Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student looking for advice from Canada

Options
  • 04-01-2013 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Loking for some advice. I am currently living in Canada, have been here since September 2010. My visa is due to expire October of this year, so I am strongly considering going to college as a mature student.

My first question is, as it is January, am I a bit too late in the day to start this process? Having read other posts on here, it seems people begin this months in advance.

Secondly, as I am still away, it might make it a little awkward if I did happen to get called for an interview, as I am still abroad, is it posible to do something like this over the phone?

The course I would like to take is veterinary nursing, I dont have a great leaving cert, but am i right in saying your LC isn't considered when applying as a mature student? Also I have read on the UCD website that you need letters of reference, the only animal experience I have is working on a farm in Canada. Would this be sufficient?

If anyone has any info I would really appreciate it. I am planning to contact the colleges directly too but would like to have some basis before I speak with them.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amber23

can anyone help with this..?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

amber23 wrote: »
    can anyone help with this..?

Look at the information on the CAO website - can you pull all the required information together in time. I am not familiar with that course, but the application process through the CAO is similar for all. You have to send in hard copies of some certificates and letters by post to arrive within 1 week of February 1st the closing date.

Maybe contact the UCD mature student officer and ask them some of these questions - details would be available on the UCD website. I have read of phone interviews, but most courses do want you to attend in person afaik.

The LC is still taken into account, but they also take into account your work experience, voluntary experience, etc.

It asks for letters of reference, so from where you are working that would be one. Is there a vet out there that you have dealings with who could write one also?

You might want to check your residence eligibility, I think you have to have lived in Ireland for 3 of the past 5 years to be entitled to Irish residency (regardless of citizenship). But someone else may know more on this. You could always apply to do an access course in one of the universities and UCD will view any of these positively when applying subsequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

The complete entry requirements for Mature applicants to all UCD courses is available in their Mature student guide. You can access it here: http://www.ucd.ie/registry/admissions/UCD%20Mature%20Students%202012%2023102012.pdf
    Vet nursing info is on page 33.

UCD also have a personal statement template for all their courses. This is available here: https://myucd.ucd.ie/admission/mature.ezc#pst

You do need 2 letters of recommendation, including at least one, if possible, from a vet surgeon. You also need at least one years work experience with animals. Most of the Matures who apply would have this or may have more relevant experience than farm work. However the best thing to do would be to contact the mature student office or the Vet Science center and they can give you the best advice as to the relevance of your experience, etc.

Further information can be obtained from the Vet School in UCD
    Further information is available from:
    MVB & Veterinary Nursing Programme Office
    Veterinary Sciences Centre
    UCD, Belfield
    Dublin 4
    Tel: + 353-1-716 6100
    Email: vetprogrammes@ucd.ie

Also you can contact Mature student application support either by email mature.students@ucd.ie or through a dedicated Mature student helpline: 00353 (1) 716 1536 during the following hours:
    Monday 9pm – 12.30pm & 2pm - 4pm
    Tuesday 10.30am – 12.30pm & 2pm – 4pm
    Wednesday 9am – 11.30am
    Thursday(Jan - Apr 2013) Please contact UCD Admissions: 01 716 1608
    Friday 9am – 12.30pm

You could be up against it time wise trying to get this info together by the closing date of Feb 1st. As far as I can see on the UCD website there is no late application for Mature students to this course. You can check that with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thank you all for your responses. Really appreciate the help

Regarding the 3 out of 5 years residency rule, this applies just to even apply for the course? I thought it was just for grants, this changes things!

So realistically I would need to come home, get some sort of work for a vets, and apply next year?

I will definitely try and get more experience.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

amber23 wrote: »

Regarding the 3 out of 5 years residency rule, this applies just to even apply for the course? I thought it was just for grants, this changes things!

This applies to your residency. If you already have a degree this would decide the fees you will be charged, EU or non-EU rate. Afaik if no previous degree just the registration fee or non-EU fees. And would also affect your eligibility to apply for a grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

There's no residency requirement to apply for a course. Anyone from anywhere can do that.

Residency is however a criteria for grant funding and fee support/free fees.

To be considered eligible for free tuition fees and the fee grant you need to have been resident in the EU/EAA for 3 out of the last 5 years.

To be considered for the maintenance grant you need three out of 5 years residency in Ireland.

The colleges you are applying to can also give you info on your funding eligibility.

Thanks Paperclip, that all makes sense. I have received responses from a couple of colleges I sent inquiries to, so things are a lot clearer now. As I am away I won't be there to do interviews so will have to wait until next year for the vet assistant course. Kildalton are allowing me to send a video to apply.

Thanks for all the help

Advertisement