Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is "Anonymous" right to expose possible small-minded sick town culture?

• 04-01-2013 7:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Short version:

* Definite unconscious girl. Possible put that way by drugs.
    * Gets raped (and possibly urinated on) by small town local boys involved in sports.
    * Possible cover up by local officials, also town people to protect the boys on the team.
    * Anonymous steps in and exposes the whole situation and not just about the rape itself - but the (sick?) mentality behind certain aspects.

Now, regardless of their previous actions and how one might feel about them previously - in this case - were they right to expose a possible culture of town cover-up?

I say a definite "Yes"

===============================================

Long version:
    On August 27, 2012 two members of the Big Red High School football team in Steubenville, Ohio – USA were arrested and charged with the rape and kidnapping of an out of town 16 year old girl that took place on August 11th.

At the time of this gang rape, the girl was intoxicated and unconscious. The victim had been intentionally drugged with a “date rape” intoxicant. She was photographed and video was taken of her in this condition, and there is evidence that she was hauled in a comatose state to multiple parties – and almost certainly raped by more members of the local high school football team than just the two players who currently stand charged. There is even evidence that she was urinated upon during this hideous assault.

Despite all this, it looked as though a town rife with corruption, cronyism, illegal gambling and fixated upon their star high school football team (a major economic revenue engine) were prepared to orchestrate a major cover-up in order to sweep the entire affair under the rug. As this disclosure will document, this cover-up was perpetrated by people in the high school administration, local government and law enforcement.

– Enter Anonymous –

On December 23, 2012 a cell within Anonymous called “Knight Sec” took up the cause of giving a voice to the victim of this horrible crime, and began unraveling this conspiracy of silence designed to protect a group of these high school football players who had become well known to their fellow students as “The Rape Crew”. Fueled by intelligence they had received from many students at Big Red High School, they launched Operation RollRedRoll

The article continues at GREAT length HERE

WARNING: There is some possible adult detail in the above link - no visual graphic details can be seen but there is some stuff that is certainly adult/mature eyes reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Yes. IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Abso-fuccking-lutely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Categorically yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

i think i saw this film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yes,a million times yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm not a fan of mob justice, but on the other hand, I grew up between two small towns, and it's terrifying how easy it is for terrible things to be swept under the carpet indefinitely to protect the local lads. I have mixed feelings on this concept in general, tbh - but I'd find it hard to generate even the slightest semblance of sympathy for the boys involved in this case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The Mail version of the terrible events: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256920/Hacker-group-Anonymous-outing-people-involved-cover-horrific-rape-case-star-high-school-football-players-assaulted-unconscious-teenage-girl.html
    The case, which was publicized nationally by an explosive New York Times story, has split the small town of Steubenville into two sides- those who are devout fans of the football team who have chosen to support the two players, saying that the incident is the girl's fault for getting that drunk

The above in bold gets my blood boiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Exposing a gang rape ? Of course !

WARNING: There is some possible adult detail in the above link - no visual graphic details can be seen but there is some stuff that is certainly adult/mature eyes reading

subscribes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Of course they're right to expose the truth.
    The only problem is have is if they named the rapists or the victim without letting an investigation run its course. I'd hate for them to wrongly name someone in this situation.

• Advertisement

Dean09 wrote: »
    Of course they're right to expose the truth.
    The only problem is have is if they named the rapists or the victim without letting an investigation run its course. I'd hate for them to wrongly name someone in this situation.

The rapists have been arrested and already named previously apparently.
    Anon went further and supposedly exposed part of the towns attitude to cover it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Internet nerds bitch-slapping high school jocks for being scum? The revolution has begun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Anonymous often gets a bad rap, but every now and then they go and do something wonderful like this. Frankly, I wish they did it more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Biggins wrote: »

Anon went further and supposedly exposed part of the towns attitude to cover it up.

Well they're dead right for exposing the cover-up.
    The part I don't agree with is naming the alleged rapists. I don't think an alleged rapist or paedophile etc should ever be named until such a time when they are found guilty.
    If someone was wrongly accused and cleared of all charges it would still ruin their life. They'll always be known as a rapist. And people will always believe there's no smoke without fire.
    If however they're found guilty, then by all means name and shame the bastards.

Some of the words said by one boy who recorded himself during the rape is simply shocking.
    I'm not going to post his words here but they can be found at the above links.

...Simply shocking.

TO BE CLEAR:
    Anon' was exposing the further attempts by some in the town, to cover up the event and who also was involved supposedly.
    They even include email evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Trial by Internet.

LiamMc wrote: »
    Trial by Internet.

It seems the raped girl was getting a local unofficial trial too judging by the disgusting words of people in her own home town.

Ye reap what ye sow!

Trial by Internet.

If the accusations are true which they appear to be then I don't care where the trial is, especially when some of those who should be upholding justice in that town are trying to cover this crap up.

All these fcukers need to be burned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

After watching tallafornia last week I thought I could not be shocked or horrified any more
    I was wrong
    Ffs what do these boys lack in life that they think it is ok to abuse some one for their sick pleasure . And to watch others violate her too
    Any efforts to punish those who commit such crimes is of course right ( as long as within the law etc)
    I can't imagine how what those boys parents are feeling
    Of course the victim Deserves the most thought. I hope she recovers as well as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Short version:

* Definite unconscious girl. Possible put that way by drugs.
    * Gets raped (and possibly urinated on) by small town local boys involved in sports.
    * Possible cover up by local officials, also town people to protect the boys on the team.
    * Anonymous steps in and exposes the whole situation and not just about the rape itself - but the (sick?) mentality behind certain aspects.

Now, regardless of their previous actions and how one might feel about them previously - in this case - were they right to expose a possible culture of town cover-up?

I say a definite "Yes"

===============================================

Long version:

The article continues at GREAT length HERE

WARNING: There is some possible adult detail in the above link - no visual graphic details can be seen but there is some stuff that is certainly adult/mature eyes reading.

I definitley concur. No question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Some of those involved in the alleged rape have already admitted to it. There's definitely something dodgy about the whole thing. Still don't think that Anon should do these things so publicly though. If they can build a case or help the investigation then they should share what they know directly with members of law enforcement agencies which they personally trust rather than hoping it goes viral. Mob justice is no justice at all, regardless of whether or not that mob are behind computer screens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

My opinion on Anonymous is this:

Hacking Sony/credit cards is a no no.

however, with their helping people during Hurricane Sandy, attempting to help people in Israel, and reporting things on their Twitter account which no one else reports (this is genuinely true), I do have respect for them.

And in this case, they definitely did the right thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Froyo

It's OK to be against mob justice, but I don't think you can say acts outside the law which may fall upon those involved in such crimes when damning evidence is present, is never warranted.

Imagine being this girls father or mother only to have other mothers and fathers cover up such a crime? They must feel so betrayed as well as everything else.

I hope everyone involved gets what's coming to them, within the law and/or outside of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

however, with their helping people during Hurricane Sandy, attempting to help people in Israel, and reporting things on their Twitter account which no one else reports (this is genuinely true), I do have respect for them.

This is the biggest misconception about Anonymous, and in fairness it is propagated by the media every single time something happens with Anonymous.

Anonymous isn't a single, official autonomous group. It's a name that anyone can go under when they want to. This is why the things that "they" do are so varied. Because it's not the same people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

This is sickening, I read Friday night lights and while the kids in that are fairly messed up with the pedestal the town puts them on and the pressures too, it doesn't come at all close to this.

They are right to expose this crime if nobody else will do a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

The above in bold gets my blood boiling.
    Plenty thinking like that on this very website unfortunately.

Something like this though there really would need to be unequivocal proof they've the right people.

Some of those involved in the alleged rape have already admitted to it. There's definitely something dodgy about the whole thing. Still don't think that Anon should do these things so publicly though. If they can build a case or help the investigation then they should share what they know directly with members of law enforcement agencies which they personally trust rather than hoping it goes viral. Mob justice is no justice at all, regardless of whether or not that mob are behind computer screens.

I hear what your saying but it apparently was a local bunch of people under the banner of "Anonymous" that went further because the legal authorises in the small town were apparently part and parcel of the silence attempts - including people at the sheriff's office.

I could be wrong but I think in THIS case, Anonymous felt (given the material they had took time to gather - you will find some of it on the above links to download) that the authorities there could not be trusted - thus the exposure was made of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

To save me reading lots. What did they expose exactly? Information from where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Madam_X wrote: »
    Plenty thinking like that on this very website unfortunately.

Have you examples?

• Advertisement

They showed Sony that there was a huge flaw in their system, which they subsequently fixed. If they had checked their system better, Anon wouldn't have needed to.

If it didn't go public, then a lot of this would have never seen the light of day. Sure, two people would still be sent to trial, but what of the people that tried to cover it up? If Anon didn't step in, then they would have all gotten away with it scot-free. At least now there's a chance that they'll be investigated.

While I think the likes of the war on Scientology was just a fools-errand (that didn't achieve anything), this is where Anon really proves themselves as a potential "force for good".

To save me reading lots. What did they expose exactly? Information from where?

They collected a lot of emails and phone material which exposed it seems, attempts by local people/officials, to keep the matter quiet at first and the culprits out of the courts if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

To be honest I wouldn't even go into the detailed analysis of the town culture etc that was exposed, on a much more basic level Anon has just provided evidence that these people admitted to their vile attack, on camera, with their faces and voices identifiable to anyone who knows them.
    Given that the issue of consent obviously makes it very hard to establish whether a rape was actually a rape, these guys have pretty much sealed their own convictions by going into such detail on camera, and if the court still won't convict them, they'll go through absolute hell on a personal level from their friends etc.

As I've said before on this subject. Expositions like this wouldn't be necessary if people had any confidence in the legal system to get the job done. It's exactly like when they tried to out the cyberbully who drove some poor girl to suicide - people wouldn't feel the need to resort to vigilantism if they felt the legal system would adequately deal with scumbags.

Being honest, if someone assaulted me in Dublin I'd much rather put up a video of it on YouTube and utterly ruin my assailants' reputations, rather than taking them to court where they would get a "suspended sentence" (IE, walk away scott free).

Vigilantism isn't a good thing, but it has a root cause. That cause is the fact that the justice system is SO out of touch with reality and with the times we live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Depending on what info they exposed (I think it was a video of some of boys joking about the rape), I'm pretty okay with what they did.
    I normally dislike mob justice but I honestly can't find a reason to be against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Have you examples?
    Yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Mob justice is no justice at all, regardless of whether or not that mob are behind computer screens.

"Mob justice is better than no justice at all" is a better statement in my view - in Ireland anyway, most criminals get suspended sentences these days, like the girl who glassed a barman a few weeks back so viciously that he needed surgery and had permanent scarring, or like the scumbag who stole my iPhone (I found a news article about him in the Herald, drug addict, stole hundreds of iPhones and got a suspended sentence. Clearly the same guy since the article was about someone who lived in an apartment on Middle Gardiner Street which is exactly where I tracked my iPhone to using "find my iphone", at which point of course the Gardai told me there was little to nothing they could to).

As I say... Fix the justice system and there'll be no need for vigilantism. Vigilantism only springs up to fill a void, when the general public perceive that the authorities who are supposed to protect them and punish their attackers have utterly failed to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

It seems the raped girl was getting a local unofficial trial too judging by the disgusting words of people in her own home town.

Ye reap what ye sow!

You need to re-read the links you posted.
    I'm not shocked you are telling untruths.
    I'm not shocked you are micro-policing the Thread.

I'm not shocked that you're not shocked.

Just one section of the site already linked above
    Ever since we launched LocalLeaks in June of 2011, we have received hundreds of leaks. Many of our disclosures have caused us to pause with grief for the victims of corruption or wrong-doing. But nothing has so completely moved the staff of LocalLeaks with such heart-break as this disclosure has.

When we were presented with the copious body of material that is the source for this disclosure, all the LocalLeaks volunteers began working around the clock to organize, analyze, fact-check, verify – and prepare this disclosure for release.

First and foremost, our heart and condolences go out to the young lady who was the victim of this brutal and brazen attack, and to her family. We pray that this disclosure can bring them some comfort, and that by bringing a measure of transparency to Steubenville, Ohio perhaps also some REAL justice to the victim of this horrible crime.

...Finally, we KNOW from the evidence that there are not only more attackers in this “Rape Crew” out there that need to be apprehended and brought to justice, but we are absolutely certain there are more victims as well. We know of at least three other girls who were drugged and gang raped by “The Rape Crew” last year

Simply shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Yes absolutely. Don't see it as trial by internet or mob justice, they exposed the truth by cathering evidence and releasing to a public forum so real justice could be done.

Anonymous are like a cyber A-team.

Untruths?
    Micro-policing?

The "Report" button is attached to every post if there is something wrong.
    I urge you to use it please.

The comments by some people in the town seems to be giving the girl a bad name - even saying that it was all her fault.
    It appears those same people were willing to judge her locally (at a much worse level for any victim) and slander her name - but your giving out about others exposing a possible culture of small town corruption?

Your words shows (maybe wrongly) where your priorities lie.

• Advertisement

If it didn't go public, then a lot of this would have never seen the light of day. Sure, two people would still be sent to trial, but what of the people that tried to cover it up? If Anon didn't step in, then they would have all gotten away with it scot-free. At least now there's a chance that they'll be investigated.

While I think the likes of the war on Scientology was just a fools-errand (that didn't achieve anything), this is where Anon really proves themselves as a potential "force for good".

They (the individuals involved) can be a force for good without all the cloak and dagger stuff & anarchist image they try so hard to live up to. And tbh, as long as they identify themselves as a part of "Anon" (whatever that is) then they won't be viewed as a force for good by those with the actual power to enforce the law and hand out justice. Members of "Anon" are wanted by police forces all over the world for their own criminal activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Have you examples?

Madam_X wrote: »

Yet another example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Just one section of the site already linked above

Simply shocking.

the actions of Anonymous here have been excellent! it seems that this story has already been picked up by major news outlets all over.hopefully the scumbag in this case will get a good dose of reality from all this exposure and it'll ruin their lives.This in turn will make other would-be scumbags reconsider carrying out any such actions.Very sad for the girl involved but at least she doesn't have to suffer the dirty smirks of the scumbags involved alone in silence-the whole world now knows what they are like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I hear what your saying but it apparently was a local bunch of people under the banner of "Anonymous" that went further because the legal authorises in the small town were apparently part and parcel of the silence attempts - including people at the sheriff's office.

I could be wrong but I think in THIS case, Anonymous felt (given the material they had took time to gather - you will find some of it on the above links to download) that the authorities there could not be trusted - thus the exposure was made of them.

That's it, it says in the files that the mother of one of the boys involved (her house was one of the scenes of the assault) was a local prosecutor and she bullied the family of the victim into dropping the case when they showed up in her office.

Lots of other connections like this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Lisha wrote: »
    After watching tallafornia last week I thought I could not be shocked or horrified any more
    I was wrong
    Ffs what do these boys lack in life that they think it is ok to abuse some one for their sick pleasure . And to watch others violate her too
    Any efforts to punish those who commit such crimes is of course right ( as long as within the law etc)
    I can't imagine how what those boys parents are feeling
    Of course the victim Deserves the most thought. I hope she recovers as well as possible

They basically did what was done to that Indian girl on the bus, just spared her the rod and posted about her on the internet instead.

Reading some of the details just about the investigating Sheriff and how some evidence went missing/deleted is depressing reading indeed.
    I suspect that sooner or later the very Sheriff's department might be under investigation given the huge publicity the matter has now received.

Anon' gave until January first, those involved to help out or come forward.
    Its appears such people didn't so they then exposed the more hidden aspects of the raped girl case.

Its horrible to think that there is more suffering victims out there.

Well if people are held to account due to the help of whoever it is, then all's good I suppose. I still wouldn't condone it as a form of justice though, or hope to see the likes of it become more common in future. Innocent people will undoubtedly get hurt if faceless and unknown people are seen to be considered as judge, jury & executioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

mhge wrote: »
    They basically did what was done to that Indian girl on the bus, just spared her the rod and posted about her on the internet instead.

Exactly. They deserve all the attention, if not more, that the case in India received.

It's sick to think that sociopaths such as these are covered for in society today and for what? Money? Each person mentioned in that link should be charged for something because they way I see it every single one of them is involved in some way. You'd think that the parents or even the goddamn sheriff would step in, see something is wrong and do something about it without thinking about themselves.

The worst one is the lawyer parent like what type of a person is that? Her son is involved in something that sickening and she not only helps to cover it up and keep her precious son out of jail but threatens the parents of the victim and warns them not to follow up on any action etc. that she'll "drag them through the mud"? She should have any power/authority she has revoked.

Watching that video of the guy beaming with pride about how the girl was dead, deader than anything is completely and utterly disgusting. He goes on for 12 whole minutes with no remorse, no empathy for the girl and it seems that he's in some way proud of it. If he isn't locked up, which is most definitely should be, there is something truly wrong with the world we live in. Admitting all that in a 12 minute video is simply sick but hey, if the town can make a bit of money and the only consequence is a girl getting drugged, gang raped and then urinated on, who cares?

Scum, the lot of them. The "Rape Gang", the lawyer parent, the coach, the sheriff and anyone else involved. Makes me sick and I HOPE they all get what they most certainly deserve. If the internet is good for anything it's that things like this can spread and scum can be exposed for what they really are. It seems like it might just do too considering there has already an "Occupy Steubenville" Rally and more of them to come. Plus the story has already been picked up by CNN and The Huffington Post.

If Anon are good for anything, it's this. I sincerely hope each and everyone involved in this sick case are show for what they really are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Jesus H Christ, that is terrible, Its the stuff that you would imagine would be in a novel, The whole town basically covering up the gangrape and protecting the fukkin football team and telling the girl its here fault for being drunk when she was givin a date rape drug. Honestly this is just a westernized version of what went on in india minus the iron bar and the beatings. It just goes to show again that people are arseholes, when there is money at stake, people will protect the money rather than acknowledge the awful truth and expose the animals for what they are and shame their whole hometown. Yes i agree wholeheartedly that anon did the right thing here and show up the town for what it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The Honorable Jane Hanlin is a Prosecuting Attorney for Jefferson County and the mother of Big Red football player Charlie Keenan, who is suspected of being a member of “The Rape Crew”.

When the family of the victim went to file the charges, Jane Hanlin was present. She strongly discouraged them from filing. Hanlin frightened not only the victim, but the parents as well.

localleaks.blogs.ru

If this turns out to be true this nasty maggot needs to go to jail. If the justice system starts failing people and protecting the privileged then it's time for people to start doing shit like this and exposing small-town perversion.

I know if that was my daughter I'd be off to the gun store (if justice didn't prevail).

• Advertisement
Advertisement