiums defence they've been around for 30 years and didn't have any problems before. I'm sure they've sorted it out after this incident. I heard off a pub owner about a year ago that the HSA have become incredibly tetchy about the standard of kitchens lately to the extent it wasn't worthwhile him doing food at all anymore. The current standards are just encouraging restaurants to do as little on site cooking as possible and buy in food preprepared on an industrial estate. Easier for the HSA to regulate but it's leading to a lot of places doing the same bland and homogeneous meals.

I know of a restaurant that was closed for a day following a successful prosecution by the HSE cause 1 of their fridges wasn't working. They knew the fridge wasn't working and they were only storing plates in it while waiting for someone come fix it, they tried to explain this to the health inspector but they wouldn't listen and went through with the prosecution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I know of a restaurant that was closed for a day following a successful prosecution by the HSE cause 1 of their fridges wasn't working. They knew the fridge wasn't working and they were only storing plates in it while waiting for someone come fix it, they tried to explain this to the health inspector but they wouldn't listen and went through with the prosecution.

....... which apparently was successful .... and that would make me wonder .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I have been to that new restaraunt cafe near the Clare Champion. Cairdé it's called. Excellent Fish Chowder, daily soup and coffee. Could not recommend it enough.

Was there over xmas. Absolutely loved it. Food was superb.

For lunch i would also recconend lilly maes in the woolen mills bunratty. Was there years ago and didnt think anything of it..but seems to have really upped its game

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

In the Food Emporiums defence they've been around for 30 years and didn't have any problems before. I'm sure they've sorted it out after this incident. I heard off a pub owner about a year ago that the HSA have become incredibly tetchy about the standard of kitchens lately to the extent it wasn't worthwhile him doing food at all anymore. The current standards are just encouraging restaurants to do as little on site cooking as possible and buy in food preprepared on an industrial estate. Easier for the HSA to regulate but it's leading to a lot of places doing the same bland and homogeneous meals.

I agree with your comment on the Food Emporium, and hope the negative publicity hasn't done them any harm. They were always lovely to deal with, one example that will always stand out for me is when my wife went in there once to buy some scones, and then realised she forgot her wallet, the guy followed her out to the car with the scones and said to pay the next time she was passing. It was her first time in there, so it wasn't as if they knew her face.

I disagree with everything else you say about the HSA. They have rules, clear rules, rules which with a little bit of work everyday can easily be met. The hygiene policy is called HACCP, which means Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points, basically you take every step in the production of a dish, look for where it can go wrong and then prevent it from going wrong. I fail to understand how kitchens serving over 1000 meals a day can meet these standards, but kitchens who serve much less than that feel that they are over powering.

HACCP sounds complicated but in fact is incredibly simple. For example if you are shopping in Dunnes and see a packet of Chicken left among the cleaning products, would you buy it? If you did buy some meat, would you leave it sit in your car for 6 hours on a warm summers day, or bring it home and put it in the fridge as soon as possible? Would you cut your Cooked Chicken on the same cutting board you used for cutting the raw chicken? Would you like your local food establishment to follow the same basic rules you would at home? HACCP is mainly common sense, but unfortunately with some establishments, common sense goes out the window, and for that reason the HSA has introduced a range of rules called HACCP which ensure every establishment check everything they possibly can about their products. From ensuring deliveries come in properly cooled vans, not some builders van which has driven around for the last 6 hours slowly stewing the chicken, to ensuring all fridges which are in use are in proper working order with temperature checks carried out regularly, or all hot holding areas are hot enough to prevent bacteria growth, to ensuring raw cutting boards are not used for cooked meats, HACCP is all common sense (with rules).

Sorry Clareman, but this sounds like a poor excuse. The HSA understand machinery break down, but they also say that if machinery breaks down, it should not be used, and all items should be transferred to another fridge until the issue can be rectified. I find it highly unlikely that any establishment would need to use a broken fridge to store plates. Why would they not just use the shelves that they would normally store the plates on when the fridge is working. It is much more probable that the fridge in question was still in use, and that no temperature checks existed for the fridge. So not only was the fridge not working, but the staff weren't aware either. How many establishments do you think would tell their customers the truth when they failed a health inspection...surely it would be easier to blame an over enthusiastic HSA officer. ..... but I'm only guessing.

I hope this doesn't read like a rant, or appear too critical on any other poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

This thread has turned into a very good restaurant guide to Ennis and Clare generally

The other day Mrs. CM and myself went for a drive with our little one as she was after having her 6-in-1 and we wanted to get her to sleep, we were both hungry coming back from Kilkee and neither of us was in the mood for cooking or having a sandwich, we didn't want to bring herself into a public place cause we didn't know how she'd react so we went to the Pepper Mill and got 2 take away dinners, I have to say they were lovely, well presented in proper take away containers, i.e. segmented insulated dishes.

Actually, if I tell the truth, Mrs. CM only ate half of hers so I had the other half for dinner that evening while she just had some pasta :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Where's Pepper Mill, please.

The Quinn Road Industrial Estate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Don't know if Casa Bianca (formerly the Sicilian) on Parnell St was mentioned here yet. Excellent Italian food, good pizza and pasta and all reasonable as well.
    Also Cloister is top notch.
    Was in JP Clarkes recently , food great but service all over the place. Dealt with at least 4 different waiters.

Great call with JP Clarkes, top notch spot, whether you're in the bar, loft or restaurant, I always found the staff there very good but there is a lot of them now that you mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

I like The Dining Room in Ennis ( formally Henry J's). I have yet to have a meal there that I didn't enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

buck65 wrote: »
    Don't know if Casa Bianca (formerly the Sicilian) on Parnell St was mentioned here yet. Excellent Italian food, good pizza and pasta and all reasonable as well.
    Also Cloister is top notch.
    Was in JP Clarkes recently , food great but service all over the place. Dealt with at least 4 different waiters.

I had a different experience in Casa Bianca just thinking of the food they served me makes me want to vomit. The service was awful though I would clearly put that at fault of the management the server was clearly very inexperienced & struggling to cope & had no obvious support. I managed one bite but couldn't stomach it the stench coming from the plate it was disgusting!! It actually smelt now gone off meat. Never again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Wow, I've eaten there at least a dozen times and have yet to have anything bar an excellent meal. Hope it was a once off.
    Dining Room is good, does anyone eat in Coco? I have a voucher there.

I've eaten in CoCo twice in the past few months, both times by meals have been excellent but other people at the table weren't that impressed. I would recommend sticking to the Chinese/Thai dishes on the menu, for the price you are paying it really is excellent though.

Looking through this thread I realise I eat out way too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Had a meal in the Weaver's Inn, Newmarket-on-Fergus the other evening.
    Food was excellent and service top notch.

I did notice it was less busy than other times I have eaten there.

I haven't eaten in The Hunter's Lodge Newmarket recently ..... anyone know if the food there is still as good as it was?
    Several years since I used it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

buck65 wrote: »
    Wow, I've eaten there at least a dozen times and have yet to have anything bar an excellent meal. Hope it was a once off.
    Dining Room is good, does anyone eat in Coco? I have a voucher there.

I've eaten in Coco a few times its always a good experience so you'll hopefully enjoy it. Sadly I will never give Casa Bianca another chance it left that much of a bad impression & I'm usually very easy going & would be one to say everyone deserves a second chance.

Advertisement