Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Discipline policy for a school: ideas which work?

• 04-01-2013 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

I'm in a school where the existing discipline policy does not work. That's, obviously, putting it mildly. In fact, it is a joke with kids laughing about being put on detention, taking their latest suspension nonchalantly indeed as a status symbol, and a principal who is absolutely terrified of any legal repercussions of a parental challenge to a school expulsion (it appears that the finances required to fight such a challenge would destroy the school's existence).

In the meantime, the staff is in continuous rebellion as the same ultra disruptive students continue in the school. And the really great, hardworking students from brilliant, admirable parents in this area continue to have their educational opportunities impeded by these students.

A problem I've noticed is that most staff are here for decades and have no idea of discipline procedures in other schools. They are in their own world. Similarly, the principal has limited/no experience of other schools' discipline procedures. My question is intentionally broad as I'm looking for discipline feedback at all levels of the school, anything which will help us to rid our school of these elements and improve the chances of the hard-working kids.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have you read any of Bill Rogers stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Seanchai wrote: »
    anything which will help us to rid our school of these elements and improve the chances of the hard-working kids.

What do you mean by this phrase, do you mean rid the school of these students in particular to help the willing or rid the school of behaviour issues but keeping the troublesome students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

seavill wrote: »
    What do you mean by this phrase, do you mean rid the school of these students in particular to help the willing or rid the school of behaviour issues but keeping the troublesome students

I mean end this repetitive behaviour by the same students. Whatever does that is fine by me, be it radically improved behaviour or expulsion. Essentially, I suspect the same students would not push things as much if we had different/harder discipline policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Have you read any of Bill Rogers stuff?

I've watched the dvd. It was helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

Bring back the big stick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Seanchai wrote: »
    I mean end this repetitive behaviour by the same students. Whatever does that is fine by me, be it radically improved behaviour or expulsion. Essentially, I suspect the same students would not push things as much if we had different/harder discipline policies.

I'm not having a go but I think you as a staff need to decide which side of the fence you fall on with this one.

Firstly as the old saying goes it is almost impossible to expel someone. It is not impossible but it's very difficult. I have experienced a few instances of it up to now. For it to be successful it needs to be a very very serious case/incident. Disruption of class, no matter now bad, will not cover it really. Your documentation needs to be in order and properly in order. You need to have shown all the strategies you have used to counteract the behaviour/incident leading up to the decision of expulsion. The BOM can't just decide basically.

In relation to my opening point above, the answer in my current school is to get rid of the people that are causing hassle, let someone else take them. Personally having working in disadvantaged schools in the past I don't agree with this stance. Although the need of one should never outweigh the need of the many the attitude of don't bother and just get rid of them does not sit well with me personally.

As someone mentioned above Brendan Rodgers stuff is good. There are a huge amount of strategies that can be used depending on the situation however I feel it really depends on where your school is having problems as to what advice can be given.

Other information can be got from the NBSS, they used to have loads of publications on their website (I haven't been on it in ages). You could also contact them and ask them can they assist your school with changing the discipline policy. I'm sure they could advise.

I do think though that the changes you need to make are really dependent on what the actual issues are and solutions are very specific around these issues. General information my not be overly useful (although I shall be proved wrong as usual)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I have taught in two schools. One was a disadvantaged school in a town, the other (should also have DEIS status but never got it) in a country setting.

The town school had discipline issues whereas the country one does not.

To compare the two and their policies towards discipline would be difficult. But one thing I did notice was the attitude of the students to the small things..eg uniforms. The school with discipline issues had students flouting the uniform rules daily and no consequences. The other school had someone standing at the door checking it.

When you get up in the morning and decide not to put on the proper uniform and get away with it, well then you see what else you can get away with.

Might not be too helpful to your problem though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I always feel looking after the small things matters.

Knocking on doors, sorry to disturb you, please, thank you - slightly less likely to tell me to f--- off (or maybe not).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

In my limited experience the principal sets the tone for the school. The school I work in has an EXCELLENT principal. The staff love him. No bull from him. The kids are terrified of him. You just need to mention his name and that settles them. He is often seen on patrols between classes etc. The school has an excellent rep in the area an achieve EXCELLENT exam results.

My wife works in a school where at a staff meeting at the beginning of the year, the principal told the staff they are not to EVER contact her unless they ABSOLUTLY have to. She might as well not be there. for example, she came on the PA system one day to make an anouncenet and my wife remarked that some of the kids were whispering that they had never seen the principal. Kids run wild in the school due to complete lack of managment. The year heads don't have any support either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

TheBody wrote: »
    The kids are terrified of him..

wouldn't totally agree with that either, kids in my school aren't terrified of me however they are wary of getting on my wrong side.
    I agree, the staff need to do the small things e.g. uniform. Also staff need to group and lay on lots of seperate detention centres, making students hate being kept in. Lash on 1 week hard detention i.e. writing out given, no looking around.
    But it really is the small things.
    Also split up the trouble makers into different classes, divide and conquer.

What about discipline/academic review committees, students hate sitting in front of a number of teachers explaining themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I think what we are all trying to say is that discipline needs a whole staff approach from top to bottom. It doesn't work if there is a weak link in the chain of command.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Fizzical

TheDriver wrote: »
    I agree, the staff need to do the small things e.g. uniform.
    This is where my school falls down. The staff have tried to do the small things but get no support from higher up so it's frustrating and ineffective. Basically there's no point making the effort. When the weak link is at the top, it's difficult for the general staff.
    Also staff need to group and lay on lots of seperate detention centres
    I don't understand this - can you explain? Who does the detention and how is it organised?
    What about discipline/academic review committees, students hate sitting in front of a number of teachers explaining themselves.
    I think this can be dangerous. I remember feeling quite uncomfortable being part of such a discipline group some time ago. It felt like bullying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Slightly butting in here, but my year head has installed a new thing this year. If a student goes on probation 2 (previously suspension), he/she must shadow our year head around for the days their on probation. They literally have to follow the teacher around all day. They've to spend lunches in detention and are refused contact during school time (9.00am straight to 3.40pm). They're also assigned work which they must complete at the back of the year heads class and must catch up on missed class work during their own time (like they would with suspension). This is mainly to combat the issue of students being lazy and using suspension as a holiday. Honestly, it's been working brilliantly. Our year has seriously copped on and has greatly improved. No one wants to have to do this new punishment and so far in the entire year only one student has been on probation 2.

Advertisement