Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study tips from a previous Leaving Cert student

• 04-01-2013 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm currently in college and sat my LC last year.
    I just responded to someones thread about studying, and thought it might be useful to post what tips I came up with somewhere else, for everyone to see.
    Maybe some other past students could post their own too.

Remember, these are just what worked for me, and everyone is different, but hopefully they might help some of you out. :)

Try and do all or most of your study in the same place. If you change study areas too much then you'll keep finding distractions, but if you keep to the same place eventually there'll be nothing new and you can focus better.

Recite your notes aloud. You learn better from your own voice. Sometimes recording yourself and putting it on your ipod or something can help too.

Saying things 3 times help it go into your long term memory.

Write out your own written notes, it's easier to learn from your own handwriting, and it helps exclude any irrelevant information.

Writing things out over and over usually helps too.

Don;t listen to music while you study. If you do, on the day of the exam any little noise will try and distract you. I'm actually studying Psychology in College now and we learned about mood congruency and memory. You're more likely to remember something on the day if you're in the same mood you were in when you learned it. Similar principle to the music thing.

I found flashcards very helpful for me. I created a rough, non-detailed summary of whatever topic it was. The morning and nights before exams I usually just flipped through them. I only had key words written on them so it helped jog my memory as to what else I had to remember. I would suggest this method, but it's not all that useful until really close to exam time.

Even if you don't do flashcards, break everything down into bullet points. Learning blocks of text is not easy.

Timetables for me don't work. I made so many and when I didn't stick to them I got really anxious and worried about not getting everything done. I just had a rough idea of what I wanted to get done, that I made the morning of study. Say 3 topics of Biology and 2 English or something like that.

I also liked to spend longer at fewer subjects than say one hour of each subject per day.

When you're doing more than one subject a day make sure they're not too similar. For example, don;t do French and Italian on the same day. Maybe Chemistry and Business.

When bullet pointing topics use numbers, not just points. It's easier to remember a topic if you think of how many key points you have to remember. Like, when you remember point 1 it leads you to remember point 2 and so on.

Colour coding points is useful, I still do this now for my college notes. I used yellow highlighter for the key points, orange for extra material that could be used, and pink for examples. When you're trying to think of something in an exam it can often work to think of what colour it was, and that should help jog your memory. Before you think that that would be your entire sample answer or whatever highlighted I dont mean like that. Similar to the flashcards key words thing. You would highlight the key word in the key point yellow, which helps you remember the entire point. I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself right here. haha

It sounds cliche but most important thing is not let the occassion get to you. Relax.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

would you rank re-writing/breaking down notes ahead of doing exam questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

would you rank re-writing/breaking down notes ahead of doing exam questions?

They're both really important. At the end of the day, you're learning all this info for an exam.
    But, you need to know the info. at the same time.
    They're both as important as eachother, but I'd focus on knowing the info first and then moving on to applying it to exam questions.

But thats just my opinion. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

biohaiid wrote: »
    I just responded to someones thread about studying, and thought it might be useful to post what tips I came up with somewhere else, for everyone to see.

Remember, these are just what worked for me, and everyone is different, but hopefully they might help some of you out. :)

Try and do all or most of your study in the same place. If you change study areas too much then you'll keep finding distractions, but if you keep to the same place eventually there'll be nothing new and you can focus better.

Recite your notes aloud. You learn better from your own voice. Sometimes recording yourself and putting it on your ipod or something can help too.

Write out your own written notes, it's easier to learn from your own handwriting, and it helps exclude any irrelevant information.

Don;t listen to music while you study. If you do, on the day of the exam any little noise will try and distract you. I'm actually studying Psychology in College now and we learned about mood congruency and memory. You're more likely to remember something on the day if you're in the same mood you were in when you learned it. Similar principle to the music thing.

I found flashcards very helpful for me. I created a rough, non-detailed summary of whatever topic it was. The morning and nights before exams I usually just flipped through them. I only had key words written on them so it helped jog my memory as to what else I had to remember. I would suggest this method, but it's not all that useful until really close to exam time.

Even if you don't do flashcards, break everything done into bullet points. Learning blocks of text is not easy.

Timetables for me don't work. I made so many and when I didn't stick to them I got really anxious and worried about not getting everything done. I just had a rough idea of what I wanted to get done, that I made the morning of study. Say 3 topics of Biology and 2 English or something like that.

I also liked to spend longer at fewer subjects than say one hour of each subject per day.

When you're doing more than one subject a day make sure they're not too similar. For example, don;t do French and Italian on the same day. Maybe Chemistry and Business.

It sounds cliche but most important thing is not let the occassion get to you. Relax.
    I'd hate to be annoying but like do you have an example of a flashcard? I'm curious about using that method :)

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I'd hate to be annoying but like do you have an example of a flashcard? I'm curious about using that method :)

I'm actually going to my dads later where all my LC stuff is so I can find one and post up whats written on it.

But it's nothing difficult. It's just bullet pointing the main points in a given topic so to jog your memory. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Even if you don't do flashcards, break everything down into bullet points. Learning blocks of text is not easy.

When bullet pointing topics use numbers, not just points. It's easier to remember a topic if you think of how many key points you have to remember. Like, when you remember point 1 it leads you to remember point 2 and so on.

Colour coding points is useful, I still do this now for my college notes. I used yellow highlighter for the key points, orange for extra material that could be used, and pink for examples. When you're trying to think of something in an exam it can often work to think of what colour it was, and that should help jog your memory. Before you think that that would be your entire sample answer or whatever highlighted I dont mean like that. Similar to the flashcards key words thing. You would highlight the key word in the key point yellow, which helps you remember the entire point. I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself right here. haha

That's probably the best advice I've ever read! Thank you! :D

• Advertisement

That's probably the best advice I've ever read! Thank you! :D

You're welcome., and good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

Thanks for the advice :) I will actually look into flashcards when the exams are closer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Always do the sample papers without your notes on front of you. When you're done its very clear what you didn't know.
    Then go study that and do the paper again. Repeat until you can comfortably do it all with no notes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Excellent post

• Registered Users Posts: 12 syna7x

I would say keep going back over exam papers again and again until you can basically recite the answers. I did this for chemistry in the weeks leading up to the exam and got an A1 even though I had been getting Cs all year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

What do you think of mind maps?

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    What do you think of mind maps?

Don't really know what they are or how they work at all, sorry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Thanks for the great tips but im just wondering for english and maths...What way did you study them?
    My mocks are only 2 weeks away :( I still haven't touched those subjects.
    And im reallly curious on how many points you got.. :o

RML wrote: »
    Thanks for the great tips but im just wondering for english and maths...What way did you study them?
    My mocks are only 2 weeks away :( I still haven't touched those subjects.
    And im reallly curious on how many points you got.. :o

Those two are tricky to study.

For English I think layout and structure are really important. Don't waste your time learning off sample answers, just have a general guideline for answering Qs. For example, for each poet I studied I learned off an intro and an outro that could always be used. Ending with a quote from the poets life or other work is good for emphasis.
    Don't take paper 1 for granted, comprehensions are worth a lot of marks.
    I hated comparative, so I came up with one good answer that I could work around most situations. The question on the day didnt suit it that well, but I still got 68/70 because of my structure are layout. Link words are everything. Especially for comparative but also for general structure of other answers.
    Unfortunately English for the LC isn't all about creativity and fancy vocab. It's about being extracting as many marks as possible. Have a look at the marking schemes.
    Key Notes English revision book is excellent.

For Maths I think just do question upon question upon question. I did OL so I didn't put much work into it at all. Most thing I focused on was the timing of questions and constructions and theorems of paper 2.
    If you get bogged down on a part, don't spend all your time on it. Limit yourself.
    Also for OL, remember part As and Bs (the easiest parts) are worth the most. So once again if you get stuck on a part C (more difficult part) dont worry, just move on.
    But always attempt to write down something. Attempt marks can be given. And write out any formulas you may use. Some examiners give marks for them.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see this originally .. I got 510 points.
    Oh, and I wouldn't worry about the mocks. I only starteed studying in general a week before my mocks. The idea is that mocks give you a good idea of where your headed for the actual LC, but they dont. Dont get worried about them.

I really appreciate your help alot! :D
    Oh and the next question might seem a bit weird.. But on a daily basis, how long do you do your revision and your hw? I get loads of homework for each subject and at the end of the day, i only have little time to do my proper revsion.. :(

I really appreciate your help alot! :D
    Oh and the next question might seem a bit weird.. But on a daily basis, how long do you do your revision and your hw? I get loads of homework for each subject and at the end of the day, i only have little time to do my proper revsion.. :(

Its no problem at all :)
    I never really had a set time.
    I think the main thing is not to see your homework and revision as two seperate things. Your homework is your revision. If doing biology questions for example, dont copy straight from your notes. Whatever topic your homework question is on, learn that topic then answer the question. Killing two birds with one stone.
    That being said, sometimes teachers give obscene homework that is just irrelevant and useless. I just stopped doing it halfway through the year. What are they gonna do about it? If you're using that extra time to study, and so doing well in their class, there's not much they can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Colinoneill

Quick question... what do you think about doing English essays with your notes beside you? Do you think, by now, i should be doing them without my notes? I'm getting pretty anxious that i need my notes to do essays...:S

Quick question... what do you think about doing English essays with your notes beside you? Do you think, by now, i should be doing them without my notes? I'm getting pretty anxious that i need my notes to do essays...:S

Do you mean all English essays or just the English essay on paper 1?

Do you mean all English essays or just the English essay on paper 1?

I think he meant for all essays.

I think he meant for all essays.

Oh okay.
    It's different for anyone.
    For English I don't think it's any harm to have your notes beside you, as you're not attempting to learn them off ... or shouldn't be anyway.
    I always used my notes beside me when compiling sample answers.
    That way you get the best possible sample answers, and can learn from them then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

That point on being in the same mood doing an exam as you were when studying is actually annoying ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dazzy123

How would you recommend studying for subjects like French and irish? I find studying for subjects like biology easy because what you have to learn is straightforward definitions etc but with languages you could be asked basically anything on a topic in the exam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

dazzy123 wrote: »
    How would you recommend studying for subjects like French and irish? I find studying for subjects like biology easy because what you have to learn is straightforward definitions etc but with languages you could be asked basically anything on a topic in the exam

Learn off general phrases that can be used in any answer, for French anyways. Like you know you'll be able to fit the sentence "Il faut lutter contre ce grand problème avant qu'il ne soit trop tard - It's necessary to fight against this big problem before it is too late". I also found sayings fairly useful, such as this one : "Tout ce qui brille, n'est pas or - Everything that glistens isn't gold" or "Qui va lentement, va sûrement - Slowly, but surely". If you search boards for French advice for leaving cert you'll find great tips and also many sentences/phrases which you can use.

ray2012 wrote: »
    Learn off general phrases that can be used in any answer, for French anyways. Like you know you'll be able to fit the sentence "Il faut lutter contre ce grand problème avant qu'il ne soit trop tard - It's necessary to fight against this big problem before it is too late". I also found sayings fairly useful, such as this one : "Tout ce qui brille, n'est pas or - Everything that glistens isn't gold" or "Qui va lentement, va sûrement - Slowly, but surely". If you search boards for French advice for leaving cert you'll find great tips and also many sentences/phrases which you can use.

Good advice, thanks a mil! :)

dazzy123 wrote: »
    Good advice, thanks a mil! :)
    ray2012 wrote: »

Yes, I agree with this!
    Subjects like Irish, English and French are all about structure, layout and general phrases.

For the french 'essays' I learned a few phrases that could always be used at the start and ending of an answer, along with a few french sayings and leading words, such as 'aussi' and what not. Then, for the few specific topics I did study beforehand, which wasn't many because I was confident in the structure I had learnt, I learnt off some facts and statistics.

For Irish it is much the same, even more so. I honestly didn't learn off one essay before my exam. Again, know general, interchangable phrases that you can use throughout your essay, with some seanfhocails and nathanna cainte too. Again one or two specific facts or figures on a few topics wouldn't go astray either.

For English this technique is also useful. For example, for each poet I studied I had an opening paragraph and a closing paragraph that I would use no matter what question came up. The opening paragraph usually introduced my thoughts some background on the poet, my thoughts on the poet and stated the poems I would be discussing. The closing paragraph should be seen as a reflection of the opening paragraph, summing up what you had said you would discuss. I also found a memorable quote from each of my poets and ended each answer with that, for impact.

Hope this helps, it's been a while now since I've had to even think about the Leaving Cert. :)

Yes, I agree with this!
    Subjects like Irish, English and French are all about structure, layout and general phrases.

For the french 'essays' I learned a few phrases that could always be used at the start and ending of an answer, along with a few french sayings and leading words, such as 'aussi' and what not. Then, for the few specific topics I did study beforehand, which wasn't many because I was confident in the structure I had learnt, I learnt off some facts and statistics.

For Irish it is much the same, even more so. I honestly didn't learn off one essay before my exam. Again, know general, interchangable phrases that you can use throughout your essay, with some seanfhocails and nathanna cainte too. Again one or two specific facts or figures on a few topics wouldn't go astray either.

For English this technique is also useful. For example, for each poet I studied I had an opening paragraph and a closing paragraph that I would use no matter what question came up. The opening paragraph usually introduced my thoughts some background on the poet, my thoughts on the poet and stated the poems I would be discussing. The closing paragraph should be seen as a reflection of the opening paragraph, summing up what you had said you would discuss. I also found a memorable quote from each of my poets and ended each answer with that, for impact.

Hope this helps, it's been a while now since I've had to even think about the Leaving Cert. :)

Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mizzstefan

how many subjects would you study a night after school and for how long on each , or how much would you advise for me as i do eight subjects and im starting 6th yr in few weeks.

Mizzstefan wrote: »
    how many subjects would you study a night after school and for how long on each , or how much would you advise for me as i do eight subjects and im starting 6th yr in few weeks.

It varies.
    Like I said, I didn't exactly have a timetable of what I was going to study each day. I more had a rough idea in my head.
    For me personally, I preferred to spend longer on fewer topics, but other people prefer the opposite. I wouldn't advise doing more than 4 subjects a night anyway, I usually did 2.
    Also remember, your homework is your study.
    So, if you have biology homework and french homework due for the next day, study those.
    I did 9 subjects and this is what worked best for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mizzstefan

thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

I found a few tips that helped me so much throughout 6th year:

1. Keep on top of your homework. I understand you get an obscene amount at certain stages throughout the year, but by doing the homework as soon as you get it, you can keep on top of it and avoid having too much work due the next day. Also, certain teachers will pile on the workload and you need to accept that your study is slightly more important than the work (especially around the mocks/orals). Don't be afraid to tell a teacher that you need an extra day or so to complete the work! (Don't do this too often though).

2. Each night, I struggled to balance homework and study. I used to do 2 hours of homework followed by 2 hours of study. But, by the time the homework was done, my brain couldn't cope with more information from studying. If you have a similar problem, I found the best option was to switch it up. I studied for two hours first and then did my homework. Where possible, I studied the relevant information for the homework I had that night, which killed two birds with one stone.

3. In a science/business subject, I highly recommend continuous learning! By that I mean learning what you did in class that day every evening. For example, in Biology we had to know what we did in class one day for the next day. Then we had a test on one or two of the things we had to learn to see if we were keeping up with the workload. With this study method, I have never gotten anything less than an A1. It can be a little stressful at times, but it really helps around the mocks and the leaving when you wont feel the need to cram 2 years of work because you already know it.

4. Exam papers are crucial from January onwards. After the mocks, you should aim to complete exam paper questions without using your notes, if you can. Don't worry if you can't do it straight away, but aim to be able to do it before the orals. As my teachers kept pointing out to my year group, you won't have your notes in an exam, so why use them too often at home?

5. For languages, the best thing to do is to learn key phrases, work on your oral and know the basics. Verbs and conjugating them were the biggest problems for some people in my year, and they are the basic foundation of your language. Make sure that you fully understand verbs and can conjugate them in multiple tenses correctly as this will ensure that you don't lose marks for incorrect grammar. Learn the sraith pictiur! I cannot emphasise that enough. Make sure that you know all of them by after Christmas, because they can cause unnecessary stress around orals time if you don't!

6. I used to struggle with English. I found it difficult and boring, mainly because I never understood what the examiner was looking for. If anyone is in a similar situation, I highly recommend reading as many books as you can for the rest of the summer. This will give you inspiration for your paper one essay as well as subconsciously teach you grammar and help to vary your language. During the year, try to do extra work and get your teacher to correct it. If you find poetry hard, do an essay on a poet. Same for your single text and comparative. I found that English is all about practice, and with some hard work it can be easier for you.

7. In maths, get the exam papers as soon as they come out and do as many questions as you can throughout the year. Each publishing company makes their own sample papers, which all have a different style of question. My teacher encouraged us to get two different papers, one from edco and the other from educate.ie. We were able to see the difference in the question style and it helped us to adapt to different questions. The main problem with project maths is that the exam paper tends to be quite different to the papers you buy during the year in terms of the style of question. By using different publishers' papers, I was used to adapting to different styles of question, so the paper wasn't a shock for me. Regarding maths, my teacher gave me some advice that really helped me through the paper: When you open the paper, expect it to be difficult. Don't assume that you will understand everything immediately, because you won't. If you don't understand a question or your method isn't working, move on to another question, but keep that previous question in the back of your head. Take your time and read the question carefully. (I know the last part is cliche, but take it seriously, it actually does help).

Sorry for this being so long, but I hope it helps!:)

Advertisement