Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ipad Data Usage - Excessive

• 04-01-2013 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I got an Ipad for Xmas (Ipad with retina display 16GB). I have an iPhone 4 and have been connecting to this through the personal hotspot to use a wifi network for the Ipad. I have noticed however the data usage on the Ipad seems to be very high for doing the same things I would do on the iPhone.

I would use a bit over 250mb a bit on the phone monthly accessing mainly Facebook, Twitter, Boards and other apps or websites.

In the first week approx with the Ipad my usage was about 3.5GB. I have a Tethering allowance of 7.5GB a month with O2 which started yesterday. My wife was using the Ipad last night and matched maybe 4-5 youtube videos and I spent a few minutes looking at FB but nothing really so an hour or so between us. When I check today the O2 site is telling me I used up 780MB of data.

This seems very excessive to me considering the time the device was actually used.

Is this just standard for the Ipad or is there something going on in the background causing this. What is everyone elses usage like on a monthly basis?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Did you set up the iPad with the same apple I'd as the phone and if so did you download all the same apps. That would explain a lot of the data

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

As above, updating or downloading apps will kill your data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

copacetic wrote: »
    As above, updating or downloading apps will kill your data.
    guil wrote: »
    Did you set up the iPad with the same apple I'd as the phone and if so did you download all the same apps. That would explain a lot of the data

I used the same apple id and did download a lot of the apps initially which would explain the initial huge amount of data.

I'm more interested in how such a huge chunk of data was used yesterday for a few videos and few minutes browsing? I didn't do anything with apps yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Perhaps the iPad uses higher resolution for streaming than the iPhone?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I used the same apple id and did download a lot of the apps initially which would explain the initial huge amount of data.

I'm more interested in how such a huge chunk of data was used yesterday for a few videos and few minutes browsing? I didn't do anything with apps yesterday.

I'm not trying to be smart, but clearly someone used a lot more data than a few minutes browsing and a few videos. An app update, a long HD video, hundreds of pics.

There is no real big difference in data usage otherwise from iPhone to iPad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

780MB is not a lot, a few mins of HD content on youtube would use a nice bit of data.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Does the iphone compress data like when rendering a site on safari? The ipad may not do this

copacetic wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be smart, but clearly someone used a lot more data than a few minutes browsing and a few videos. An app update, a long HD video, hundreds of pics.

There is no real big difference in data usage otherwise from iPhone to iPad.

Honestly an hour max with the videos. I was there when they were viewing and it wasn't used for the rest of the day. My phone wouldn't have been available to connect through even if someone was trying to use it on the sly :eek:

According to this link a 15 minute video would use up around 13.2MB which would sound about right to me.

Is there anything that could be running that could be eating up data when not in use? This is another option I guess?

jester77 wrote: »
    780MB is not a lot, a few mins of HD content on youtube would use a nice bit of data.

Have actually found this information below from the Orange website in the UK which would seem right to me as well

100 emails without attachments = 1MB
    2 emails with attachments = 1MB
    1 email with photo attachment = 1MB
    1 hour spent in Instant Messenger = 1MB
    30 minutes listening to internet radio = 28MB
    1 hour web browsing = 20MB
    downloading one 3-minute MP3 = 4MB
    5 minutes watching YouTube™ videos = 12MB
    downloading one film trailer = 10 MB

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Honestly an hour max with the videos. I was there when they were viewing and it wasn't used for the rest of the day. My phone wouldn't have been available to connect through even if someone was trying to use it on the sly :eek:

According to this link a 15 minute video would use up around 13.2MB which would sound about right to me.

Is there anything that could be running that could be eating up data when not in use? This is another option I guess?

An hour isn't a few videos, it's a large amount, especially if a couple of them were HD, which will run 100-150MB for 10 mins or so.

Your links are for low quality videos.

That probably is a difference for you from iPhone..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

Download the Data Usage app and monitor the usage on the ipad for a day...

Try running it while there is no data in use. Then see what the data usage is for a minute of a Youtube video etc...
    You should be able to work out what is using up all the data.

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/data-usage/id386950560?mt=8

Advertisement