Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Address with a . (fullpoint) in it ?

Options
  • 04-01-2013 2:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi All,

wondering if someone could help. I have never had to put a . in a url and not sure what way to do it. Is it a whole new domain or some sort of sub-domain. Lets say for example the main site url is

www.notarealsite.com

and I wanted to have an annual report for the company on;

www.notarealsite.annual2012.com

Thanks in advance

Rgds

Toose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Are you kidding me? You put dots in urls all the time! It just means a subdomain.

www DOT something DOT somethingelse DOT com

To set this up you just gotta change DNS records. Actually in the example you gave, you would make a new domain, and then add your old domain to it as a subdomain.

Step1: Register annual2012.com domain.
    Step2: Configure annual2012 dns records to include a subdomain called notarealsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Step1: Register annual2012.com domain.
    Step2: Configure annual2012 dns records to include a subdomain called notarealsite.

I think the OP has it backwards.

What they actually want, from their description, is annual2012.notarealsite.com. Which is a subdomain of notarealsite.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yep, makes little difference. Just matter of setting up dns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Toosey

Thanks, had a feeling it was something to do with subdomain but like all things it is easy once you know how, especially dealing with anything computer related .. Will give it a go ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Toosey

Yes that worked, I feel like a right tool now as it was a stupid question ... Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Everything to the left of a domain name is a subdomain. By default on most servers this is set up as 'www', so that going to mydomain.com will direct you to www.mydomain.com, however a subdomain may be anything else, such as mysub.mydomain.com or even my.sub.mydomain.com.

There are two ways to set one up; at the DNS or at the server.

The former involves changing the 'A' record of the DNS, to point to the root Web directory of your sub domain. The latter can generally be configured on the server using Control Panel or similar, to point to a directory that will act as your root Web directory on the same server.

Difference? In practical terms doing it at the DNS is necessary if your principle and sub domains are on separate servers and can also remove a small portion of load on your server as it does not have to filter requests as a result. Doing it at the server is often quicker and easier to do, for most, and also means that there is one less point of failure (although if your DNS goes down, you're probably not going to get much traffic anyway).

Advertisement