Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McFLURRY RIP ODD

Options
  • 04-01-2013 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

£0.99 in the north but I think they cost 2.35 in the republic!!!!! WTF
    never again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The mcflurry is on the uk "saver menu", so its unfair to compare them, esp. when you can get the similar sundaes here for €1, and they are 99p in the UK, ripoff uk?

apple pie in uk 99p, here €1.

(I think some things may have gone to €1.20 now, not sure if pies or sundaes, but still cheaper than the UK)
    never again
    never what again exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

rubadub wrote: »
    The mcflurry is on the uk "saver menu", so its unfair to compare them, esp. when you can get the similar sundaes here for €1, and they are 99p in the UK, ripoff uk?

apple pie in uk 99p, here €1.

(I think some things may have gone to €1.20 now, not sure if pies or sundaes, but still cheaper than the UK)

never what again exactly?

ok i was talking about mcflurrys mister .....only roughly 20 cent differ with sundaes but mcflurrys £0.99 or £1.29 for new flavours....still a long way off €2.35....
    never again mcflurrys in south
    this rip off ireland thread btw ;)
    leave it out....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ok i was talking about mcflurrys mister )
    You were talking about a special offer in the UK which is not on offer here. A ridiculous comparison, so I was pointing it out in case others fell for this nonsense.

No ripoff occurred here. A perfectly good alternative is available cheaper than you can get it in the UK and the sundae IS on the saver menu in the UK.
    this rip off ireland thread btw
    Yes, and I am demonstrating it is nothing particular to Ireland. You might have similar threads on UK forums making ridiculous statements/comparisons.

e.g. 6 nuggets are €2 here, on the eurosaver. In the uk it is £2.69 (€3.35), not on the saver. Stupid comparison

ok £1.29 mcflurry is equal to €2.35 down south.....
    fancy quoting there MOD

no SAVERs there ul find...i dont like sundaes....they were 1ozzy dollar back in the day...cud never spent my euros on em.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

no SAVERs there ul find...i dont like sundaes....they were 1ozzy dollar back in the day...cud never spent my euros on em.....

The other poster is right.

They are on PROMOTIONAL OFFER at 99p/1.29 in the UK.

You cannot compare a promotional price with a non-promotional price, because they're not on promotional offer here in the Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

then in the same vein we can say rip off McDonalds NI

6 chicken mc nuggets - south=2.00, NI = £2.69 (€3.40)
    apple pie south = 1.00, NI = 99p (1.23)
    tall latte south = 2.00, NI = £1.99 (2.46)

or maybe it just different promotions in different markets !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

keen to save money then?
    try buying offers only, try having a sandwich in your pocket and not eating out so casually - save it for occasions that matter

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    The other poster is right.

They are on PROMOTIONAL OFFER at 99p/1.29 in the UK.

You cannot compare a promotional price with a non-promotional price, because they're not on promotional offer here in the Republic.

the 99p is promotional but the £1.29 isnt.....
    I remember twisty fries being 1euro bout 5 years ago....now 2euro on the eurosaver???? WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

As has been said you cannot compare promotional products with products that are not on promotion down here.

anyway the mcflurry here isnt 2.35 its 2euro bang on. Not to mention that nuggets down here are cheaper, as are all coffees, and the apple pie.

So thats three things here that we have cheaper.

So why cant you point out the good aspects? We have certain cheaper products, despite the much higher wage rate mcdonalds pay their employees here, as well as the fact they pay higher prices for irish milk (my nephew drinks it and its stamped as being milked in ROI and has the National Dairy Council Mark) as well as the Bord Bia Origin Ireland for beef.

Which are surely good things no? Because if you want cheaper products then they wont have bord bia beef etc. But if that was the case maybe you'd be complaining about that instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

1.29 GBP = 1.58205 EUR

on top of that you can take higher VAT, and Pay rates, rent & service rates, corporation taxes, elextricity and insurances will probably justify the extra 75c somewhere.

you simply cannot compare UK prices directly with any irish republic prices as the overheads are simply more expensive here.

well corp tax is less in south for starters.....
    in dundrum shopping centre im sure it was 2.35//

its only a fooking ice cream..... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

well corp tax is less in south for starters.....
    in dundrum shopping centre im sure it was 2.35//

How much would it cost in time and petrol to drive from Dundrum to the nearest McDonalds in the North?

I'm pretty sure that would go a long way into eating up the savings involved in buying a cheaper McFlurry!

Corporate tax may be lower but they dont have a head office location here so all of their finances are probably channeled through the UK so probably of no benefit to them.

They will however have significantly higher:
    Distribution costs (Higher Petrol, insurance, road tax, wages)
    Rent is higher
    rates and services are higher
    payroll, prsy and paye is higher
    insurance is higher
    vat is slightly higher

While this whole thing is quite funny :p it actually is interesting because as Matt says most of the costs would be higher. However just to point out, you say:
    Corporate tax may be lower but they dont have a head office location here

they do have a head office here, afaik. Its in Clonskeagh according to their website. So I guess this brings about another reason as to the price differentiation.

If you have McDonalds, with its global operations based in the USA, well then you have mcdonalds here making money for them. But its Mcdonalds Restaurants of Ireland. So their offices are based here, they pay tax here, make money for franchisees here. The only thing is they get to use the McDonalds trade name and methods etc.

But it would be like a seperate company from the UK one. Some guy in some office in london says ok we'll sell x for 1.29. some guy in dublin says ok we can sell this for x amount on the eurosaver. same as ok we'll buy our milk from Dawn or Kerry Group and the guy in uk buys his milk from whoever.

Anywhoooo...because mcdonalds strives for uniformity in its operations at a customer level, people see mcdonalds as one big company, but it could be many smaller companies. ie selling iced tea in spain, beer in france, no beef products in india. So an Irish guy makes decisions in the Irish offices relevant to the Irish market.

I apologise i became quite fascinated with the sheer scale of these companies' operations :eek:. long story short, if a lad in an office in clonskeagh says lets sell this for two euro, and people buy it, well by god then why not take their money??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

If it's "only a fooking ice cream" why did you start a thread in Rip off Ireland claiming that McDonalds were ripping you off...

... LOL indeed.

now now.....this is a rip off ireland thread....and im right....!!!!! lol
    bloody ice cream

now now.....this is a rip off ireland thread....and im right....!!!!! lol
    bloody ice cream

Yeah, but as has been pointed out, there's no rip off to speak of with the ice cream.

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Yeah, but as has been pointed out, there's no rip off to speak of with the ice cream.
    your talking like a loyalist.....
    no???its only 47% more expensive. dont go talkin eurosaver again....its £1.29 regular price....

• Advertisement

How much would it cost in time and petrol to drive from Dundrum to the nearest McDonalds in the North?

I'm pretty sure that would go a long way into eating up the savings involved in buying a cheaper McFlurry!

was making a comparison you DUH///

im PRETTY sure your right with that information

no???its only 47% more expensive. dont go talkin eurosaver again....its £1.29 regular price....

Seriously, you're comparing me to a loyalist because I pointed out that you're wrong? :pac:

Overheads such as rent, utilities, wages, ingredients and so on are all more expensive in the republic of Ireland, so of course prices will be altered accordingly. Again, not a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I would say I was 12 when I was last called a "DUH"
    Are you 12 op or were you dropped on your head when you were a child?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

my head hurts from reading this thread.

hardly a ripoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"NEVER AGAIN!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Tell me why, You don't like Sundaes?♫♫♫:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

£0.99 in the north but I think they cost 2.35 in the republic!!!!! WTF
    never again

2.49 here in the Netherlands.

2.49 here in the Netherlands.

My god you guys are getting ripped off! That's not fair FFS

//runs off to sys forum to request a trollface smiley!

• Advertisement

ok leaving eurosaver out of it, its £1.29 without promotion which is E1.57.

You bought your Mcflurry in Dundrum for 2.35 this signals its probably a franchised store. as mcdonalds are famous for franchising. so some guy with a wife and family owns this as his own business and can set his own prices, as in my post above you have to think of Mcdonalds as many little businesses.

so if youre frustration is with the company then you must compare to a company owned store where they charge 2euro. So it sells for the equiv of nearly E1.60 in NI and E2 here. a mark up of 25% not 47%.

As has been said this isnt such a rip off if you consider it. I dont mind paying an extra 25% knowing they have a higher wage bill, that they now have a european meat plant in waterford, all their beef, milk, cheese and free range eggs are irish, and the spin off jobs that this creates.

Lets not get confused between more expensive and a rip off. i think the higher price has good logical explanations behind it.
    http://prelaunch.mcdonalds.ie/iehome/food/meal_bundles/dollar_menu.html
    i mean check this link. was on mcdonalds website, and due to an error i presume the american dollar menu is there. its $1 for a double cheese burger! thats like E0.75cent. But its two euro here. I'd still rather pay the 2euro for the irish beef, 75cent isnearly to cheap and too good to be true.

Advertisement