Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail official app

• 04-01-2013 2:49pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seems to have been released rather quietly on the iOS app store over the Christmas.

Not quite sure what to make of it, seems a bit awkward to use to try and get timetables on it. On the other hand it does have live data too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kc56

Android too.

Live data covers all trains for the day and not just the next hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Will take a look next week. Is it live data or expected timetable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kc56

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Will take a look next week. Is it live data or expected timetable?

Both. Live for next hour or so and timetable after that. Gives no of minutes late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When you select live trains for a specific Dart station, they should allow you to filter northbound or southbound and elect to only view Dart trains. It should be easy to implement and it would more than halve the list of trains you'd have to view.

As things stand, if I ask to view live trains departing from Dun Laoghaire, I get to see trains to Rosslare, Maynooth and Drogheda, none of which I am remotely interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

In fairness they've done a good job on the new app but I still prefer the next train Ireland app more polished I think.

• Advertisement

kc56 wrote: »

Both. Live for next hour or so and timetable after that. Gives no of minutes late.

Tbh I'd would be better if they showed the eta rather than the number of minutes late

thomasj wrote: »
    In fairness they've done a good job on the new app but I still prefer the next train Ireland app more polished I think.

+1 and Next Train Ireland is a lot easier to read. Not everyone has the eyesight of a 20 year old app developer. You wonder what test bed they use before rolling out an app like this. Any tester over the age of 45 could have told them the text is too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

kc56 wrote: »
    Android too.
    Pity it's just the iphone app ported. Unacceptable not to follow the android style guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It's a nice app. It would be excellent if you could book tickets using the app also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

yeah the inability to book tickets is a big letdown,

• Advertisement

freyners wrote: »
    yeah the inability to book tickets is a big letdown,

But to book tickets you would need to pay wouldn't you?

I think it might be down to the security risk aspect. The only transport apk I know of that let's you purchase tickets is aer lingus and even when you click purchase it redirects you to its secure site to complete the payment.

Bear in mind if you are making a card payment using visa you have to use the verified by visa protocol which will redirect you to the web. A messy situation. Is there any transport apks that let you make payments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

I think it might be down to the security risk aspect. The only transport apk I know of that let's you purchase tickets is aer lingus and even when you click purchase it redirects you to its secure site to complete the payment.

Bear in mind if you are making a card payment using visa you have to use the verified by visa protocol which will redirect you to the web. A messy situation. Is there any transport apks that let you make payments?

I wouldn't have a clue at all about that, not my thing. Would their been an option to pay via a leap card I wonder. Its basically an e-purse anyways and might see an increased uptake with it:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I would have thought that if you're selling something though an iOS app apple would insist on their 30% cut.
    Less of a problem on android, but you'd need designers who knew how to make an android app first.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Technically there would be no problem with allowing people to buy tickets via an app. It really isn't any different then doing it via a website, as long as you follow the usual security precautions (https, etc.) there is no real technical difference from a website. In fact in some ways it could be more secure then via a website (Apples walled garden approach makes spyware stealing your details less likely).

The issue is likely that I believe Apple would require a 30% cut of such sales.

However having said that in the US the Amtrak (US equivalent of Irish Rail) iPhone App allows you to buy tickets, assuming without Apple getting a 30% cut, so it must be possible:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amtrak/id405074003?mt=8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There is a version by Irish Rail in association with HaCon which was recently released by Android.

http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=119&n=285

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.hafas.android.irishrail&hl=en

Unfortunately (according to the 2 webpage links above) it doesn't have any functionality to buy the tickets off it's android version either which is practically could be of no use to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

With a small bit of work the APK could presumably be run under the Blackberry Android Runtime. The Blackberry 10 userbase in Ireland won't be big enough to justify a native app for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The Next Train app is perfectly ok for my needs. Much prefer it to the Irish Rail one. I only ever use the Dart, so being able to book tickets isn't all that big of a deal for me.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The Next Train app is perfectly ok for my needs. Much prefer it to the Irish Rail one. I only ever use the Dart, so being able to book tickets isn't all that big of a deal for me.

+1 Next Train Ireland is streets ahead of the official IR app. The developer Stephen McBride is on Twitter and boards so you can provide feedback and comments on the app. The IR official app according to the splash screen is developed in Germany so there's little or no scope for feedback which would be in keeping with IR's policy of not giving a sh1te about their customers.

And can IR please offer the option to remove the exit confirmation message on the Android version of the official app? Total pain in the arse which was rightly left out of the iOS version. Given that you're only viewing information and not buying tickets, there's no reason whatsoever for an exit confirmation screen.

Advertisement