Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bachelor of Science in Computing in Information Technology - Addon Year 3

Options
  • 04-01-2013 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some feedback on the third year of this course BN302

I finished the two year higher certification course BN002 in may 2011 and now i am looking to at least go back for another year to get my degree. In my time since leaving however i have been working in an unrelated field and a lot of what i have learned over the two years has faded a little. So i am just wondering is there anything i can work on and study now before September in my spare time that will be in some of the modules?

Also the group project is probably my main worry, is is based on the past 2 years modules or the current modules in the third year? I don't really want to be a burden in a group as the previous years modules wont be as fresh in my mind as it is to others. What kind of projects and scale have yous seen yourself for those of you that have recently done this year?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭donfarrell

Well the modules are more extentions of the previous years so just look over the stuff from sencond year and you should be fine.

As far as the group project goes, it can be on whatever you and your group decide to do. I'm sure its not ideal to walk into a class and know noone and then having to be "that guy" that has to be assigned to a group, but find a friendly group and just try and do what you can even if its the research or write ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

The group module can be anything. You get a list of suggested projects from the various supervisors and if none of them grab you you can implement your own idea.

Only the programming from the previous 2 years are relevent so id suggest getting your notes out and making yourself familier with them as the 3rd year moves at lightening pace. You have projects from your other subjects coming at you all the time . Im doing the 3rd year now and you dont have much time at weekends with the workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

cheers for the feedback lads.

yeah im already looking over all my notes from the previous two years, currently studying for the ccna and should be hopefully taking that around march/april so thats the networking modules taken care of. Ill hopefully then get back into java and web development from then till september. Hopefully that will be enough to bring me back up to scratch for the year 3 modules and especially the project.

On the project you say you get a couple of ideas, would these be from the likes of the practical lab lecturers? am i right in saying that the project is all to do with what youve learned in java during the two years? or is there projects that you can do that dont include any programming at all like what youve learned in modules such as networking/web dev etc?

To get a rough idea of the scale of the project would yous be able to give me an example of what yous might be asked to do for this project? (anything like software engineering and testing module?)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

In a short answer yes. The course head gives you have give you a 5 page list that has suggestions from the lecturers that are going to be doing the mentoring on the group projects.

They can be on anything from network intrusion to reprogramming something like lego mindstrom but web devlopment isnt encouraged as they say its not difficult enough.You dont have to program in Java it's up to you. You can do it in whatever language you want.

stevekavo wrote: »
    In a short answer yes. The course head gives you have give you a 5 page list that has suggestions from the lecturers that are going to be doing the mentoring on the group projects.

They can be on anything from network intrusion to reprogramming something like lego mindstrom but web devlopment isnt encouraged as they say its not difficult enough.You dont have to program in Java it's up to you. You can do it in whatever language you want.
    You will get more marks for you project if you use a technology which the college hasn't thought you.

Also, saying "web development" as a whole is not difficult enough is a inaccurate statement. Doing a project in something like JEE would be suitable for a third year project.

I know of a group last year that done a website and got a B (with only the documentation letting them down. Documentation is very important! Don't forget about it!).

Also, just a side note, a fourth year project is basically as difficult as a third year, except you do it yourself ;)

• Advertisement

Ah cool so you get plenty of ideas that will make things a little easier seeing the scale of the things they want dont want to be doing something to basic.

Ah I wasnt aware you could base it on something youve learned yourself and you get more marks for it and everything!

Yeah the reason I mentioned web development is because im thinking about maybe getting into that field after i do the year so im going to be doing alot of self study in my own time on all the technologys used such as javascript/ajax/jquery/xml etc as well as continue on with php any maybe try learn another scripting language such as ruby or python and use that instead to get some extra marks.

Would web apps like fully made fictional e-commerce stores with front and backends be considered to basic as a project for example?

and thanks for letting us know about the year 4 project i thought it had to be bigger but least now i know its the same just solo :) I did the software engineering and testing group project in year two solo as well so im well able for the workload. Seen as ill be new in the year and wont really know any one im just going to prepare myself for the chance ill be doing this one solo as well so just wanted to get a fair idea of whats required for it.

thanks again

I don't know about the e-commerce website. If you do it in something like JEE then it may be acceptable. But in PHP, I doubt it would be acceptable.

You will not be given the choice of doing the project solo. If you cannot find a group, you will be assigned a group and supervisor/project. It has to be a group project ;)

Try to do something you'll enjoy or else your research and documentation will be incredibly boring to do.

Ah ok I see maybe ill have to do something more java software related then.

Oh you cant actually do it solo ah right then i suppose ill just have to be assigned to a group. What kind of group size is recommended? 3-4?

Yeah I was hoping to be able to do something web dev related or even networking both fields that im interested in but have a feeling alot of the projects are going to be software(java) based. Ill just have to push through with what ever the group im assigned to is doing. In the meantime ill seriously have to read back up and revise everything java related i did in the two years i was there seen as it will play such a big part in the year.

It is generally 3 per group, however, you can have 4 in a group but it's rare and that group project would have to be more advanced and consist of more work than an average third year project since they have an extra person ;)

Advertisement