Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leathers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

I would say that the PROBIKER leathers are just made differently and skimps on some things like all entry level gear. Seams are prolly only double stitched instead of triple or even single stitched etc etc.
    According to their blurb the seams are *ISO 4916 safety seams at impact points*
    Which would indicate a decent level of workmanship.
    I have Pro-biker boots and am very happy with them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've had a Probiker 2-piece for the last 7 years. Never had a problem. I use them commuting and for track days. Had a couple of small spills and a big one recently, and they're still good. Definitely great value for money. The only down side is no pockets, although they might have changed that now.

In the description it says: "2 inside pockets + 1 phone pocket" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Zascar wrote: »
    In the description it says: "2 inside pockets + 1 phone pocket" :)

Might be a recent addition. The Probiker jacket I have has one, small inside pocket and that's it. It definitely needed looking at and it looks like they did.

Re:fit - yeah they're supposed to be tight. They stretch a small bit but not a whole lot in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well spent the morning squeezing into all manner of leathers....and I mean squeeze!!!

Dainese.
    Dainese suits are just sweet, pricey all the same but look and feel very good and very comfortable. I would pay the premium for the suits as you can feel and see where the money has gone.

Alpinstars.
    1st off the alpinestars stuff I dont feel is worth the money, I tried on 3 different suits and the fitting of them is mental. Unless you are a skinny beanpole forget it, now I aint the biggest lad in the world and I aint the smallest but the AS stuff fits like **** for me anyway. I have junk where most normal lads have it and to try and get a decent fit was mental. Not only that, 2 different suits I tried the zip broke on one getting it on and then the popper burst on another while on. Now it was very tight on me when it was on as its meant to be but the popper broke after 2mins of standing there....I mean come on a €800 suit and cant take a bit of wear and tear till it brakes in **** that.... And you really do have to try and get the suit as tight as possible when buying it not matter what make.

RST.
    Was very surprised with the new RST SPLICE suit, looks well and there is a choice of 5 colours, very comfortable and fits well compared to the Apinestars stuff. The leather also feels good and to the eye it looks well made. And you get the 1yr warranty, and for a full set it will cost me €375 which is a no brainer.....I could get 2 RST suits for the price of the alpinestars or dainese so I think I will get the RST gear. Fits well with the Knox armour front and back too.

I aint looking for something flash TBH, just handy to change into in the hot days and I dont need the best of the best either as I dont do track days etc. So I think bang for buck its a great all rounder.

http://www.rst-moto.com/rst-slice-leather-2pc-jkt

http://www.rst-moto.com/rst-slice-leather-2pc-jns

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for the report WB. Where did you go to try them on? I am pretty much skinny as a beanpole so I want to make sure I get one that does fit me properly and doesn't bag and sag. A mate of mine has RST gear and it looks like really nice stuff to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

The RST Slice is what I want but I haven't been able to find a place to try them on yet as I havent a clue on the sizing, where did you go to try them on and that price seems pretty good as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    The RST Slice is what I want but I haven't been able to find a place to try them on yet as I havent a clue on the sizing, where did you go to try them on and that price seems pretty good as well?

I presume he went to Bikeworld to try them on

Thats where i bought my RST gear

As far as i know there is a sale on there at the minute to

I must head up this weekend. I was in bikeworld not so long ago and tried on the RST Ventilator textiles which I had seen online and was fairly sure it would be suited to me. I found it incredibly uncomfortable - I was shocked. Then again my jacket does not have a back protector and it felt very strange having such a large and heavy object pulling off you. Hope they have the slice I'll go try that on.

nerrad1983 wrote: »
    I presume he went to Bikeworld to try them on

Thats where i bought my RST gear

As far as i know there is a sale on there at the minute to

If thats the case I might try to head up there this weekend.

@ Gary - nice feedback on the leathers, cheers.

I was looking at the RST Splice in Horsepower a couple of weeks ago. I just might indulge in a few weeks when I get the sheckles together.

• Advertisement

I was in bikeworld for the RST and the Dainese, and I was in Megabikes for the Alpinestars. They have a good selection of RST stuff in fairness but if you are a bigger lad you might have to order the stuff and it takes a week. I will be back up there on Friday and have to order in the jacket as I need the biggest one they have for my IRON MAN shoulders and HOMER SIMPSON Belly!!!!

But I think you really cant go wrong for the money unless you need a high end suit for racing or non stop touring. I was also talking to Ray in there today and they have a nice new set of tractech boots coming out that are goretex and very well priced....he showed me the email of them and they look very nice.

Maybe ask in BW about a discount for getting 3 or 4 sets together......

Maybe we should do a group outing and take a spin up to HG some time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Havent a cent for gear but im up for a spin up if i can get a free day and the sv is in working order. Its been sitting idle outside my house for several weeks now but sure i can assume it will be grand, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Got my leathers up in Crossans last year.

They were the 2011 gear so reduced greatly. Takano single piece, maybe 300e.

Friend got his altered for like 20e extra and delivered a week later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

With the bike show coming up in a few weeks time you might be able to pick up a bargain there, just another option to consider.

They are supposed to be very tight. I always laugh when I see someone in big baggy leathers, looks like a boy wearing his dads clothes.. They will stretch a big in time I'm sure..

Just say the word in a PM mate and I am there, I promised Green Martian off here I would go up before xmas and never got round to it. So I am up for that no probs, just give a ring before we go to make sure the stock levels have risen since the last time we were up there. ;)

RosieJoe wrote: »
    With the bike show coming up in a few weeks time you might be able to pick up a bargain there, just another option to consider.

Yeah, deffo. But I think that price of €380 for a full 2 piece RST splice is very good so I am happy with that.

I am sure I will get a nice bargain up there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Yeah, deffo. But I think that price of €380 for a full 2 piece RST splice is very good so I am happy with that.

I am sure I will get a nice bargain up there anyway.

I would deffo be up for another spin up to HG. I even have a voucher this time . . . Fancy :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Alpinstars.
    1st off the alpinestars stuff I dont feel is worth the money

Got an Alpinestars textile jacket about a year ago and I'm pretty disappointed with it. Was very overpriced and has some crazy omissions i.e. no elastic cuffs at the sleeves, no press studs for the flap over the front zip just velcro to hold it. All of the pockets expand inwards so when you put in your wallet, keys etc. the jacket gets tighter. The bottom pockets stupidly go all the way in towards the centre zip, so things can get caught between you and the back of the tank which is uncomfortable. Velcro is only in very small patches and is too weak. I doubt I'll get half as long out of it as my old Weise jacket, got 6 or 7 years of everyday wear out of that.

Alpinestars gloves are great though...

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Just for consideration, got the new catalogue in today and they have ProBiker Leather suit €229.95 or Last chance limited size Probiker PRX-6 2-piece Leather Suit for €199.95

Yeah a spin up north to either the show or one of the shops might be good. Will they post it down to you? Bringing the old stuff back might be awkward. That tailoring service sounds great so you make sure it fits perfectly..

I'm totally at a loss as to what to do now. Would love both textiles and leathers but can't afford it. My plan was to buy a set of textiles soon - the RST slice looks ideal - cause I use the bike to and from work most days and I do a bit of touring, but I'd love a set of leathers and people tell me they are safer etc - great for weekend spins but they are a lot less practical for commuting etc - I can't wear jeans under leathers. The reason the ProBiker ones appealed to me is because they are soo cheap - I could get them now and then maybe get the textiles later perhaps. However would the ProBiker leathers be any use in the rain or would you get soaked? Maybe I'd be better getting a proper set of textiles now and put off the leathers till later. Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

TBH Zascar if you can only get one set it has to be TEXTILES. No matter how much you pay for leathers you will be destroyed in the rain after an hour. Think of leathers as a luxury, I would get the best textiles I could afford 1st and then see about leathers (which I have done)

You can use the textiles all year round and be comfortable and flexible, I have the RST PARAGON II set and I just took the thermal insides out of the top and bottoms and I was fine in the summer. You really only get hot when stopped and standing around talking etc. on the move you do be fine. To get leathers for the winter is not ideal and you will end up bulking up with other layers inside and out which kinda defeats the purpose.

I am getting leathers as I have none, and they are a chrimbo pressie from the Queen Bee, but I am sorted all year round with the gear I have got so far but its nice to have a set of leathers for the really hot and mild days.

I must have a closer look at the pro biker stuff....I would not say they is much difference in the quality of them. RST is dearer at €380 but the probiker for that money is excellant.

Thanks dude, thing is I already have some textiles. They are not fantastic but they've done me fine for many years already. Was thinking of replacing them but for €229 I could get a set of leathers and then have the old textiles in reserve. Save up for RST Slice stuff in a few months.

I also need a new helmet and boots too. Never ending bloody expenditure! And I just forked out €750 to get the bike repaired. Ouch.

RosieJoe wrote: »

I dont know, every show I have been at the prices weren't that great!

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    I dont know, every show I have been at the prices weren't that great!

Thats what I mean...if you really want a bargain you never get them! But when you have no money they are everwhere....I think the RST splice stuff is a good deal.

However would the ProBiker leathers be any use in the rain or would you get soaked? Maybe I'd be better getting a proper set of textiles now and put off the leathers till later. Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

I commuted in rain, snow, ice, sun, wind - all of it. And all of it in the Probiker leathers. BUT, I had a textile jacket and leather bottoms (I just don't like wearing textile bottoms) and the mix worked well, for me anyway. As for leathers in rain - they'd be fine in a shower or a short spin, but in torrential rain or a long spin, you'd be destroyed unless you had pull-ups to use over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Combination of leather trousers, textile jacket, and on wet days €10 rain trousers from Army Bargains works well for me year round.

Scrap the cap!

In fairness my current textile jacket is nowhere near waterproof but it does a fairly good job of keeping the rain out unless its really coming down. You're not going to get completely waterproof gear unless you spend big money. Even my mate had fully goretex Dianesse gear which leaked when we got pissed on in France. Next time I'll be bringing one of those cheap waterproof oversuits.

• Advertisement

My RST Paragon II has yet to let me down in even the heaviest of showers for long periods. But for the winter I bought a HG rain jacket to put over it for extra heat more then anything else. Very easily solved if the jacket is letting in a 30 euro rain jacket over it.

Advertisement