Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour of Sligo 2013 ? Advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Gutted I can't do this . Had planned to do all the an post cycles this year but have two bulging discs and a herniated one. Best of luck and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Weather looking ok for tomorrow, although its looking like the wind will be against us going over Ladies Bray to make it tougher!!!

Many boardsie's doing it tomorrow?? Should be a nice spin.

Edit - Oh ya I'll be on the black CKT racer, more then likely wearing rain gear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I'll be there. bike cleaned and checked. tools pump in boot. I'll be in donegal bay gear. focus cayo with ksyrium sl wheels 100km

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Weather looking ok for tomorrow, although its looking like the wind will be against us going over Ladies Bray to make it tougher!!!

Many boardsie's doing it tomorrow?? Should be a nice spin.

Edit - Oh ya I'll be on the black CKT racer, more then likely wearing rain gear!!

Down here raring to go. Weather looking good ....... ish ;-) lots of hills around here on the way into Sligo. Once I get over that ladies yoke climb I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

New route this year, 160km have to climb ladies brae twice on two different roads. Wind will also be against on those.

• Advertisement

What a bloody tough day in the saddle. Raining at the start while getting ready but nothing too bad, started well around the Strandhill loop and with such a mass start it was easy to shelter in with groups and move from group to group to keep a reasonable pace. Once it turned for the first ascent of Ladies Bray though the surface was very poor and with showers made the climb much tougher then expected. Descent was even worse, against the wind and rain on very poor surface but still managed to get some decent speed on the downhill to make up for the climbing.

Was on my own then from the descent for about 15 km until catching a Tyrone lad and we cycled together talking which made the journey to the Mass Hill climb more tolerable. Turned then with the wind for the Mass Hill climb and over Lough Esker (spelling??) which was much easier this year with the wind on the back. Big group but again very poor surface so I wasn't that comfortable and dropped out the back once over the climbs, still keeping an average of 40 km/hr so happy with that. First food stop was poorly stocked again this year as I have a sweet tooth and not a fan of sandwiches or mass produced pasta but thankfully I bought some food myself.

After that I went out on my own and back onto the N59 and off onto the coast road with a side /tail wind to the turn off for the second ascent of Ladies Bray, and again back against the wind but this time I thought the surface was much better on the way up still very hard as the legs were tired! Same complaints on the descent with the surface but drier this time, then off to Coolaney for a quick food stop and finally back to some reasonasble road surface for a nice fast spin to Dromhair to the final climb and that killed me, crawled up towards the end and legs haven't felt that pain in a while, once over had my final banana and the finish was fine and mostly downhill with a few small digs.

Overall I had a good day and was happy to go long sections on my own for the challenge but again I didn't eat enough so need to bring more food next time. The surface on the climbs was very poor and I can't understand bringing so many cyclist up the Ladies Bray so early but that's just my opinion as I thought it was potentially dangerous. Specially the groups of 2 mates who insist in taking up both sides of the road preventing people at speed to pass without having to brake and call out to pass even with the single file signs!

6 hr 3 min riding time over the 164km so happy with that and now going to spend the morning watching tv! Well done to all the volunteers and organisors though as the marshalling was excellent and event well organised.

Oh and did anyone see the young man (about 16) on the mountain bike (very cheap and heavy one) with the backpack. I seen him at the start of the 160 km but was speaking to him at the end and he ended up doing the 100 km so fair play to him! Again proving its the engine and not the gear you have making me feel even worse!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Tough day in the saddle surely, I completed the 100k route in 3:21. It was my first ever sportif so happy enough. Very well organised, wasnt a junction without a marshal, lads in the club were saying though it is always that way and not to get lulled into a false sense, most sportifs aren't as well run.

Ladies Brae was tough going, it just kept going on and on, every time I though I had got to the top, I could see another head bobbing in the distance. Could get very little reward out of the decent either with the wind. It really fractured the whole spin though, ended up doing the remainder of the spin either solo or in twos and threes.

The last climb was tough, road surface was lovely though which did help. We were told before hand it was 8km, I only had a little over 7 done on the trip computer when I was told I had reached the top, it was fantastic, I had myself psyched for another km of misery. Pulled the throttle back at the sumit and glided back to Sligo, bar 1 or 2 small kicks. Very enjoyable day, pity I can't say the same about today, really suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

Did the 100k having dropped down since my original post here. Would agree with at1withmyself about Ladies Brae coming too soon and being potentially dangerous. On the 100k cycle if you met a slow cyclist in front of you you were screwed as there was very little space anywhere on the road. My biggest complaint is to the Red Cross idiots who got their ambulance stuck up the Ladies Brae ascent. They were already holding up traffic and when they tried to go around someone they drove into the mucky verge and got stuck on quite a steep part of the ascent. 5 or 6 people (if not more) just fell off from them having to stop unexpectedly.some people (cyclists) had to push the ambulance!

I'm no experienced cyclist or anything but would it not make sense to further split up cyclists on an ascent like this. 900 cyclists of varying degrees of fitness early on in a cycle going up that narrow road isn't very safe .

All in all though I had a great day. It was well organised and marshalled and was happy to be finished.
    Next year 160k! (maybe)

EDIT: I apologise for ranting it wasn't that bad.

EaSwe wrote: »
    Did the 100k having dropped down since my original post here. Would agree with at1withmyself about Ladies Brae coming too soon and being potentially dangerous. On the 100k cycle if you met a slow cyclist in front of you you were screwed as there was very little space anywhere on the road. My biggest complaint is to the Red Cross idiots who got their ambulance stuck up the Ladies Brae ascent. They were already holding up traffic and when they tried to go around someone they drove into the mucky verge and got stuck on quite a steep part of the ascent. 5 or 6 people (if not more) just fell off from them having to stop unexpectedly.some people (cyclists) had to push the ambulance!

I'm no experienced cyclist or anything but would it not make sense to further split up cyclists on an ascent like this. 900 cyclists of varying degrees of fitness early on in a cycle going up that narrow road isn't very safe .

All in all though I had a great day. It was well organised and marshalled and was happy to be finished.
    Next year 160k! (maybe)

I did this route yesterday and I liked getting that climb out if the way early. While the road was narrow and surface not great it just added to the challenge and I enjoyed the tough conditions. Sure it would be no fun if it was easy. Yeah there was some issues getting by people struggling and pushing bikes up but this has to be expected on such a large event. As for calling the Red Cross Idiots. They are unpaid volunteers sitting around in the cold and rain so we could enjoy ourselves. Bit harsh IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

detones wrote: »
    I did this route yesterday and I liked getting that climb out if the way early. While the road was narrow and surface not great it just added to the challenge and I enjoyed the tough conditions. Sure it would be no fun if it was easy. Yeah there was some issues getting by people struggling and pushing bikes up but this has to be expected on such a large event. As for calling the Red Cross Idiots. They are unpaid volunteers sitting around in the cold and rain so we could enjoy ourselves. Bit harsh IMHO.

I'll admit idiots was a bit harsh given they are volunteers but their decision to drive up a route already manned by Mountain Rescue at several points, and then to get stuck put the safety of cyclists at risk. One of the people I was with fell quite harshly on their shoulder and from talking to them was lucky not be injured. I'm a member of voluntary like RC so appreciate the voluntary work they do but the decision to drive up a road like that was not a smart decision IMHO as there was no immediate need given it was already manned.

great day out (didnt see the ambulance)

finished 100km in 4hrs

apart from nearly wiping out when someone thought turning in the road without looking to go back and see his mate who punctured was a good idea, felt like i missed him by inches (could have been a lot further mind) at about 40km/h. that could have ruined my day !

as usual no non meat food at the food stops (just fancied something a bit more solid than gels and bananas - complained every year (on the feedback) and it never changes)

anyway well done s ever to the organisers, marshall gardai and raft of other volunteers, it aint easy putting on these events

i was one of the slow guys up the ladies brae or at least it felt like it by the numbers overtaking me so sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DarrenJames

Did the 100km yesterday as well, had a great time. Does anyone know the details of the Ladies Brae climb or how I would compare it to climbs on other cycles such as the tour de burren? Not much experience in this area

Did the 100km yesterday as well, had a great time. Does anyone know the details of the Ladies Brae climb or how I would compare it to climbs on other cycles such as the tour de burren? Not much experience in this area

Strava is your only man there is a segment showing it as Cat 3 climb 210m at 6.6%. I took it handy to make sure i gof up yestrrday and averaged 11.3km/hr I'm not much of a climber. Kom is 15.8km/hr so a tough climb. I was still in the top 40% or so of 130 cyclist. I think the full height of climb is 260 but it depends where you start your segment from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

i was one of the slow guys up the ladies brae or at least it felt like it by the numbers overtaking me so sorry :D

By the time I got to ladies brae a lot of the slower people in the 100k were starting to climb. (I was in the last group to leave). It was a slow grind and people were going up in single file on the left with anyone who was able to pass going on the right side of the grass centre. At one stage a lady came up behind me and did a lot of audiable shouting that people were going too slow and should have went on the 60k. We passed her walking about 100m up the hill and she could be heard f'ing and blinding that the "slower" people took the momentum from her. There were several people willing to give her momentum with their cleats - no offence to any ladies on the cycle, but if a man had said this someone would have a right good go at him.

It was a tough climb and the downhill surface was extremely poor, but it was all part of the challenge. Notice that a lot of people punctured the whole way from Sligo to Collaney with at least 10 people fixing punctures on the downhill from ladies Brae. Didn't see anyone with a puncture after that.

The banter along the way great with everyone encouraging each other. Food was grand when you're used to buying food on a club spin. Lovely scenic cycle from Dromahair back into sligo and I was going slow enough to appreciate it :D

It's a great sport!

reilig wrote: »
    We passed her walking about 100m up the hill and she could be heard f'ing and blinding that the "slower" people took the momentum from her.
    i did manage to ride up without stopping (stubborn b*****d and low gears)
    It was a tough climb and the downhill surface was extremely poor, but it was all part of the challenge. Notice that a lot of people punctured the whole way from Sligo to Collaney with at least 10 people fixing punctures on the downhill from ladies Brae. Didn't see anyone with a puncture after that.
    did you do the 160 about 3 years ago when the council tarred and chipped the surface a couple of weeks before, it was like riding down on marbles great fun the number i saw in the bog that day.

mind when you ride in donegal you get used to surfaces like that :D

It's a great sport!

it is isnt it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Did the 160 which was actually 164 and that 4 very nearly was the straw that broke the camel back i was very close to turning back around in protest.As for the guy at the end of the last climb which was at exactly 150km saying 10 miles to go and it all down hill if I could kick him up a hill then down a hill to show him the difference.But on the serious side great event great day in the saddle found first climb of Lady's Brae very tough mentally to many bikes in very close proximity very nervy stuff at times i went up graves hill like a train had left a friend with a slow group he was finding the day tough i went hard on my own averaged over 50kmh from the summit of graves hill to the food stop the run along Lough Easkey with the wind to my back was mentaly fast.I skipped the second food stop as it was way to soon after the first one and i decided to stay going to the finish then 6 Hour 20 mins and one of the best days i have spent on a bike.Did a nice easy 30 km this evening with a few from the club just to free up the legs

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

mapmyride only reckons 995m thats less than my garmin ! be interesting to see a proper height gain
    http://www.tourofsligo.ie/the-routes/160km-ox-mountain-challenge/

I got 1968m on my Garmin (160k) so either mapmyride or the garmin or both are way off, however it felt like 1968m ascent to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Did the 100km in my first major sportive. Very enjoyable day in what was a very well run event. Found Ladies Brae tough and the headwind and rain didn’t help but I managed to get up it in one go. The descent was just as tricky due to the poor road conditions. The last climb was a serious drag, but a good road surface made it a bit more bearable. Overall, very enjoyable event and I’m already looking forward to next year. Well done to the organizers and all those who participated. My Garmin recorded a Elevation Gain of 3684ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

. At one stage a lady came up behind me and did a lot of audiable shouting that people were going too slow and should have went on the 60k. We passed her walking about 100m up the hill and she could be heard f'ing and blinding that the "slower" people took the momentum from her. There were several people willing to give her momentum with their cleats - no offence to any ladies on the cycle, but if a man had said this someone would have a right good go at him.

It's a great sport!

I swear to god I met that one at rebel tour last year on 160, I was taking it handy on climb before reentrisk(cods head) knowing what was ahead , she sneered passing me out . I sneered with vat when I passed her on reentrisk when she was walking, woman in her forties with brown hair.

Gutted I missed it seemed like a good day out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I'll be there. bike cleaned and checked. tools pump in boot. I'll be in donegal bay gear. focus cayo with ksyrium sl wheels 100km

Where you cycling in the massive peloton of Donegal Bay cyclists towards the front of the 100k?? Spent the first 30k with your lot before dropping most of you on the climb, but ended up catching you all again at the top of the last climb after I stopped for food.

BTH wrote: »
    Where you cycling in the massive peloton of Donegal Bay cyclists towards the front of the 100k?? Spent the first 30k with your lot before dropping most of you on the climb, but ended up catching you all again at the top of the last climb after I stopped for food.

there was a good few at the top i think i was behind the main group of them by then, i was wearing a black gilet going up the climb so you would have only seen the shorts and donegal bay arm warmers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

shaka wrote: »
    woman in her forties with brown hair.

That was her!

She came into the food tent in Collaney about 15 minutes after me and she didn't need a microphone to be heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mikesavo2003

I also did the 100k. First organised event like this and really enjoyed it. Got home in ride time of 3hrs 40 aiming to go under the 4 so was delighted. Happen to know a gud few of the main organisers and got to say fair play to them as they but in an awful amount of work but it definetly pays off really well organised and a great day out the night out after was gud 2 except for monday morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

there was a good few at the top i think i was behind the main group of them by then, i was wearing a black gilet going up the climb so you would have only seen the shorts and donegal bay arm warmers

I was with a group of about 10-15 of them from Strandhill until the bottom of Ladies Brea, so presume you were behind us then?? Big group hitting the bottom of the climb and I'd been told the road was very narrow so I hit the front and rode away from everyone, but one young fella from your gang caught me just before the top. He was moving very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Anyone know if there are some photos from the day? Don't see any links on the tourofsligo website.
    I'm sure we passed a few dozen photographers en-route, so was wondering if anyone here might know if they're expected up online through this thread, or through the tour website, or somewhere else maybe?
    (just that the wife and her friend took part in the 60k, so they are mad keen to see some photos :))

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DarrenJames

andy69 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are some photos from the day? Don't see any links on the tourofsligo website.
    I'm sure we passed a few dozen photographers en-route, so was wondering if anyone here might know if they're expected up online through this thread, or through the tour website, or somewhere else maybe?
    (just that the wife and her friend took part in the 60k, so they are mad keen to see some photos :))

There are photos and a video up on the Facebook page.
    Official facebook page link

Advertisement