Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian CV on a WHV

Options
  • 04-01-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hey

I am moving to Aus next month and am currently preparing a CV just to send to recruiters and put up on Seek etc. I'll be on a WHV but am looking to get a job in my field (Finance) to get experience working abroad and if I like it maybe the opportunity to be sponsored.

Just wondering, should I say in my resume that I'm on a WHV but would be looking to be sponsored if it worked out? Just unsure of how to phrase it. I know you're not meant to use it as a means of permanent migration but anyone I know over there said in their interviews that they were looking to stay and got jobs. I know it's not going to be easy to get a job so please no replies telling me this, I've heard it all already!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

Hello,

You could write on the top of your Resume (what the Ozzie's call CV) that you are on a working holiday visa and maybe say what date it ends or you could include this in a cover letter if you choose to send one.

Alternatively, if you are using an Agency like Hays etc, just let them know your on a whv but you would like a job with sponsorship and they should be able to help you out :)

When you get called for the Interview you could mention to the company that if all goes well, you would like sponsorship. You can only work for max 6 months with one company on a whv and most companies will prefer you to stay with them for the 6 months and then if they like you as a worker, then sponsorship will be on their agenda.

Good luck :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I was wondering this myself recently. Been doing up my CV, and not sure if i should put it at the top or not. On one hand, i'll obviously be telling them i'm on a WHV, i just don't want someone to see WHV and immediately stop reading the rest of the CV.

At least look at my qualifications before rejecting me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I never mentioned my type of visa. Some companies got back to me and asked, but most didn't. That way when i got an interview i was able to explain to them what my visa was and how they could extend it through sponsorship. Many companies don't know much about the whv or sponsorship so don't assume they know what you're talking about. That's why i thought it'd be easier to discuss it face to face in the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Yeah I think I may leave it off for now and then as you say explaining it to them in person would be better. Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Kiith wrote: »
    I was wondering this myself recently. Been doing up my CV, and not sure if i should put it at the top or not. On one hand, i'll obviously be telling them i'm on a WHV, i just don't want someone to see WHV and immediately stop reading the rest of the CV.

At least look at my qualifications before rejecting me :P

A lot of companies over here will not entertain sponsorship. Also, there's no point applying for a full time role when you can only work for six months without stating it up front.

It's not nice and some would say not fair that companies refuse to sponsor out of hand. However, that's life. My last employer was like this, default no to non Permanent Residents. The reason - because they'd been burnt too many times in the past and just couldn't be bothered with the hassle anymore.

• Advertisement

Oh, i've no intention of applying for a full time position, or trying to hide the fact that i can only do the 6 months. But i just didn't want someone to immediately stop reading my CV just cause i am on a WHV.

And i know sponsorship is a long shot, but i'll still ask, assuming i find a good place to work. Or any place to work :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You can only be sponsored if your job is on the 'list'. I have a great job at the moment (was covering maternity leave which is initially 6 months here). The lady I'm covering will be taking the maximum time off which is a year. The company want to sponsor me but the job I do isn't on the list so nowt I or they can do about it.

You can only be sponsored if your job is on the 'list'. I have a great job at the moment (was covering maternity leave which is initially 6 months here). The lady I'm covering will be taking the maximum time off which is a year. The company want to sponsor me but the job I do isn't on the list so nowt I or they can do about it.

Labour agreement?

What do you do, if you don't mind me asking?

I'll only be in tech support, so i realise there's very little chance of me getting sponsored in that, unless i can branch out into networking or something similar. It's what i did in college though, so hopefully i can get some low level experience in it, and then find a networking job.

Sure it's worth a shot anyway :pac:

Kiith wrote: »
    What do you do, if you don't mind me asking?

I'll only be in tech support, so i realise there's very little chance of me getting sponsored in that, unless i can branch out into networking or something similar. It's what i did in college though, so hopefully i can get some low level experience in it, and then find a networking job.

Sure it's worth a shot anyway :pac:

At the moment anti fraud for Virgin Australia. It/the field, doesn't come anywhere on the jobs list so they can't sponsor me. I'm on iPod at moment but just google the skilled occupation list. It's easy to find.

• Advertisement

Yeah, network engineer is on the list, so that'd be my best shot. We'll see if i can actually get something like that though.

At the moment anti fraud for Virgin Australia. It/the field, doesn't come anywhere on the jobs list so they can't sponsor me. I'm on iPod at moment but just google the skilled occupation list. It's easy to find.

ICT Business Analyst is on the list. Your employer should know better or is giving you lip service.

ArseBurger wrote: »
    ICT Business Analyst is on the list. Your employer should know better or is giving you lip service.

Thanks for looking :) But that's not what I do or have experience in, I'm a fraud/compliance analyst and in an antifraud role at the moment. You'd really need to squint your eyes to try and pass that off as a business systems analyst :)

If I'm super lucky they'll take me back 3 months after I have to quit. By all accounts finding people with my background is impossible here in Bris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_analyst
    Pretty sure that should get you in ! No squinting required.

Thanks for looking :) But that's not what I do or have experience in, I'm a fraud/compliance analyst and in an antifraud role at the moment. You'd really need to squint your eyes to try and pass that off as a business systems analyst :)

If I'm super lucky they'll take me back 3 months after I have to quit. By all accounts finding people with my background is impossible here in Bris.

*sigh*

I know what your role is, ICT Business Analyst covers what you do.

I've worked in Mobile Telco for over 13 years, trust me...

ArseBurger wrote: »
    *sigh*

I know what your role is, ICT Business Analyst covers what you do.

I've worked in Mobile Telco for over 13 years, trust me...

No need to sigh when ICT business analyst doesn't sound anything remotely like what I do. Thanks for the information however, I'll follow it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

A lot of the occupations on the list seem quite vague, looking at it I could probably say I had at least 3 on the list that would cover what I'm qualified at, but does it just go on the job you are actually doing?

A lot of the occupations on the list seem quite vague, looking at it I could probably say I had at least 3 on the list that would cover what I'm qualified at, but does it just go on the job you are actually doing?

Its the job you're being sponsored for. I have about 4 on the list that my qualification would cover but it actually took us some effort to find one that in someway matches my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 aussie_mella

Hays in London offer a Globalink service, check that one out :

http://www.hays.co.uk/globalink/HAYS_552611

Advertisement