Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quit smoking best methods cork

• 04-01-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

Finally ready to Kick my bad habit. Tried numerous time to quit smoking and succeeded for a while then went back on them.

Just wondering anybody recommend a hypnosis or similar method in the cork area to help you quit smoking for good

Appreciate any recommendations

Thanks,
    Sophie

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Moved from Smoking forum.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Hi Sophie welcome to boards.
    The problem with nicotine replacement is that with nic tabs, patches or inhalers is that people are still putting nicotine into their blood stream and they will eventually have to detox of these. Is it prolonging the detox, some say it is.
    After numerous attempts it was champix that helped me give up the fags.
    I know people who read Alan Carrs book,the easy way to give up smoking. And they have found it a great help. I would say thats your first port of call.
    It will educate you on the nature of addiction which is a great help in beating the addiction. All the best on your journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

I read Alan Carrs book and it made no difference to me I just kept smoking away I know many others that read it and quit straight away. You have to read it wanting to quit and be prepared. I wouldn't say it's a quick fix but it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Funkyapple

Hi All,

I quit 14 weeks ago after 10 years of smoking. I thought I would never ever do it. I quit for three weeks (a year ago) in preparation for an operation. After the op, I went on a night out and said I would just have the one but of course I went straight back on them. 14 weeks ago, my mother found cigarettes in my bag and was extremely upset as I told her I quit. This spurred me on to actually quit. I used the e-cigarette for the first two weeks to deal with the big cravings, then I went to the chemist and got a much lighter inhaler and eventually I stopped using it and now I don’t smoke anything at all! I have kind of amazed myself.

The E-cig is not approved by any medical body so it’s not ideal. It’s a huge whack of nicotine per puff. It lights up and you actually blow out smoke so you feel like it is a cig. Its good mentally because you’re not actually smoking a fag. It is about 7euro and available in off-licences and spar shops etc. It made my throat very dry and I coughed a lot but it 100% got me over the initial cravings and nights out. It tastes rotten at first but you get used to it.
    The nicotine inhaler available in the chemist is controlled release of nicotine. It got me through the next three weeks until I genuinely forgot about it! This cost me 7euro and lots of will power

After quitting, my chest was really bad, I was constantly chesty and my skin broke out. I was tired, miserable but so ridiculously proud of myself which spurred me on

I did the quitting method that suited me but everyone is different. Now I don't crave fags or even want one. My chest is clear and I feel brilliant. I have no idea why I smoked in the first place and tbh, it was a lot easier than I thought. Also people around me were very supportive so that also helped.

Best of luck to all:)

Advertisement