Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hip Hop Gigs 2013

• 04-01-2013 12:56pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New year, new thread.

First up is my Soul/RnB/Funk Co-Mods shindig tonight:
    vng3z.jpg

A few slightly bigger ones with Kendrick Lemar on the 14th Jan and Eminem in Slane in the Summer.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Homeboy Sandman is playing the Sugar Club on March 9th.

I will be there. No doubt in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Diminutive Wayne is playing the O2 as well, lest we forget.

Look out for Masta Ace possibly coming to town in April/May. He says he trying to organise a UK tour for that time, could see him being booked for The Button Factory or the Village over here. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

on the ticket for eminem it has /50 cent and confirmed as the anger management tour 3... more than likely there will be a few from shady and g unit there so, personally i hope slaughterhouse and banks show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

on the ticket for eminem it has /50 cent and confirmed as the anger management tour 3... more than likely there will be a few from shady and g unit there so, personally i hope slaughterhouse and banks show up.

Does it?? Haven't even opened up mine yet, must have a look today..

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

LUPE wrote: »
    Diminutive Wayne is playing the O2 as well, lest we forget.

Look out for Masta Ace possibly coming to town in April/May. He says he trying to organise a UK tour for that time, could see him being booked for The Button Factory or the Village over here. Fingers crossed.

Masta Ace skips Ireland all the time, he has been on UK/European ours for the past few years now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Masta Ace skips Ireland all the time, he has been on UK/European ours for the past few years now

Its ridiculous the amount of artists we miss out on but play just across the shore, the promoters here need to get the finger out.

TheBza wrote: »
    Its ridiculous the amount of artists we miss out on but play just across the shore, the promoters here need to get the finger out.

It's not the case really, the promoters normally are contacted and given the rates etc.
    They would pass some artists over if the cost outweighs what they expect to generate in revenue on the night.

Put it this way, Action Bronson was a sellout twice last year. That would be pretty much a guarantee and a money spinner.

There was a really good gig with the Bodega Brothers and Tanya Morgan last year which was empty last year. would have made a loss if the artist cost wasn't so low.

So there is a lot of economics behind who we get to see.

It's not the case really, the promoters normally are contacted and given the rates etc.
    They would pass some artists over if the cost outweighs what they expect to generate in revenue on the night.

Put it this way, Action Bronson was a sellout twice last year. That would be pretty much a guarantee and a money spinner.

There was a really good gig with the Bodega Brothers and Tanya Morgan last year which was empty last year. would have made a loss if the artist cost wasn't so low.

So there is a lot of economics behind who we get to see.
    Yea, suppose your right, i was just being a bit harsh, suppose the size of our country etc. and the genre in general would make it a lot harder to attract the crowds needed. Its just frustrating seeing quality hip hop artists playing the UK and not here.

TheBza wrote: »
    Yea, suppose your right, i was just being a bit harsh, suppose the size of our country etc. and the genre in general would make it a lot harder to attract the crowds needed. Its just frustrating seeing quality hip hop artists playing the UK and not here.

I completely feel your pain.

We used to have so many gigs and venues here in Dublin and they were always packed.
    I think the only gig I've been to where it wasnt was Bus Driver/Beans/Rob Sonic in Crawdaddy a few years ago.

Excellent gig, except Beans wasnt up to much, but I watched Rob Sonic while yapping away to Bus Driver which was pretty cool.

I'm always on the lookout for people hitting Europe as well, I tend to do a bit of travel so try to co-ordinate that with my travel plans.

Noway man, that gig completely went under radar, I don't think I heard anything about that, I'd say that was class.

I would love to be able to travel more abroad and see more gigs away from home, just very restricted with college/work commitments, but you cant beat the Irish crowed compared to abroad, we go nuts, can be a bit flat in some countries. You never know though with this year, could be a good year for a few hip hop gigs, I thought it was a bit too quiet last year bar a few. Would you know any decent hip hop nights in dublin? I know sweeneys is good for soul and funk etc. but wouldnt mind seeing a few decent hip hop djs about.

• Advertisement

DJ Flip has a few regular spots, I think in Alchemy on Thursdays, and 4 Dame Lane on Fridays.

But you never know what you'll get with Flip, it could be the transformers theme tune all night, a Black Eyed Peas night, or classic 90's hip hop!

i think Rap Ireland put on a few nights as well, if you add them on facebook or look up their website you'll get more info.

Cheers man, i will definitely look in to that. sound!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Yo Boom_Bap! One of your favourite rappers, Homeboy Sandman, is playing in The Sugar Club on the 9th of March.

Check it out!

Raekwon wrote: »
    Yo Boom_Bap! One of your favourite rappers, Homeboy Sandman, is playing in The Sugar Club on the 9th of March.

Check it out!

Go back to post #2 on the thread....way ahead of you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Go back to post #2 on the thread....way ahead of you :D

D'oh! I completely missed that post :o I just got an email from Choice Cuts this afternoon so thought I'd bring it too your attention.

Nas has a European Tour coming up in March. No Irish date.

http://www.nasirjones.com/events

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Nas has a European Tour coming up in March. No Irish date.

http://www.nasirjones.com/events

Could well have popped down to Birmingham to see him but I'm starting my placement that week. Another time.

Check out Openair Frauenfeld in Switzerland, a festival that they have on each summer. Always gets huge names, this year Wu-Tang Clan and :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: A Tribe Called Quest are already confirmed. My only problem is no one will go with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Wow Lupe, thats a class show. Deadly line up last year. How much do you think it would cost to go?

nazmoalex wrote: »
    Wow Lupe, thats a class show. Deadly line up last year. How much do you think it would cost to go?

€152 for the three days.

• Advertisement

You should check out the Splash! Festival in Berlin as well.

Only a few of the lineup have been announced so far:
    http://www.splash-festival.de/line-up/artists-a-z.html

Tribe, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Angel Haze are the big ones so far.

You should check out the Splash! Festival in Berlin as well.

Only a few of the lineup have been announced so far:
    http://www.splash-festival.de/line-up/artists-a-z.html

Tribe, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Angel Haze are the big ones so far.

Nice one. Looks like they've had a good few of the same acts over the years so two good options for summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Any idea on how tickets will be distributed? Will it be a first come, first serve/be on the Heineken website at 8:59 that morning thing or will they be given to applicants at random?

i got tickets through the heineken gigs before, years ago, you have to register to them i think, and request the tickets when they are released then you wait for an email to see if you got them, i think, its 5 or 6 years since i done it, so i could be wrong. il see if i can root out the email if its still in my inbox, see if it says anything.

Just checked there, it was the heineken green sphere's gig events i went to, for that you apply for the tickets for you and a friend before tickets are released, then when they're released the lucky ones get an email saying they have them. The asap gig though is Heineken Music Live Project, so could be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Good lord I want to go to that.

I've just heard about a gig that has been booked in the Twisted Pepper in early May. Can't say anything yet, but there will be some very happy people on this forum.

It better not be someone that I like cause I won't be around for it.

• Advertisement

It better not be someone that I like cause I won't be around for it.

It is someone you like, I've even looked through your post history to confirm.

It is someone you like, I've even looked through your post history to confirm.

When can you say?

I've just heard about a gig that has been booked in the Twisted Pepper in early May. Can't say anything yet, but there will be some very happy people on this forum.

Newschool or oldskool heads??

I'm going to be first to guess - Killer Mike?

I'm going to be first to guess - Killer Mike?

Unlikely. He's playing in England this weekend and into next week. I can't make it to his gig in Manchester. Have a meeting with my dissertation tutor on the Tuesday morning. Would never make it back in time for it. The silly bint.

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    When can you say?

when it's officially announced :D

when it's officially announced :D

You're no fun :P

Seriously though, clues.

Unlikely. He's playing in England this weekend and into next week. I can't make it to his gig in Manchester. Have a meeting with my dissertation tutor on the Tuesday morning. Would never make it back in time for it. The silly bint.

Has a date in London in May though, Twisted Pepper would be his size venue in Dublin. I'd say it's a good possibility.

More clues would be nice though BB ;-)

Has a date in London in May though, Twisted Pepper would be his size venue in Dublin. I'd say it's a good possibility.

Boom_Bap said early May and his gig in London is on the third week in May. I will find a way around every single point that you make :P. It better not be him.

@Boom_Bap: Is it on during the May bank holiday w/end? If it is I might be able to justify a trip home depending on work and who it is.

There will be no clues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Why bother then?

Boom_Bap said early May and his gig in London is on the third week in May. I will find a way around every single point that you make :P. It better not be him.

Fair point, hadn't seen that.

Camden Crawl is on the Bank Holiday weekend, wonder if it is part of that? As an aside, that had a few decent hip hop acts playing it last year and looks to be bigger event this year, no acts yet but it's not clashing with London one and an extra day has been added so hopefully we see a few nice acts announced.

Right my one and only guess is Death Grips. They're playing in London on the 2nd of May, and I have mentioned on a few occasions that I like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Right my one and only guess is Death Grips. They're playing in London on the 2nd of May, and I have mentioned on a few occasions that I like them.

Hope that is the case, but I'd have thought twisted pepper is a bit small.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Hope that is the case, but I'd have thought twisted pepper is a bit small.

I've no idea. Never been there. They're the only act I could find that is over here in that time frame.

@Boom_Bap: Is it on during the May bank holiday w/end? If it is I might be able to justify a trip home depending on work and who it is.

No eyedea, just know it's early May.
    ustari wrote: »
    Why bother then?

A bit of intrigue and a bit of excitement about an upcoming gig. What is wrong with that?
    And I'm not giving any clues as it's not my place to announce gigs for promoters or venues, they like to announce it themselves.

No eyedea, just know it's early May.

Hmmmm... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Does this person have mad abilities?

That wasn't a clue, that was my new way of spelling idea in a hip hop manner.
    Next step is to sneak it into work emails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

these guys have been announced to play in twisted pepper end of April

Block MCloud and Blacastan

http://www.songkick.com/concerts/15435169-block-mccloud-at-twisted-pepper

would like to go to it

• Advertisement
Advertisement