Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hip Hop Gigs 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

was at Jayx last night just posted this in gig forum

Last night was pretty good imo and not as good as watch the throne...that is until after the Timbo interval it just seemed to go off in spectacular fashion, from front to back side to side everyone on their feet hands in the air (not exaggerating) belting out the hooks etc, very enjoyable and the man himself seemed genuinely blown away

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lockey123

Anyone know who's opening for Scroobious Pip in cork on saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

srm23 wrote: »
    What to expect from Lil Wayne setlist.
    he looked class live at MTV unplugged I watched
    did a lot of tha carter 3.

Lil Wayne is never "class".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Lil Wayne is never "class".

Lil Wayne pre Tha Carter 3 was quality, some quality tracks on Tha Carter 3 and all! He fell off big style after it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

I see last night Fitzgeralds pub in Sandycove had Mac Miller in the building for pints!

Fitzgeralds Pub ‏@fitzsandycove 13h
    We welcome Mac Miller to Sandycove! No offense but at 152 years old we are to old to know his music but we are told he is great! Drop down!
    Collapse

Incidentally not a big Wayne fan at all but think it is better to ignore posts rather than slag him off as it makes this forum exceedingly dull otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

No recent tour set lists at all,
    is Ireland the first date of the tour?

im guessing maybe some stuff off IANHM 2
    as it was the tour for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 RedBell

Anyone going tonight? Lots of tickets still available by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Anyone know the stage times for Wayne later?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

MCD said approx 7.45 Mac start. 8.45 Wayne. Times subject to change

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Cool, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

adebisi wrote: »
    Wu Tang gig coming soon

Any more word on this? I've already seen them this year but one of the lads is dying to see them and I told him i'd go next time they were over

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Disappointing but I might still go for it. Tickets are cheap enough. I would pay double to hear FNL tunes though.

They're pushing €40 when you include charges, think I'll skip

A Tribe Called Quest will be playing their final two shows ever as part of the new Kanye tour, supporting him at his NYC gigs. Sickened I never got the chance to see em :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Bit disappointing to hear their final two shows they will be supporting acts, especially to kanye west.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

TheBza wrote: »
    Bit disappointing to hear their final two shows they will be supporting acts, especially to kanye west.

Stop

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Saw ATCQ in London this summer :cool:

They're the ****ing greatest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Doris300 wrote: »
    Stop

huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

Are we really not getting Drake and The Weeknd in March?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

Isco wrote: »

Is he touring in the UK then?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

A reminder about Wax and Watsky tonight in the Academy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 adebisi

Deltron 3030 in the Button Factory December 15th

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Isco wrote: »

Yes we are,March 18th.

http://www.rapireland.com/drake-the-weeknd-to-play-dublin-march-18th-2014/

So......Wax and Watsky last night. The phrase 'the mighty has fallen' is a pretty accurate way to describe Wax's descent in my opinion.
    When I first seen a Wax video on youtube about 6/7 years ago of him in his car straight rapping, I got excited. For the next few years everything he released was fire......then, something changed, he started writing songs with catchy hooks (some of which work), and got a deal with Def Jam. The trend of writing themed songs with a catchy chorus continued, although with flashes of the old Wax from time to time.
    At this point, he knows what type of song sells music, gives him opportunity to tour, and use a live band for his performance. This ends up in a gig limited to 1 or 2 rap songs of old, the rest of the songs being toe tapping sing along jams. He even had EOM there with him, who appeared to only play the Coins and Music & Liquor beats, a brief beatbox cameo, and making a grasshopper effect.

So, not the rap performance I was hoping for, but a safe bubble wrapped performance for the non rap fans.

As for Watsky, pretty similar to Wax, he used the same live band (Creme Fresch) and had a female singer (the best part of the gig is when she bounced) and delivered a good performance of his music.....again, same as Wax, very safe music and not for the strictly rappedy rap fans.

But, the rest of the crowd, which was very decent in size, seemed to love the whole show, the crowd was bouncing from the first track, singing along, hanging on every word.....Watsky has a huge following here. It was an over 14's show, no booze on sale. Maybe it's because I was possibly the oldest person there, and sober that made the whole show a disappointment for me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Just got my ticket for Pete Rock and CL Smooth with Camp Lo supporting here in Winnipeg, Canada. next Wednesday. Can't facking wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    So......Wax and Watsky last night. The phrase 'the mighty has fallen' is a pretty accurate way to describe Wax's descent in my opinion.

That's disappointing to hear.

Speaking of videos of him rapping in a car. I remember listening to it when it first came out and just kept on replaying it.

iamstop wrote: »
    Just got my ticket for Pete Rock and CL Smooth with Camp Lo supporting here in Winnipeg, Canada. next Wednesday. Can't facking wait!

My face when I saw Canada. I thought for a second they were playing over here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Me212

Drake and the weeknd which is incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Really enjoyed Wax myself. Sure it was mostly his accessible stuff but for there being so few people there he gave it his all and it sounded great. Most people were only there for Watsky who I just wasn't in to for some reason and spent most of his set outside smoking. I like his music particularly his live album but he just didn't do anything for me last night. The rest of the crowd enjoyed it though and as boom bap said, I think I was probably the oldest there :(

After the show I bought Wax and EOM a drink in the bar next door and they sat with us for around half an hour just talking and drinking til the place closed which was awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Cant wait for Drake, his last performance in the o2 was very, very good. Not too long to wait either :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Really enjoyed Wax myself. Sure it was mostly his accessible stuff but for there being so few people there he gave it his all and it sounded great. Most people were only there for Watsky who I just wasn't in to for some reason and spent most of his set outside smoking. I like his music particularly his live album but he just didn't do anything for me last night. The rest of the crowd enjoyed it though and as boom bap said, I think I was probably the oldest there :(

After the show I bought Wax and EOM a drink in the bar next door and they sat with us for around half an hour just talking and drinking til the place closed which was awesome!

did they buy you a drink back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Nah man, went out for a smoke with wax after I finished my drink, asked the bouncer when they were closing, he said pretty much now so I just shook his hand and bounced.

HighClass wrote: »
    My face when I saw Canada. I thought for a second they were playing over here :(

Sorry about that. Show was epic. Pete and CL killed it. Camp Lo were only on for a very short time. What they did was great, just not long lived.

The Game.
    The Academy.
    Dec 18th.
    Tickets on sale from Friday.

Nice one, might have to head to that! Seen him last time he was over at The Olympia and it was one of the best shows I've been at tbh.

• Advertisement

The Game.
    The Academy.
    Dec 18th.
    Tickets on sale from Friday.

Source?? Only website I could find that say that described the game as a group composed of 50, lloyd banks and tony yayo :p

http://www.dublinconcerts.ie/27911-the-game-to-play-the-academy-in-december-2013/

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Source?? Only website I could find that say that described the game as a group composed of 50, lloyd banks and tony yayo :p

http://www.dublinconcerts.ie/27911-the-game-to-play-the-academy-in-december-2013/

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/search/?keyword=GAME&tm_link=tm_header_search/

Tis also listed on The Academy's site:
    http://www.theacademydublin.com/index.php?option=com_eventlist&view=eventlist&Itemid=56

The Academy announced it on FB earlier.

Nice one, the lads will be delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

Nice one, might have to head to that! Seen him last time he was over at The Olympia and it was one of the best shows I've been at tbh.

I have to agree , what a show that was , not sure about this time though , most of his recent stuff is bordering awful

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Are we looking at an instant sell out here do you reckon?

Not a massive fan but he has some great tracks

• Advertisement

Are we looking at an instant sell out here do you reckon?

Not a massive fan but he has some great tracks

Judging by the action on Facebook when it was announced, I'd say it will go quickly.

Yeah he has a massive fan base over here, will sell fast I'd say. Still think it was pretty funny when I turned up to the last show and 90% of the line outside were decked out in all red with bandannas, didnt realise we had so many bloods in Ireland :P

BadBadNotGood are playing in Dublin tomorrow night
    . They ain't hip hop per se but they do a lot of hip hop covers, be worth checking out if you're around.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭BadCompany

Pharcyde in Cork tonight should be a lot of fun, have been listening to Bizarre Ride II all day. For anyone going, the Pavillion have pushed doors back to 10pm with the lads expected on stage at 11.15. My 8 o'clock start in the morning is going to be painful! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

Yeah he has a massive fan base over here, will sell fast I'd say. Still think it was pretty funny when I turned up to the last show and 90% of the line outside were decked out in all red with bandannas, didnt realise we had so many bloods in Ireland :P

id say 90% is a bit of an exaggeration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

that a man that has a serious fall from grace! What ever happned his first album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Glad I wasn't at this. Watsky is a dope.

Note the 'a' before 'dope'.

He nearly pulled down a speaker rig at the Dublin show a few weeks ago. It looks like he was testing it to see if it would hold his weight.
    He's a good live performer......but that dive was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

What a total bellend.

If your about Dublin this evening, Bitter Rocc is having a FREE release party for his latest EP in 4 Dame Lane from 7 - 10.
    There's also a photography exibition as party of the event.

It's not a live performance, but a chance to listen to the new shiz.

• Advertisement
Advertisement