Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Pictures of Cork City Mod Note #26

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

In my mind, it's nothing more than a 1960s concrete monstrosity. Have to wonder how many terrace buildings were knocked to build it.

How much better would the entire quay look if both Merchants Quay and the Bus Station were replaced with tasteful buildings as seen on Patrick Street.

How about repairing the remaining buildings on the quays that are dilapidated, That Glenville place is like something out of Detroit.
    I'm not going to argue with you as you are entitled to your opinion but I think the newer buildings are far cleaner and neater than the older buildings, Don't get me wrong we have some stunning older buildings and warehouses on the quays but they are hardly used for anything and most of them are run down.

I actually notice how Merchants quay and Camden Quay compliment each other due to the red brick used, Same with the corner apartment building on Carrolls Quay.

I like your idea about combining the bus/rail but it would only work properly if the buses were as close to the quay to facilitate walking. As it stands I like the existing station due to its central location.

In fairness Cork has come a long way in ten years, Its not as grey and miserable as it once was.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

charlemont wrote: »
    Its not as grey and miserable as it once was.

I must get a pair of your glasses :D;)

All the empty buildings on Patrick street, the pound shops in the old CIE office. The big eye sore that is the Capital Cinema/Murrays, The horrible cheap look of the Queens old castle now. The horrendous block that is Merchants quay. Washington street and its crumbling facades and tacky take-away restaurants. All the empty buildings around Parnell place and towards the end of the south mall, that ugly FAS building.

The English market is a gem, and I think the area by Electric is a great improvement, if only the old Grand hotel could be redeveloped and open up more of the area for a cafe/restaurant venue it would bring even more life there.

I better stop bringing this thread off topic, but will say some great pictures posted, sadly a lot of them show how great Cork used to look. It might be rose tinted glasses but it certainly seemed better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Wonder could someone point me in the right direction - I live Northside and regularly walk my dog around the grounds of the old St Kevins land overlooking the Lee Road. Would any have, or know where to find, pictures of this place when it was functional. The area is absolutely huge and is completely desolate at the moment.

http://www.abandonedireland.com/skv.html

There are a few ways to get in, but there is no money you would give me to go in there. Far too much a nervous norman to even consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

gimmick wrote: »
    Wonder could someone point me in the right direction - I live Northside and regularly walk my dog around the grounds of the old St Kevins land overlooking the Lee Road. Would any have, or know where to find, pictures of this place when it was functional. The area is absolutely huge and is completely desolate at the moment.

http://www.abandonedireland.com/skv.html

There are a few ways to get in, but there is no money you would give me to go in there. Far too much a nervous norman to even consider it.

Well if you think it's creepy looking now…

867fa72683f5fed6f13e23698a5c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

evilivor wrote: »
    Well if you think it's creepy looking now…

867fa72683f5fed6f13e23698a5c.jpg

nasty nasty place, few of us went in maybe five years ago.. dead crows everywhere, writing scrawled into the walls, old medicine cabinets, wheelchairs.. didn't bother me at the time, but thinking back.. resident evil like. Of course we just drank beer and had wheelchair races :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

we just drank beer and had wheelchair races :P
    Beer and wheelchairs. Brilliant!:pac:

Advertisement