Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving INSURANCE in Canada, IS IT EXPENSIVE?

• 04-01-2013 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering does anyone have any experience in getting car insurance in Ontario, Canada? I am 23 years old, with 4 years no claims bonus in Ireland. I assume I won't be able to use these no claims bonuses over there, and before I get insurance to drive I'll have to pass a Canadian driving license, right? That's not an issue anyway, I hear that insurance costs are dear over there, and especially with big engine sizes that Canadians have, I'm a bit worried how much insurance is going to set me back... Ideally I'm looking to get something big, like a V8, but not sure if that will be possible. Any tips/hints/ideas? MUCH APPRECIATED...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

nobodiez wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering does anyone have any experience in getting car insurance in Ontario, Canada? I am 23 years old, with 4 years no claims bonus in Ireland. I assume I won't be able to use these no claims bonuses over there, and before I get insurance to drive I'll have to pass a Canadian driving license, right? That's not an issue anyway, I hear that insurance costs are dear over there, and especially with big engine sizes that Canadians have, I'm a bit worried how much insurance is going to set me back... Ideally I'm looking to get something big, like a V8, but not sure if that will be possible. Any tips/hints/ideas? MUCH APPRECIATED...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056804968

Check that out as alot of discussion went on about no claims bonuses as well as getting a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nobodiez

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056804968

Check that out as alot of discussion went on about no claims bonuses as well as getting a license.

Thanks a lot man! Was a great help

Still not quite sure as to will they recognise my no claims bonus from Ireland, a guy there said that they would, and another guy said that they didn't recognise his, as obviously the traffic here is on the opposite side of the road...

I couldn't get any recognition for my no claims bonus despite having letters from my insurance company and the county council. It seems to depend on the region and the companies. Shop around, as I say in the other thread one company quoted me nearly 3 times the quote I went with in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nobodiez

Did you also have to pass the driving test in there? If you don't mind me asking, can you tell me how much you paid for your insurance first time you were there, and for car and what engine? So I have an idea of what I may expect... ;) Cheers

nobodiez wrote: »
    Did you also have to pass the driving test in there? If you don't mind me asking, can you tell me how much you paid for your insurance first time you were there, and for car and what engine? So I have an idea of what I may expect... ;) Cheers

Yeah had to do the test again. Passed it first go thank God! The quote we went with in the end was around 3500 dollars. Work paid for it as it's a work vehicle. Got insured in November on a 2013 model Toyota Tacoma V6. I'm a 24 yo male and they considered me to only have one weeks driving experience as the Irish stuff was irrelevant to them. I'm on Ontario though and it seems to vary between provinces, apparently in New Brunswick you just swap the license and I think you might even get your no claims bonus carried over too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement