Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio Door

• 04-01-2013 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

I recently broke the latch in my patio door. Does anybody know where these can be bought. I got a price from a window/door company of €50 euro which seems very pricey. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

By latch do you mean lever?

If so, & there is one on both sides of the door you could take the 'stump' of the broken one from the inside of the door & fit it on the outside of the door & put the working outside one on the inside of the door.

You could then bring the broken one around to locksmiths & see if they have one that will fit.

€50 seems OTT. I recently bought a single lever for €5.50, & also a set of two levers plus spindle for €20.00. The spindle was too long & had to cut down to size, but works perfectly. Probably could have got both cheaper online from UK, but with postage charges didn't bother.

If you didn't mean lever, then sorry I'd have no idea, but no doubt somebody here will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 toffee82

By latch do you mean lever?

If so, & there is one on both sides of the door you could take the 'stump' of the broken one from the inside of the door & fit it on the outside of the door & put the working outside one on the inside of the door.

You could then bring the broken one around to locksmiths & see if they have one that will fit.

€50 seems OTT. I recently bought a single lever for €5.50, & also a set of two levers plus spindle for €20.00. The spindle was too long & had to cut down to size, but works perfectly. Probably could have got both cheaper online from UK, but with postage charges didn't bother.

If you didn't mean lever, then sorry I'd have no idea, but no doubt somebody here will.

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes I did mean lever. Where did you get yours from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

toffee82 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the reply. Yes I did mean lever. Where did you get yours from?
    Mine is an older type lever & got it in the Lock Hospital on Suir Rd, Kilmainham & was lucky that they had just one that had been lying around for years which was the exact one I needed, & was told that particular one isn't manufactured anymore . I got the set of two levers plus spindle in Crowthers on St Peter's Rd Greenhills - they also have a shop in Finglas. Locks.ie on Capel St also had some, but not the ones I needed, as did Dublin Key & Hardware on the Malahide Rd almost opposite Donnycarny Church.

The best thing for you to do is ring around locksmiths & ask if they sell patio door levers, & then bring the old one with you to make sure it will fit on the spindle, or ask for a new spindle that would suit. The size of the spindle is the important bit (the spindle is the bar that's inserted through the lock mechanism and attaches to the interior and exterior levers).

Advertisement