Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Coast (starting+ ending in Seattle)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Jonny_D wrote: »
    Yup!
    http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2021450982_regional23xml.html

They did really well last season and are being touted as Super Bowl contenders this season.

No problems getting tickets for the Mariners though...;)

We were in vegas a couple of weeks ago and I put $30 on them to win the superbowl.

Mariners? ew... 10+ years under 500. Its hard to watch. They've been on a winning streak though. We're going to the game on friday.

Sounders are... so so... great atmosphere though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Don't think there's any standing at the games...(apart from standing in your seats when something happens.)

Ticketmaster are selling standing tickets for the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonny_D

Ticketmaster are selling standing tickets for the game!

I saw that on Ticketmaster yesterday, but didn't see any option to buy standing tickets. I'm not sure what they mean by standing, as there isn't anywhere to stand in the stadium - it's all-seater.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

If you cant get tickets, you should try the Irish bars, there is always tickets going around the bars, but you have to ask, try emailing them first if they have regulars who go to games and tell them your story. That you are coming to USA specially just to see the Mariners.
    Start with Kells bar. and ask them then if they know the local bars if you dont have any luck from them.

I saw that on Ticketmaster yesterday, but didn't see any option to buy standing tickets. I'm not sure what they mean by standing, as there isn't anywhere to stand in the stadium - it's all-seater.

Saw some Standing Room only tickets mentioned on another sight and looked into it a bit more.
    Looks like there are certain sections where you can stand. Never seen them myself.
    So, apologies - you were right. :cool:

• Advertisement

I got to soccer games in CenturyLink Field pretty regularly and there's an area around the North end (bottom of the "birds nest" stand) that is open and facing the field, thats the only area I can imagine they'd sell tickets for.
    Given that those games can go on for many hours I wouldn't recommend it though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'll be sitting :P

Guys any recommendations for a car rental company?

Convertible is what i'm looking at and will be doing about 1300 miles in it, spaced over 5 days

Going from San Fran to Seattle via yosemite and then up the coast.

Would be happy to listen to any recommendations on what to see on the coast if anyone has them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Guys any recommendations for a car rental company?

I doubt that there is any one company that is always best/cheaper when it comes to car rental. It just depends on the prices that you get on the day that you book.

Any obvious companies loo good when you search on a site like Kayak ?

Also try going to every car hire companies website to see if they have any specials/deals because they wont be listed on the listing sites like travelocity.

• Advertisement

Have spent a good chunk of the day looking, for those of you in the states Avenger or mustang?

Have spent a good chunk of the day looking, for those of you in the states Avenger or mustang?

Mustang. 100%

Dodge is a Chrysler product line and nobody buys them except rental companies. (Although you're not buying one... and I'm sure it would hold together for 1300miles!).

Also the avenger is a 4 door right? There's a dodge charger convertible but I dont know how good it is.

Anyway, given a similar price I'd go mustang.

There's also the chevy camaro. Probably better quality than dodge but less than ford.

yeah its a 4 door, but it looks badass :)

Its also a bit cheaper than the Mustang maybe 200 dollars.

Also should i take out extra insurance?

yeah its a 4 door, but it looks badass :)

Its also a bit cheaper than the Mustang maybe 200 dollars.

Also should i take out extra insurance?

200 bucks cheaper? Hmmm. The prob is that the default handling characteristics for most American cars is wallowy and without feeling... but you could swap it out if you don't like it. Ask about that when pick it up.

Id certainly get the extra insurance. No question. Keep your liability to a minimum. When Americans have crashes the costs multiply fast. And given the randomness of their driving you'll be happy for the peace of mind.

Last question...

Better to book the mustang in advance or book a small car and upgrade at the desk?

I had an Avenger as a rental when I was down in San Diego last month.
    Horrible car. Feels very cheap inside.
    The Dodge Charger (which is a very similar body shape) is a better car I think (the cops use them around my area).

If you don't mind paying the extra cash, go for the Mustang.
    There are probably better cars in the next size up from the Avenger (full size?) that might work out cheaper than the Mustang.

If you do go for the Avenger, expect to feel a little sad and empty inside that a car with such a cool sounding name can be so terribly bland.:(

Mustang it is...

Last question...

Better to book the mustang in advance or book a small car and upgrade at the desk?

Tough call...

Check for deals first on the companies websites.

If there's nothing there then I'm really not sure. Booking in advance means they may bump you up a class if they dont have what you want (and that could happen easily).

But companies work differently. ANd booking in advance may mean you miss out on the spontaneous upgrade. but thats not guaranteed either...

:(

Hey folks, just an update and a question on this.

Decided to go for the SUV and after a few conversations with Hertz i got a Chevy Equinox (or similar) for €450 for 5 days including 1 way drop to Seattle.

So now i'm looking for a recommendation to spend for an overnight place to stay.

So far i'm drawn to Crater Lake/Klamath falls area but I would like to do come coast driving too, so looking at Coos Bay too.

any recommendations?

• Advertisement

The stretch of I-5 through the mountains of southern oregon and northern ca is really pretty.
    So I think i'd go crater lake/klamath falls.

Cheers,just showed the wife pictures of crater lake, its a done deal :D

Hi folks, any recommendations of where to stay in/near yosemite for 2 nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Neither of these are 'commuting' distance but pitstop ideas on the West side of Yosemite.

Tonepah in Nevada is an interesting pitstop. Not much to it, but it's a got a good Old West flavour. Interesting restored hotel, including the bullet holes in the elevator :)

http://www.mizpahhotel.net/

A better base for Death Valley perhaps?

Outside of Yosemite, I thought the Mono Basin area was nice or out of ski season try for Mammoth.

I was going to say that was a great game but I only just this minute realized... that you're Titans fan...

I hope you had a good time anyway... You experienced the Seattle 12th Man no doubt?

:o

Advertisement