Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Common is a False Negative?!

Options
  • 04-01-2013 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi!

Possibly clutching at straws here!!

TTC since around September 2012.

Started using the OPK sticks in November. OPK said I ovulated 28th November.
    Period due around the 10th December, tested on 11th Dec and it was negative. (Cycle still a bit irregular since I came off the pill, so could have tested too early but it was a CB digital test…)
    What I think was my period arrived 17th Dec extremely light for 4 days but on days 3 and 4 was almost non-existent, just a trace.
    Boobs have been super tender since early-mid December, nipples especially sore to touch.

Used an OPK on NYE, the test line was dark dark red in colour, made the control line look faint!
    Have been feeling really nauseous since the weekend, I am a meat lover but the thoughts of red meat is turning my stomach the last few days. Had really bad cramps yesterday as if my period was coming but not due for another 12 days.

What are the chances of the test in December showing a false negative? I really hope so!! Can an OPK show I am ovulating if I am pregnant?
    Period due 15th Jan, will really try and not test until then but I really want to!!

Hope this all made sense, I’m new to all this and very confused!!

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If you drank loads of water or tested in the evening there may not have been enough hormone in the urine to test.

The OPK will go positive if you are pregnant I think, as the hormones are quite similar.

Having said that, I found that once the pill went from my system and I started having real cycles, ovarian pain, niggles, cramps, tenderness and mood were more obvious. I also ate in rings around me at certain times of the month.

Take a pregnancy test in the morning with first urine. If negative, test in another 2 weeks.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Opk WILL show a positive. I was using them and got positives for a week, but only had the pregnancy confirmed in hospital. Get a two pack of First Response and test with first urine of the day a couple of days apart.

Advertisement