Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ipad mini Or New Ipad Or Refurbed Ipad ?

• 04-01-2013 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭

Looking for a tablet, was going to buy a Nexus 7 based on the price and reviews. I'm now after looking at my friends Ipad 2, I like them and I think I will stick to apple. The Ipad will be happy next to my iphone :D
    What do you suggest :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I read an article recently on the Windows Supersite about buying tablets and the guys advice was, don't buy into particular devices, go for ecosystems. I guess what that means is look at perhaps what devices you have, or are going to buy, what you are going to use them for, what apps you want or need to run on them. Are there apps you want to run on your iPhone and tablet? Then you'd need to be sure they're available for both (assuming you go with a non iPad) etc.

I currently have an iPhone and I want to buy a tablet but I keep switching between wanting a Windows Surface or an iPad. I prefer the UI on the Windows Surface and some of the hardware features. However at the same time there are some limitations with the Surface RT and those limitations are removed with the Windows Surface Pro, but for that you get half the battery life (about 4 hours).

Whereas the iPad would fit in well with my apps, my music purchases from iTunes and the fact I already have an iPhone. However I find their OS out of date and it doesn't have some of the hardware features I like on the Surface.

Sorry to go off tangent there a wee bit but that's the process I'm going through in my head myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭OU812

Have an iPad 1 & was thinking of upgrading to a 3, however I played with a mini last week & am very taken with it. Ha everything I want in a more compact lighter form with very little give up on screen real estate.

Might wait a couple of months & see what the iPad mini 2 is like before committing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm pondering this as well. I want to pick up a tablet before I go on holiday at the end of April so I don't think waiting for the 'new' Mini will be an option. I really can't decide between the 4, the Mini or maybe one of the Nexus ones. I have an Android phone and don't see that changing any time soon however when it comes to tablets I do like the Apple products.

I'm currently waying up the extra size and newer hardware of the 4 vs the extra convenience and portability (and much lower price) of the Mini. It's a tough choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I had a look at the iPad mini in a shop in Dundrum. It's definitely very nice, but I think for me the screen is just a bit too small. I'm looking for something to kind of replace a laptop for internet browsing and email.

I'd also expect Apple to release an updated iPad mini in the next few months with a retina display and possibly some other sort of improvements also.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The mini is good for travel or commuting, but the screen is just not good enough compared to the iPhone 4/4s/5 or the iPad 3/4. If you have a late model iPhone then I doubt you could live with it full time.

If its for home than stretch to a 3 or a 4, if mostly for travel go for the mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

copacetic wrote: »
    The mini is good for travel or commuting, but the screen is just not good enough compared to the iPhone 4/4s/5 or the iPad 3/4. If you have a late model iPhone then I doubt you could live with it full time.

If its for home than stretch to a 3 or a 4, if mostly for travel go for the mini.

Small detail; iPhone 4 is not retina (like 4s) and screen is similar to iPad mini.
    Have iPhone 5 and notice quality difference between that and my iPad mini. It's not so bad I can't live with it though (actually site that looks worst on it is boards!). Will be getting mini retina when it comes out but I expect that it will not be before fall 2013... Full size iPad too big (and expensive) for me but I also use a MacBook Pro so it's not a pc replacement for me. I think I would take a MacBook Air over a full size iPad...

Edit: I was wrong; iPhone 4 does have retina...

That's basically what I said isn't it? And I said: iPhone 4 is NOT retina... The poster I quoted said it was like iPhone 4S/5 iPad 3/4... The small detail I was clearing up is that the iPhone 4 does not belong in the list of retina devices.

Edit: and I was wrong about the detail... iPhone 4 does seem to have a retina display...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

flyguy wrote: »
    That's basically what I said isn't it? And I said: iPhone 4 is NOT retina... The poster I quoted said it was like iPhone 4S/5 iPad 3/4... The small detail I was clearing up is that the iPhone 4 does not belong in the list of retina devices.

I'm going out on a limb here to say that the above couldn't be more wrong. The iPhone 4 was the first 'retina' device and both it and the 4S are 960 × 640 px at 326 ppi.

Back to the OP's question, the best advice relates to the eco-system, as above. When I got an iPad, having all, or most of, the paid apps transferrable was a big bonus. Plus, having calendars, reminders and notes syncing so easily is great.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Small detail; iPhone 4 is not retina (like 4s) and screen is similar to iPad mini.
    Have iPhone 5 and notice quality difference between that and my iPad mini. It's not so bad I can't live with it though (actually site that looks worst on it is boards!). Will be getting mini retina when it comes out but I expect that it will not be before fall 2013... Full size iPad too big (and expensive) for me but I also use a MacBook Pro so it's not a pc replacement for me. I think I would take a MacBook Air over a full size iPad...

iPhone 4 DOES have retina display ;)

kceire wrote: »

iPhone 4 DOES have retina display ;)

Yeez feel stupid now, was convinced iPhone 4 didn't have it....
    Not to self; google stuff first before writing incorrect info, sorry i'll try not to do it again...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yeez feel stupid now, was convinced iPhone 4 didn't have it....
    Not to self; google stuff first before writing incorrect info, sorry i'll try not to do it again...

Ha ha we all do it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

I had iPhone 4 now I have the 5 didn't notice any huge difference in the screen.
    I also bought a refurb iPad 2 for approx €320 having looked at the iPad 3 I couldn't justify the extra bobs
    As for the mini I'm still undecided I would say if I was doing a bit if travel and using an iPad for watching movies it would be too small
    My missus reads the odd book on it but the mini would be fine for this,according to the boss

Whenever I'm buying again it will be a refurb if possible,it was as new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

They don't seem to have any Ipad 2 refurbs on apple.ie.
    I'm thinking about getting the Ipad 3 refurb over the mini.

A8oQH.jpg?1

What do ppl think ?

I think good choice, if you want to go for the full size iPad the refurb 3 would be my choice as well. Only a bit more expensive than an iPad 2 but with much better spec (processor & retina screen). Nearly as good as the iPad 4 but a good bit cheaper. I said before; iPad 3 seems best value for money at the moment...

Advertisement