Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dungarvan to Kilkenny

Options
  • 04-01-2013 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Main road and motorway past Waterford city

or

Turn at lemybrien

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

If Kilkenny city turn at Lemybrien ,

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Really? I was pretty sure the motorway would have been the best way to go.

Glad i decided to test it out with peoples opinion.

Google maps has the motorway route as 10km longer. Surely with the extra speed you can do and less wear and tear to the car this would make more sense?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Lemybrien, if no frost/fog/tractors/tourists ie-if you have a crystal ball to see the road ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

From Lemybrien to Carrick it's fairly straight with loads of overtaking opportunities. From there through Kilmaganney up is straightforward enough.
    It would depend on the time of day. Nighttime or bad conditions I would go Motorway.

• Advertisement

Lemybrien, if no frost/fog/tractors/tourists.

Ok what are the reasons we pick Lemybrien so.

I mean google says the motorway is longer but less time. Time is a key issue for me. I dont really care about saving 10km fuel.

I will probably be doing 80-90 mph on a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Motorway all day long but bear in mind the toll on the Waterford bypass before the m9. Small price to pay though in my book. Road via carrick on suir is reasonable and a little shorter distance wise but the other route is infinitely safer and more pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

waterford city bypass and motorway..ALL THE TIME.....Dont even consider going through Carrick...

Im more inclined to agree with the motorway people. I was a bit surprised when the first few said Carrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Motorway for me defo, and I imagine the fuel consumption would be the same if not less on the motorway if you dont dog it.

• Advertisement

From Discount fuels near Youghal (Kinsalebeg) to bennetsbridge in KK. 1 hour and 10 minutes.

I cant see how there is a hope in hell that you would beat that turning at Lemybrien. Traffic was even heavyish at point on the N25 and fog around Grange. Im pretty sure if you got a good run you would do it in a hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Motorway every time. If you get caught behind something on the Carrick road you're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

1 hour and ten from Clonea, doing left at Lemybrien through Carrick but go for the main Clonmel road, past Ballypatrick. We do not exceed any speed limit, even though the road from lemybrien to Carrick is an 80km limit, lovely views.
    But having said that most say motorway

1 hour and ten from Clonea, doing left at Lemybrien through Carrick but go for the main Clonmel road, past Ballypatrick. We do not exceed any speed limit, even though the road from lemybrien to Carrick is an 80km limit, lovely views.
    But having said that most say motorway

There is a serious difference between 1-10 from Clonea and Youghal. It would suggest the motorway is a must do assuming quickness is what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Biggies

If you don't mind paying tolls, go with the motorway. I do mind, so I always go through Carrick. Between Lemybrien to just before Carrick you can go 90-100kms/h no problem, and I've never seen speed vans there.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Biggies wrote: »
    If you don't mind paying tolls, go with the motorway. I do mind, so I always go through Carrick. Between Lemybrien to just before Carrick you can go 90-100kms/h no problem, and I've never seen speed vans there.

are you mad? 90-100 on the carrick road!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Itchianus

Biggies wrote: »

That's what I'd call a false economy, you're driving a winding road having to accelerate and decelerate for corners, and running the risk of getting stuck behind a tractor or some yokel in his Bora with a bale hanging out the boot, drving 20mph as he straddles the median.

And yeah might be able to drive 90-100km/h on stretches of the road, but allowing for the occasional Bora driver, and the fact that I presume you'll slow down for bends, and when getting across Carrick, you haven't a hope of averaging anywhere near that speed.

Whereas if you drive the other route, you should easily be able to average 90-100km/h on the N25, and then 120km/h (or whatever speed you fancy) on the motorway.

It's a complete no-brainer, it's faster and no more expensive, particularly when you factor in reduced wear & tear from driving on better quality road surface if it's a regular trip. Can't believe this thread is still going TBH!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

man you do not appreciate the resolve of poster's, I can drive from lemybrien at 80km's and really do not need to use the brakes, unless someone is dogging it slow, but having said that most people pass me as if I was standing still, it can be a fast road, Carrick is a bit poxy, nip under the arch can save a fair bit, but the road through ballypatrick is naff until you get to the clonmel road.
    Hav e seen a spot check on speed going the other way, but the views are spectacular.

Advertisement