Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation: making my head spin!

Options
  • 04-01-2013 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭

I have been readng the threads here on insulation and other online articles and its making my head spin.

We are going to be renovating a 1950's (apparenty) cavity wall house with 1980's 2nd story extension )2nd story built on existing flat roof structure)

Every insulation method I have read about it apears that there are negatives associated with it
    beads: don't work/don't fill cavity properly/don't last BUT they are cheap and this is a large house- and freezing!
    dry lining-creates a bridge for the damp, there are cold spots at the joints, messy
    external: very expensive, changes the appeearance of your house.

The thoughts of damp worry me greatly. The house is currently dry as a bone, but cold.
    It would be great to get the bads done and spend the extra money elsewhere (lots to do)

Also, whatever insulation I get, would I need to get the widows done at the same time? In other words, if I do the insulation and then get my windows replaced, do I have to then redo the insulation/ doing the windows will wreck it a bit.

I relalise that everyone has their own opnion on best/worst insulation, but what would you advise for qulaity yet strongly keeping cost in mind, and NO damp!
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Here's my 2 cents. I'm no expert but, so take it with a pinch of salt:
    1. Do the windows first. Triple glazing if you can afford it, at least double if you cant.
    2. Use insulated slabs. The thicker the insulation, the better. I'd use 50mm, it sounds adequate for a house like you've described. Its clean, easy to install, you just slap it up against the inside of your outer walls, and skim over it.
    3. You could use breathable membrane / vapour barrier behind your slabs. I know of dozens of houses and extensions that didnt, and they're fine. Do if you can, but its not a must IMO.
    4. You will always have some cold bridging somewhere, no matter what you do. The trick is to minimise it, not eradicate it totally. At the moment, you could say that your entire house is one giant cold bridge! If you reduce that by 80%, thats a massive improvement from your current situation.
    5. Damp wise, if you're dry now, you'll be even drier after you insulate. If you're damp now, try to sort that out as much as possible before you insulate ie. divert the source of water, or plaster the outside walls.
    As I said, I'm no expert, but I've seen dozens and dozens and dozens of places insulated like that over the years. I'm sure there's better ways, but thats the way I'd do it. I'm sure someone will come on here and rip my suggestions apart! But sure isn't that what boards is for!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As said, double or triple glazing.

If you can, internal insulation by yourself cuts down on the cost, but you'll need to keep in mind any plug sockets, etc, will need to rewired, etc.

External insulation; have seen it done very well, and unless pointed out, you wouldn't notice it. Still recommend you put the insulation into the attic.

Damp wise; look into getting an extractor fan from above the shower, that pumps the steam outside. Found this to be the main cause of dampness in general in the bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

I have been readng the threads here on insulation and other online articles and its making my head spin.

We are going to be renovating a 1950's (apparenty) cavity wall house with 1980's 2nd story extension )2nd story built on existing flat roof structure)

Every insulation method I have read about it apears that there are negatives associated with it
    beads: don't work/don't fill cavity properly/don't last BUT they are cheap and this is a large house- and freezing!
    dry lining-creates a bridge for the damp, there are cold spots at the joints, messy
    external: very expensive, changes the appeearance of your house.

The thoughts of damp worry me greatly. The house is currently dry as a bone, but cold.
    It would be great to get the bads done and spend the extra money elsewhere (lots to do)

Also, whatever insulation I get, would I need to get the widows done at the same time? In other words, if I do the insulation and then get my windows replaced, do I have to then redo the insulation/ doing the windows will wreck it a bit.

I relalise that everyone has their own opnion on best/worst insulation, but what would you advise for qulaity yet strongly keeping cost in mind, and NO damp!
    Thanks

Pay for an assessment by a professional who has expenience in renovating existing buildings and/or also one who has investigated problems in buildings caused by poor refurb specification.

Advertisement