Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local snapshots in Time Machine

Options
  • 04-01-2013 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Those local snapshots are very annoying when I'm looking though my old backups in Time Machine (They show up as grey while my Time Capsule backups show in pink). However does the 'versions' feature of OSX rely on local backups being enabled?

What I'm asking is, if I turn off the local snapshots completely using tmutil, will I still be able to right click on the title in pages or textedit etc. to show all versions of the file?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I remember reading that snapshots for versions were stored in a resource fork that belongs to the file itself. If that's true, it would be independent of local TM snapshots.

EDIT:

I was wrong about the resource forks, but it's separate from Time Machine...

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7/14/

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

I remember reading that snapshots for versions were stored in a resource fork that belongs to the file itself. If that's true, it would be independent of local TM snapshots.

Thanks. If you happen to have the link I'll try it out, I just don't want to stop local backups to find all of my versions deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

Just in case anyone is reading this and wondering what I've done, here it is:

I did some digging of my own to see if local snapshots affect versions, and when I was digging I somehow corrupted most of my local snapshots. Luckily, however, disabling local snapshots does not affect file versioning at all.

If anyone wants to know how to disable local snapshots, look no further

Advertisement