Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White coloured water in the Corrib

Options
  • 04-01-2013 1:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Construction site at Nuig is turning one of the streams white with run-off.
    It flows into the very high fast flowing Corrib at Nuns Island, creating an interesting juxtaposition of brown/blue and white side by side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Any chance of a pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Probably just sediment runoff or something, where exactly is the construction site?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Maybe it's builders spunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Maybe it's builders spunk.

No doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

where exactly is the construction site?
    The entirety of NUIG is a sodding construction site.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

When I went back a few hours later, it was much diminished and diluted. Maybe they read boards..
    be7v5g.jp640ahj.jpg

Actually does anyone know the name of the stream? Is it Gaol river?
    It runs south along the Nuig concourse, under the new pedestrian bridge, under the eglinton canal, then re-emerges in the Corrib at the above location.
    Does it go under the Cathedral :confused:
    The Eglinton Canal & outlets had no white colour in it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

snubbleste wrote: »
    It runs south along the Nuig concourse, under the new pedestrian bridge, under the eglinton canal, then re-emerges in the Corrib at the above location.

splits between the ped.bridge and wards bridge. The left stream goes behind island house, under old hygeia/mills building and down behind nuns island houses. Somewhere behind cathedral PP house is an outlet from an old millrace probably where the apartment block is now.

westy

splits between the ped.bridge and wards bridge. The left stream goes behind island house, under old hygeia/mills building and down behind nuns island houses.
    That is an outlet from the Eglinton canal and emerges further south. I think it's called Persse's Distillery river.
    Somewhere behind cathedral PP house is an outlet from an old millrace probably where the apartment block is now.
    That one had no white coloured water in it either - runs along the Film buildings, between Fisheries Field and the new apartments, and then along the Corrib seperated by an embankment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

I photographed a similar discharge last March, brought it the council's attention and even though I got email replies no confirmed action was taken afaik.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jkforde wrote: »
    I photographed a similar discharge last March, brought it the council's attention and even though I got email replies no confirmed action was taken afaik.

As its downstream of the water intake for drinking water they probably didn't give a XXXX. This incident is being investigated by Inland Fisheries after it was reported to them yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

snubbleste wrote: »

the Engineering Dept in NUIG has a map of the waterways in their office which they'll copy for you if you ask nicely, here's a copy I got off them...

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mb20064

It could just be lime or something similar that has run off into the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Zzippy wrote: »
    As its downstream of the water intake for drinking water they probably didn't give a XXXX. This incident is being investigated by Inland Fisheries after it was reported to them yesterday

Really glad to hear this is being investigated. I was alarmed to see the water in the river on campus was totally white/grey in colour yesterday afternoon. Also very sad to see a heron standing in it later on wondering why he couldn't see anything in the water :(. Whether or not it is affecting drinking water it must be affecting the wildlife there and that particular stretch is a haven for them as it is very quiet and undisturbed generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Really glad to hear this is being investigated. I was alarmed to see the water in the river on campus was totally white/grey in colour yesterday afternoon. Also very sad to see a heron standing in it later on wondering why he couldn't see anything in the water :(. Whether or not it is affecting drinking water it must be affecting the wildlife there and that particular stretch is a haven for them as it is very quiet and undisturbed generally.
    its used by kayakers to get onto the lower corrib. they get on at fisheries field and paddle down. Its known as the "sh1t shute" as its far from undisturbed. it is absolutely full of trolleys, bikes, and rubbish/waste of all sorts. we used to clean it up periodically but haven't been down in ages. great to hear fisheries are lookin into this. potentially polluted runoff from a building site should be attenuated or treated somehow prior to discharge, especially if flowing directly into a salmonoid river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

its used by kayakers to get onto the lower corrib. they get on at fisheries field and paddle down. Its known as the "sh1t shute" as its far from undisturbed. it is absolutely full of trolleys, bikes, and rubbish/waste of all sorts. we used to clean it up periodically but haven't been down in ages. great to hear fisheries are lookin into this. potentially polluted runoff from a building site should be attenuated or treated somehow prior to discharge, especially if flowing directly into a salmonoid river.

I think we may be talking about different areas, the area I was specifically referring to is the narrow stretch of water flowing under the bridge leading to the College Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

The 'photo that snubbleste posted earlier was incredible. Whoever was causing that amount of pollution should be keel hauled into court.

No-way could they not know what they were doing. In this day and age there is no excuse for doing that.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I think we may be talking about different areas, the area I was specifically referring to is the narrow stretch of water flowing under the bridge leading to the College Bar.
    possibly different sections of the same body of water. you can see it on the engineering pdf attached in one of the posts above. It flows under the Nuig concourse, past the college bar and under the main canal, out to fisheries field between the nuig hydrology building and rowing/kayaking sheds, alongside the footway opposite the cathedral, under the salmon weir bridge and out into the corrib just below the fish gates (as in the second picture posted above).

Advertisement