Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Duathlon Series

Options
  • 04-01-2013 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Thinking of taking part the naas duathlon series this year, It would be my first one and was wondering if anyone would have any info on it?

I have never entered a duathlon, and have only been cycling a couple of months, I was just wondering how beginner/novice friendly the event would be? Fitness is not an issue as Im sure I would be well able to finish in a decent time!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

rob w wrote: »
    Thinking of taking part the naas duathlon series this year, It would be my first one and was wondering if anyone would have any info on it?

I have never entered a duathlon, and have only been cycling a couple of months, I was just wondering how beginner/novice friendly the event would be? Fitness is not an issue as Im sure I would be well able to finish in a decent time!

Thanks

Very beginner friendly, in previous years the January one hasn't happened because of snow and ice but this year should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭rob w

Thats good to know, thanks for that. I was going to do the Feb and March ones anyway, dont think ill be free for the January one, but if I am ill try make it there!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

hi rob,last jan was my very first duathlon and it was naas, found it to be very beginner friendly and very well run and most of all i enjoyed it, done the second one in feb and two others after. this year im down to do the whole naas race series and have 3/4 other races earmarked for entry. i had only been cycling a short while before i entered naas also but got through it grand and even improved my time the second day out.

hi rob,last jan was my very first duathlon and it was naas, found it to be very beginner friendly and very well run and most of all i enjoyed it, done the second one in feb and two others after. this year im down to do the whole naas race series and have 3/4 other races earmarked for entry. i had only been cycling a short while before i entered naas also but got through it grand and even improved my time the second day out.

Cool, thanks for that! I'll definitely be doing it now I think, I'd like to try and set myself a time in the February one to beat in March! Do you remember what the elevation was like, mostly flat? Hilly?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

rob w wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for that! I'll definitely be doing it now I think, I'd like to try and set myself a time in the February one to beat in March! Do you remember what the elevation was like, mostly flat? Hilly?

Run is mostly flat, as is the bike. The odd ramp but nothing of note.

• Advertisement

yea as tunney says the run is fairly flat, from memory the bike ride had a few drags on it all right but managable.

One more thing I just thought of.....have you got any tips on shorts/footwear to wear for both cycle and run? Silly question, but I'm a bit of a noob! ;)

starting off i used my cycling shorts under my running shorts( wasnt brave enough to run in cycle shorts alone first time out), and runners for the run, worth investing in elastic laces to help with transition times, and i just used my cycling shoes as normal for the bike. you should look up transition changes on youtube to get a idea of what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »

Run is mostly flat, as is the bike. The odd ramp but nothing of note.

I would describe the bike as draggy on the way out.... The way out is generally into a headwind from what I recall.

less than 2 weeks to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 loughlin84

hi, i am also entering this for the first time. could anyone give me advice on what type of shorts to wear. i have never ran in padded cycling shorts, i can use padded seat cover if best.

u could get a tri shorts, like a cycling shorts but the padding is a bit smaller, but if you dont want to get that so close to the race i,d go with normal running shorts and seating padding like you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Just received an email - Race No. 1 is full and no on the day entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Have you signed up for the race couerdelion? I'm signed up but haven't received anything from them. Still early in the week I suppose but no idea of time to be there at, think it said it started at half twelve.

yea its due to start at 12.30 this sunday, no info recieved on reg yet either. looks like its going to be a cold one on sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

joey100 wrote: »
    Have you signed up for the race couerdelion? I'm signed up but haven't received anything from them. Still early in the week I suppose but no idea of time to be there at, think it said it started at half twelve.

No, I'm not racing it Joey - still on the slow and steady stuff :)
    It is a 12:30 start though like you said.

The cycle is slighty shorter too at around 19.4 km.

anyone get reg details yet?

just reg details folks, reg on between 10.30 - 11.30

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Anyone able to get me an entry please!!!

PM me if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Forecast is 1 - 2 degs on Sunday, probably a severe frost overnight...could this be cancelled/postponed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

kuro_man wrote: »
    Forecast is 1 - 2 degs on Sunday, probably a severe frost overnight...could this be cancelled/postponed?

Wouldnt be the first time

if it is to be canncelled, when will they make a decision and announce it? was really looking forward to sunday and blowing out the cobwebs!

Full steam ahead for tomorrow folks, just annouced on naastriclub web page.

well folks, how are we fixed for the 2nd race in the series, howd things go in the first race?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

starting off i used my cycling shorts under my running shorts( wasnt brave enough to run in cycle shorts alone first time out), and runners for the run, worth investing in elastic laces to help with transition times, and i just used my cycling shoes as normal for the bike. you should look up transition changes on youtube to get a idea of what happens.

Would a complete beginner be ok to cycle in their runners? (I dont have cycling shoes :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

well folks, how are we fixed for the 2nd race in the series, howd things go in the first race?

i think for some people things dont go that well if they cant enter the race ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

link_2007 wrote: »
    Would a complete beginner be ok to cycle in their runners? (I dont have cycling shoes :o )
    yes its ok

the second race filled up quite quickly just like the first, still places left fot the last race

link_2007 wrote: »
    yea sure would thats how we all started!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

yea sure would thats how we all started!

+1

Advertisement