Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging a battery

• 04-01-2013 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Not really a question about gadgets as such, but someone might be able to offer advice.

If you charge up a battery in a device , in this case a mobile wifi dongle I bought off Three, but forget to unplug the charger , are you likely to damage the battery? A couple of times i left it charging , but forgot all about it then and it was plugged in for about 24 hours :o

Is this likely to damage the battery, or cause any long term issues?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You're unlikely to have damaged the battery though as you haven't mentioned the battery technology, it's impossible to give a definitive answer.

My Braun electric toothbrush owner's manual specifically says that overcharging 'is not possible' whic I interpret as meaning that you can't damage it by leaving it on charge for too long, the battery is Ni-Mh. I've never seen any mention of possible damage to Li-Ion or Li-polymer batteries if they're left on charge for a long period, one of those is probably the battery technology in your dongle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gadget.Repair

Not really a question about gadgets as such, but someone might be able to offer advice.

If you charge up a battery in a device , in this case a mobile wifi dongle I bought off Three, but forget to unplug the charger , are you likely to damage the battery? A couple of times i left it charging , but forgot all about it then and it was plugged in for about 24 hours :o

Thanks

Thanks

It really depends on device. If its cheap then dont overcharge.

In your case I'd remove battery and leave plugged in all the time if its just for home use.
    With laptops I have found that's users who use laptop on charge all the time ruin there battery as the laptop runs on the battery. As soon as the charge is used from battery it is recharged and the battery loses it memory and over time doesn't last as long. Also all rechargeable battery have a set amount of charges

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭lucretiaborgia

Thanks for the replies and advice.

The device is the 3 mifi lite wifi device , also known as Huawei E5331. When I open the back and look at the battery, it says LI polymer. I tried the suggestion of leaving the battery out and plugging in, but does not seem to work if you do that. All the lights just keep flashing and can't connect.

Anyway, I'll just try to remember to unplug when fully charged :o

Advertisement