Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA , then Canada ...onward flight??

Options
  • 04-01-2013 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi guys ,

I'm leaving for the States ( California ) in February, staying three months and then onwards to Canada.

Ive been told however that I must have a flight home to Ireland ( or at least its a very good idea ) rather than an onward flight to Canada as it mightn't be viewed well by Immigration.

Anyone have experience of this??

I don't want to have to waste money on a flight home I wont use unless I have to!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

who told you this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

who told you this?

Heard from a few people ..why ??
    No truth in it I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

probably something to do with the 90 visa waiver. Lots of people were heading into Canada or Mexico a few days before their visa waiver expired under the impression they that could reapply for another 90 days.

You don't say whether you intend to stay in Canada ?

probably something to do with the 90 visa waiver. Lots of people were heading into Canada or Mexico a few days before their visa waiver expired under the impression they that could reapply for another 90 days.

You don't say whether you intend to stay in Canada ?

Yeah Ill be going for the 1 year work program ( if and when they open it up for this year that is!! )

Anyone got any experience of a similar situation to mine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

If you have documentation than you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

The return ticket thing is when people try to scam the US Immigration guy by saying "ah dont worry, I'll be off to canada soon enough" so it doesnt look like they're going to be staying long term.

If you have proof you're heading to Canada next for work then you should be good.

They're not completely heartless and for a US immigration officer to refuse you entry would mean quite an involved legal process with a lot of paperwork (and many opportunities for you to set them straight.)

Its not like they can decide at the spur of the moment whether they like the look of you or not.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    If you have documentation than you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

The return ticket thing is when people try to scam the US Immigration guy by saying "ah dont worry, I'll be off to canada soon enough" so it doesnt look like they're going to be staying long term.

If you have proof you're heading to Canada next for work then you should be good.

They're not completely heartless and for a US immigration officer to refuse you entry would mean quite an involved legal process with a lot of paperwork (and many opportunities for you to set them straight.)

Its not like they can decide at the spur of the moment whether they like the look of you or not.

Hey InTheTrees,

Thanks a million for that. I'll have email correspondence ready from a few potential employers as well so between it all Ill okay!

Cheers :)

anbrutog wrote: »
    Hey InTheTrees,

Thanks a million for that. I'll have email correspondence ready from a few potential employers as well so between it all Ill okay!

Cheers :)

You have a job lined up in Canada right (or will have)? You'll need Name and address of a Canadian Employer, Plus (official) Canadian paperwork on the work visa.

Not just some printouts of email.

:)

Well I may or may not have. Its quite possible I wont. More than likely Ill have to wait until I get there. But I'm going to start contact with potential Canadian employers in the coming days and weeks.

But will the fact that I have a Canadian visa and can demonstrate that I'm going there to work be enough?

Well I may or may not have. Its quite possible I wont. More than likely Ill have to wait until I get there. But I'm going to start contact with potential Canadian employers in the coming days and weeks.

But will the fact that I have a Canadian visa and can demonstrate that I'm going there to work be enough?

Hmmm. Getting a little grey there... It may not be.

Basically here's what they're looking for; young people arriving for very long holidays with no evidence that they're going to leave.

Which is the reason for the return ticket. Its evidence. So would a firm job offer with a phone number they can call to verify. Vague stuff like email contacts wont cut it.

What about getting yourself a fully refundable return ticket from Canada for next year? You can change it later (or not) and it'll take care of any issues the yanks may have. (It also means you have a ticket home and dont have to worry about buying one later, it wont go to waste right?).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

This is not true. They can do what they want at their border. If they don't like the look of you, or believe your story they can send you packing on the next flight out (or not let you through to the plane if you are DUB/SNN). It isn't hard from them to deny entry to someone.

The more proof you can provide that you are honestly just looking to transit through their country (or visit or whatever) the happier they will be. The burden is entirely on you to show your good intent, not on their good will.

In reality, they are probably used to people transiting through to Canada, the most they will do is check your visa/invitation letter and stamp you on your way. And even then, they probably won't . I've been through US immigration a lot and never had anything but a polite (often friendly) experience with them

The other thing I will say to you...Calculate your time in America wisely. 3 months is often not the same as 90 days, which is the maximum time you have on the VWP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

This is not true. They can do what they want at their border. If they don't like the look of you, or believe your story they can send you packing on the next flight out (or not let you through to the plane if you are DUB/SNN). It isn't hard from them to deny entry to someone.

The more proof you can provide that you are honestly just looking to transit through their country (or visit or whatever) the happier they will be. The burden is entirely on you to show your good intent, not on their good will.

Agree 100%. If the US immigration folks at Dublin & Shannon Airports think that something doesn't add up with your paperwork, or they distrust your stated intentions, they will have no hesitation whatsoever in denying you entry. The paper work that they will have to do is negligible, and the opportunities for you "to set them straight" are very few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Complete garbage. What 'legal process' are you talking about? You have no absolute right to enter the US so if they are suspicious about any aspect of your story, they can refuse you entry and you have to accept the decision.

You seem to think that once the intended traveller has some story or paperwork at the ready that the agent has to accept what he/she is told, nothing could be further from the truth.

Authorization via ESTA does not determine whether a traveler is admissible to the United States. U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers determine admissibility upon travelers’ arrival

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/esta/

Hey guys ,

Many thanks for all the info , much appreciated.

On reflection , I'm just going to buy a return ticket to Ireland for 90 days after my arrival, not worth the risk. For three months in the states , I take it proof of funds ( Ill have about $8k hopefully ) should be okay ??

Hey guys ,

Many thanks for all the info , much appreciated.

On reflection , I'm just going to buy a return ticket to Ireland for 90 days after my arrival, not worth the risk. For three months in the states , I take it proof of funds ( Ill have about $8k hopefully ) should be okay ??

That amount should see you ok, if you are looking to rent a room or something, in a lot of parts of CA that can run about 1000 a month but eating out is pretty inexpensive.
    Sorry to scaremonger a bit but it is the reality of the situation. I still get a knot in my stomach going up to immigration and I have a visa in my passport, multiple entry stamps etc and a complete life in the States. The sooner I get my greencard the better.

That amount should see you ok, if you are looking to rent a room or something, in a lot of parts of CA that can run about 1000 a month but eating out is pretty inexpensive.
    Sorry to scaremonger a bit but it is the reality of the situation. I still get a knot in my stomach going up to immigration and I have a visa in my passport, multiple entry stamps etc and a complete life in the States. The sooner I get my greencard the better.

Cheers mate.
    Its San Fran I'm going to. My mate lives there so Ill have somewhere to stay for a while at least , after that ill just get something temporary via Craigslist.

Ah no its not scaremongering , the more prepared you are dealing with immigration the better. Ive heard plenty of horror stories , so I'm not taking any chances! Thanks :)

coylemj wrote: »
    Complete garbage. What 'legal process' are you talking about? You have no absolute right to enter the US so if they are suspicious about any aspect of your story, they can refuse you entry and you have to accept the decision.

Do you know anyone who has been deported?

:confused:

You need to have cold hard evidence with you that you're going to leave. If you've got that then they're not in any position to refuse you. Right? In other words the individual officer has no leeway to kick you out because he doesnt like the look of you.

You need to have cold hard evidence with you that you're going to leave. If you've got that then they're not in any position to refuse you. Right? In other words the individual officer has no leeway to kick you out because he doesnt like the look of you.

they can do what they want - you can provide all the proof you want, if they don't believe you, they don't believe you and will not let you in. For instance, you could buy a return ticket as proof and say "oh yeah, i'll be going back in two weeks" and then disappear never to be seen again.

I know 2 people who have been refused entry - once that happens, you have to go to the embassy for a visa every time (one of the ESTA questions is "have you ever been denied....), in one case - the guy can never travel to the US again.

The CBP clearly states
    please be aware, entering the United States is a privilege, not a right. It is not our intent to inconvenience law abiding visitors to our country, but our overriding responsibility is to enforce U.S. immigration law and to keep our country safe from those who would do us harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Wrong.

If you're refused admission to a country then technically you have not landed there and so you are not being 'deported'. It may sound like splitting hairs but that's how immigration works.

Technically you only 'land' in a country when you have cleared immigration. Before that you are in no-man's land and you have no rights whatsoever if they decide you can't be admitted.

You're implying that anyone with a return ticket and a few hundred dollars in his pocket is guaranteed admission, they are not.

Advertisement