Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone charger defunct after 6months

Options
  • 04-01-2013 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Hi,
    I had to buy a replacement charger for my smart phone at the mean price of E20.
    It has ceased to work and I thought this was very premature! Anyone have similar experiences? My original one is still going strong 15months later.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,866 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it the same brand as the smartphone or a compatible charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Chargers and battery's only get 6 month warranty of the manufacturers while the phones get 24 months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Davy wrote: »
    Chargers and battery's only get 6 month warranty of the manufacturers while the phones get 24 months

I would have thought that aside from manufacturers warranties a failure of a charger within 6 months of purchase would fall under your statuary rights. Which state that things like that should last a reasonable period of time. I doubt many would consider 6 months a reasonable period of time.

If correct you're entitled to a repair replacement or refund (retailer gets to decide) but if it's a repair it should be permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I would have thought that aside from manufacturers warranties a failure of a charger within 6 months of purchase would fall under your statuary rights. Which state that things like that should last a reasonable period of time. I doubt many would consider 6 months a reasonable period of time.

If correct you're entitled to a repair replacement or refund (retailer gets to decide) but if it's a repair it should be permanent.

Either would I, but it has been 6 months for a long time, and the way some people threat charges its not a surprise, but the 6 months line is what will be used.

Yes but there's a difference between a warranty and your statuary rights. A warranty is added value but does not restrict your consumer rights. I'd say the OP has a case if it's a faulty device.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I can't see a six month warranty being upheld as fair on either a battery or a charger. It's more likely on the battery but again I'm very doubtful.

The only thing less likely though, is someone spending €25 to take a €20 charger to the SmCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Did you leave it plugged in for long periods or all the time?

I can't see a six month warranty being upheld as fair on either a battery or a charger. It's more likely on the battery but again I'm very doubtful.

The only thing less likely though, is someone spending €25 to take a €20 charger to the SmCC.

Query, if it ended up in the SCC and you won would you not win costs too?

Query, if it ended up in the SCC and you won would you not win costs too?

Nope

Nope

Yes I see it there now thanks:
    Q14. Can I include in my claim expenses incurred in connection with it?

A14. No.Your claim is limited to the value of the goods or service purchased. For damage to private property, it is limited to the actual amount of the damage caused.

http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/Library3.nsf/0/A48FAC9688FA96FF802571F8002D6A01?OpenDocument

I'd still pursue this up to the SCC. Then maybe I'd leave it.

• Advertisement

Yes I see it there now thanks:

http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/Library3.nsf/0/A48FAC9688FA96FF802571F8002D6A01?OpenDocument

I'd still pursue this up to the SCC. Then maybe I'd leave it.

I think there is some Latin tern for cutting out small claims - it might not be the same theory but the result is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

Thanks, OP here.To answer some queries:

I can't pursue anything as don't have any receipt. But was interested to hear people's views.

It was a generic one, my original phone charger is still working 15months on.

I'd have thought 6 months was very short. And it was expensive at Eur20! Re. usage, I have to charge my HTC every nite so it was used overnight practically every nite.

Thanks all.

Without a receipt it's difficult but did you pay by cash or card? If by card then there should be a record on your account/bill. If not then go back to the store and be very nice and tell them about your problem. You might get lucky.

Advertisement