Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking Ireland

Options
  • 04-01-2013 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I am planning to walk across Ireland for my 60th birthday. I am from California. I have found maps from Inland Waterways that show a route along the Grand Canal from Dublin to the river Shannon. Does anyone know a path, street, road or other route to walk from the Shannon or from Banagher to Galway?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

brian grey wrote: »
    Hi, I am planning to walk across Ireland for my 60th birthday. I am from California. I have found maps from Inland Waterways that show a route along the Grand Canal from Dublin to the river Shannon. Does anyone know a path, street, road or other route to walk from the Shannon or from Banagher to Galway?
    you can get a book from waterways ireland cycle the canals i think it's called;) fair auld task best of luck with it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Th western way would be worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Eyeball Tickler

There aren't really any trails that will take you from the Shannon to Galway. The Hymany Way might get you some of the way there, but it wouldn't be the most direct route. Another guy did the same across-Ireland walk and while the canal walk sounds great, and I've done small stretches of it, from the Shannon to Galway you're pretty much on roads. See his reports at grandcanalhike.org.

While the canal is lovely, and I know there is a certain sense of achievement to walking across the country, I really do think our best walking by far is to be had in the hills and along the coast — the canal route is pretty flat and undramatic, while lovely. The Western Way, Kerry Way, Dingle Way, Wicklow Way and Beara Way are all worth checking out if you haven't already. See irishtrails.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

OP, there is another thread that is a few years old, which may be of some assistance.

I would recommend OSI maps for the trip. Weatherproof maps are also available.

Have you got good rain gear for the walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 brian grey

Mustard, Thanks for your reply. I have ordered the OSI maps. I also found the older link very interesting and possibly very helpful. I plan to contact one or two of the posters from that older link who, apparently, have taken this walk. And yes, we have good rain gear. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

feck sake lads: thanks for your reply. i have contacted inland waterways.ie to get their maps. thanks again. brian grey

eyeball tickler: thanks for your reply. i'm sure there are prettier walks but, somehow, i am drawn to walking across ireland

mickeroo: thanks for your reply.

feck sake lads: thanks for your reply.

Had to look at this a few times before I got it!

Good luck. I'd echo the sentiments above, it would not be an obvious route, and some of the stretches may be downright unpretty (think flat bog stretching for miles)...but no doubt much of it will be pretty. Maybe, if you're using guesthouses check that they have drying facilities, and you cannot bring enough waterproof gear.

Thanks for your reply Conor74. Flat is good. What a great suggestion, to check about drying facilities in the B&B's we plan to stay in. My wife and I are outdoors oriented and have good weather gear for hiking the Sierra Nevada mountains and the California coast. We were likewise warned by Irish friends to bring rain gear on our first visit to Ireland and Dublin in 2011. Curiously, it stopped raining the day we got off the plane and never rained until we left 10 days later. Perhaps we will bring our California weather again.

• Advertisement

We were likewise warned by Irish friends to bring rain gear on our first visit to Ireland and Dublin in 2011. Curiously, it stopped raining the day we got off the plane and never rained until we left 10 days later. Perhaps we will bring our California weather again.

In fact, come to stay this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

Brian, that's a great plan. Dublin Bay to Galway Bay is on my "to do" list too but there's a very long list !
    When are you planning on doing it, maybe we could join you for a day if you'd like some local company ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

i most certainly hope your not coming to look for work:D:D

Advertisement