Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Run

• 04-01-2013 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

I need to build some sort of dog run. I'm in a rented property and I need to keep the lawn in good order, and so far my pup has been destroying it. The lawn is bordered on one side by a concrete section which is suitable for the run.

This section is 9ft x 60ft. I could give him the entire section if needs be, but the most practical option would be to give him a portion of it, measuring 9ft x 32ft. This gives me a secure area for some potted plants, bins, and other bits and pieces that I want undisturbed access to.

He sleeps in the kitchen at night, and he will be spending more and more time indoors as his toilet and behavioural training progresses. But even at that stage he will still be spending 10-12 hours a day in the run. Is this an acceptable amount of time in that amount of space?

I'm not exactly sure what breed he is (he's a rescued dog), but he's some sort of Staff or Bull cross. In terms of exercise, he gets 20 minutes in the morning playing fetch on a very large green area. And in the evening he gets a 30-40 minute walk around my local area. I'm a very regular runner/walker, so the older he gets the more he will be exercised.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I recently had to start using a run for my two dogs (English Setters and very active) and the area they're in sounds roughly the same size as yours - mines about 30ft x 10ft. They're in there for about 10 hours a day. At first they weren't too happy about being confined and it was really bothering me, but they're used to it now. Once your guy is well exercised, and it sounds like he is, he'll be just fine.

Make sure he has plenty of toys to keep him occupied - a chew toy, a stuffed kong, a ball toy and something he can throw around the place and "kill". Take up the toys every few days and replace them with different toys to keep him interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

That's great. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

To be honest OP 10 to 12 hours alone in a dog run day after day is not great at all. So basically from 8 in the morning to 8 in the evening (or similar)he will be by himself? That only leaves a couple of hours with company and interaction then its time for bed. Your dog will be very bored and lonely. This type of situation can also lead to behavioural problems. You do seem to really care for your dog but I have to be honest and say that set-up is far from ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

How old is the puppy? That time is too long for even an adult dog to be very honest I know you said as he gets older the walks/runs will be more intense and he will get plenty of excersise then but for now that's too long for a pup to be left alone all day. Even with toys.

Run wise you'd need something he couldn't chew his way out of but cheapest option is something timber but if you leave him in a timber run he might chew out of boredom on the run itself. So something like a cilldara or hayses modular or similar galvanised run would be more suitable, you can extend them as time goes on with more panels and it would be more secure for the dog. It's moveable so works well in rented places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Sorry thirdman but I had to come back to this thread and post another more direct reply. It has bugged me.

It is actually not right at all, in fact its purely wrong to leave a dog locked in a pen and isolated and alone for 12 hours a day under any circumstances. This is a stressful boring lonely existence for a dog and you will not be providing your dog with a good home if this is to be his life.

People do have dogs and treat them this way but that does not make it right. Your dog will be deprived of living the life it should with social interaction, feeling of belonging, freedom from stressful loneliness and boredom etc... Your dog will not be a happy dog no matter how much you try to kid yourself he is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Thanks for the replies, and sorry about the delay replying. I've decided against the dog run. I'm going to erect a simple fence around the lawn, leaving the rest to the dog. He'll have two concrete areas in an L shape, with each section measuring roughly 60ft x 9ft. That's quite a bit of space. The main thing is that I can keep him off the lawn. It's not going to be the prettiest looking garden, but it'll do. Harley is a staff-cross, and he's turning into a powerful little fella. I need to avoid behavioural problems of every kind.

Advertisement