Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year old waking twice at night

Options
  • 04-01-2013 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Happy New Year!
    Our little one is 1 next week, but is still waking at night for a bottle. In the last 2 weeks she's been waking twice - around 12 and then again around 4 and drinks 4oz of bottle. Im just wondering if this is normal or how can we gradually get her out of this? She's also teething which might be another reason.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

No advice here, but plenty of sympathy.

My little one is 14.5 months, sleeps for about 4 or 5 hours (from about 7 to 12) and then wakes anything between 3 and 6 times until she gets up. Last night it was from 1am and every hour until we got up this morning at 7. Shattered is not the word. She's still breastfed, so I know that's part of the problem - that's all she'll settle for, but it's starting to get so hard. She used to only wake once a night, up until I went back to work in August & she started getting sick - 3 colds, vomiting bug etc. Really need to break the pattern, but hard to do when you're so shattered. Had planned to try over the Christmas break, but she got 4 molars in 3 weeks & had a bad cold, so went off her solids completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Oral Slang wrote: »
    No advice here, but plenty of sympathy.

My little one is 14.5 months, sleeps for about 4 or 5 hours (from about 7 to 12) and then wakes anything between 3 and 6 times until she gets up. Last night it was from 1am and every hour until we got up this morning at 7. Shattered is not the word. She's still breastfed, so I know that's part of the problem - that's all she'll settle for, but it's starting to get so hard. She used to only wake once a night, up until I went back to work in August & she started getting sick - 3 colds, vomiting bug etc. Really need to break the pattern, but hard to do when you're so shattered. Had planned to try over the Christmas break, but she got 4 molars in 3 weeks & had a bad cold, so went off her solids completely.

Sounds very like us! My wife breastfed for 6 months and then we changed to bottles. All was going really well, eating loads of food, etc until she got a bug before Christmas. Went off everything apart from her bottles. She got 2 colds then as well so its only since Christmas day she's gone back to eating and is in super form now. But she is teething and chewing on everything and anything she can so that might be part of the problem with her waking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

OP what size bottle does she get before going to bed? You might want to start to up that by 2oz and she should sleep through the 12 feed. If she wakes for the 4 feed give her water, she wont bother waking for the water and should start to sleep through the night! Worked for our four, including twins which was a pain as one would wake the other but after 3 months they were sleeping through the night so it is possible.

Other things to look out for: is the room too bright or too dark, is the room too cold, is the room too quiet ( I always have a ticking clock in the room, I think it comforts them!)

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Change your routine feed the baby at about 7pm making sure that they get a good feed put to bed at 8 to 8.30 with 8 oz bottle. Our 15 month will eat a small tin of spagetti and maybe 2 yogurts an hour before going to bed with an 8 oz bottle and sleeps until 6 am. Your child is now a lot more active than even a month ago, they might be walking and you will find will sleep for 2 hrs in the middle of the day. So you should be able to let them stay up a little longer and this could help.

branners69 wrote: »
    OP what size bottle does she get before going to bed? You might want to start to up that by 2oz and she should sleep through the 12 feed. If she wakes for the 4 feed give her water, she wont bother waking for the water and should start to sleep through the night! Worked for our four, including twins which was a pain as one would wake the other but after 3 months they were sleeping through the night so it is possible.

Other things to look out for: is the room too bright or too dark, is the room too cold, is the room too quiet ( I always have a ticking clock in the room, I think it comforts them!)

Best of luck!

Hey branners69, she only ever drinks 6oz bottles. She's never gone to the 8oz. She gets her tea (spaghetti hoops & toast, or a lentil puree or something like that) between 5.30 and 6 and then her bottle about 7.30 and bed at 8.

Room is dark with the door slightly open and the hall light on. Its not too hot or cold, but it might be too quiet.

Might try the water tonight if she wakes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Hey branners69, she only ever drinks 6oz bottles. She's never gone to the 8oz. She gets her tea (spaghetti hoops & toast, or a lentil puree or something like that) between 5.30 and 6 and then her bottle about 7.30 and bed at 8.

You might want to start spreading the above apart, feed her earlier say 5pm on the dot and try her with an 8oz at 8pm. This will only be for a week or so then go back to the bottle at 7.30pm
    Room is dark with the door slightly open and the hall light on. Its not too hot or cold, but it might be too quiet.

I found that if the room was too dark they wake during the night and have no idea where they are and wake up more, so if the room is slightly bright they can see a picture on the wall or their dolly and then go back asleep. IKEA do a great pink light in the shape of a flower for around €10 (I think!)

If the heating or some other noise happens in the house and they are used to quiet it can bring them through, but the noise of the clock makes them used to not pure quiet! Or so I tell myself, but with four kids six and under and all sleeping from 7.30pm for the youngest and 8.30pm for the eldest to 7.30am - 8am in the morning it seems to work!
    Might try the water tonight if she wakes!

Its all about trying different things until it clicks! But once it does stick with the same routine always!!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

whitelightrider thats shattering stuff alright, I hope it doesnt go like that for us. Ours wont be 1yr old til April but we are getting the full night now with prob only 2 short lift&comforts thru the night, sometimes none.

He gets about 3 naps during the day, the last one at 5.30ish. He has his dinner around 4 and his supper around 7-8, then once we get him past 9, its ok to change him and put him down, he is taking only about 1 oz lately on that last bottle and he's conked. I'm not saying he is asleep by 9.05, but by roughly ten he is down asleep. Tonight it was 9.20, last night 11pm, you know yourself. If he wakes during the night, theres rarely water needed, but no milk. He stretched from a 6am wakeup thru December to nearly 8am over Christmas.

Hope a little of our routine might help you....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Branners that's a really good suggestion about the clock, I must try that with my little guy.
    I thought we'd hit the jackpot when he started sleeping 12 hours through the night from 11 weeks old, but at 6 months old we had a run of 3+ weeks unwell, two courses of antibiotics & since then he has never settled back into a proper sleep routine.
    He's 8 months now, barely sleeps in the day (2 x 30-40 min cat naps max) but he's waking twice in the night for a feed.
    He has a massive appetite, so I'm hoping it's just a growth spurt & that once he starts crawling it might tire him out so he reverts to his full night sleeps.

At the moment he's taking 6 - 8 9oz bottles & 3 meals of solids! he has a savage little appetite on him. Thankfully he does dose off straight away once he has his bottles, but it's still two breaks in my sleep during the night (normally 1 & 4-5am). I really hope he goes back to his previous good sleeping pattern.

I feel the pain for anyone else who is up several times during the night with a non sleeper

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Hi. We hit the same problem. She was sleeping through and then hit three weeks of tummy flus or colds. Went off solids completely and it's been a trial getting her back eating everything she used to eat.

As a consequence she stopped sleeping through and started needing 1-2 bottles a night.

I've found the days she not given any bread are some of the best nights sleeps and also when she eats her solid food well - some days she's very bad (today being one of them).

If she has eaten enough solid food during the day the night time bottle isn't as important. Last night she drank half her 8 ounces but slept through - but we'd spent the day with her gran who's a brilliant cook and convinced her to eat pasta ( one of the many foods she went off and never returned to) for lunch and dinner so she had a full store going to bed anyway.

Teething doesn't help, but with ours it's the food has been more important.

I hope that helps, but it will be a tough time until you've yours figured out. Every child is different. :) good luck!

Hey folks, well we got her back on solid food after all of the sickness and she's slowly getting back to normal.
    Im going to have to look at her diet more closely (I make her food and my wife does the washing :) ). I just want to make sure that she's getting enough food! Maybe thats why she's waking.

Oh and another quick one - we're using Aptamil 1 (blue tub) but our little one is 1 now. Should we switch to another or what did you folks do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We switched to ordinary cows milk at 12 months. Not sure there is any reason to continue the formula except for convenience reasons if she eats normally. Whatever is easiest really.

pwurple wrote: »
    We switched to ordinary cows milk at 12 months. Not sure there is any reason to continue the formula except for convenience reasons if she eats normally. Whatever is easiest really.

I think normal milk would be better to be honest and probably fill her up as well. Ill have a chat to the boss later tonight. Dont want to hold our little one back either by keeping her on this formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Hope you get it sorted.

We've had diarrhoea & vomiting, followed by a dreadful cold & sore throat this week, so solids are completely off the cards. Thankfully I'm still feeding her, as cows milk would have been far too heavy on her stomach during the vomiting & cause too much mucus with her cold. Sleeping is still a nightmare, but don't mind because she's been so sick. Hopefully once all this illness is gone, she might start eating a bit & sleep a bit more.

Advertisement