Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodworm

• 04-01-2013 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I have a woodworm infestation to deal with. I have a property that was lived in by an elderly relative and its just buzzing with these insects. As far as I can tell its in every room. and some floorboards are like swiss cheese. I feel like demolishing the whole house but its a semi-detached. Well, thats a slight exaggeration!

I intend having the house renovated and letting it out then. Am I better off getting a professional company to survey and then carry out the woodworm treatment (2-2.5k I estimate)? I have been reading about options and I think the likes of Protim is now a banned product? It has a similar content to Cyclone-B. I can do the spraying job myself but I dont know if it would be effective enough. Its certainly got to be cheaper.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

I have a woodworm infestation to deal with. I have a property that was lived in by an elderly relative and its just buzzing with these insects. As far as I can tell its in every room. and some floorboards are like swiss cheese. I feel like demolishing the whole house but its a semi-detached. Well, thats a slight exaggeration!

I intend having the house renovated and letting it out then. Am I better off getting a professional company to survey and then carry out the woodworm treatment (2-2.5k I estimate)? I have been reading about options and I think the likes of Protim is now a banned product? It has a similar content to Cyclone-B. I can do the spraying job myself but I dont know if it would be effective enough. Its certainly got to be cheaper.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

If its as bad as you say, I would definitely involve an expert - what might seem expensive now could prove an extremely poor choice if the problem is not dealt with thoroughly - especially if you are letting it out and either the problem goes unmonitored, or it infects the furniture of your tenant

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

homer911 wrote: »

If its as bad as you say, I would definitely involve an expert - what might seem expensive now could prove an extremely poor choice if the problem is not dealt with thoroughly - especially if you are letting it out and either the problem goes unmonitored, or it infects the furniture of your tenant

Dead right. You need a professional to do this. It is a difficult and dangerous job to spray every nook and cranny and you need to keep it off of soft furnishings. This Is One of those jobs that are better done by a pro.

Btw I am not in the business.

Advertisement