Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP - CF CARD RECOVERY

• 04-01-2013 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Hi, I deleted 4 pictures from a CF card and want to get them back. I didn't format the card since, but I'm wondering has anyone used any FREE card /data recovery software that can be downloaded off the net?

I did search and found 2 programs and downloaded them and then after they recovered the photos, they asked for money in order to proceed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Have you tried Recuva?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

PhotoRec. It's saved my otherwise lost photos on several occasions at this stage. Free too.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The software that cones with SanDisk cards, while a pain to use/install is pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

Ok, used photorec, made no sense, I now have a folder called called recup_dir.1 in my C drive filled with txt files, where are my jpegs and CR2 files?

Going to try recuva now.

wow, ok Recuva worked, thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

malene wrote: »
    wow, ok Recuva worked, thanks!!

Recuva never failed me yet.
    Glad you got them back

I now have a sandisc 2G SD card that i have formatted a few times, I tried the recuva software and it did bring back a few photos, but not far back enough. Is there a limit as to how many many formats the older pictures can survive or is there another FREE software that will do an even DEEPER scan. (the results I got were from the Recuva deep scan).

Thanks,

mal

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I now have a sandisc 2G SD card that i have formatted a few times, I tried the recuva software and it did bring back a few photos, but not far back enough. Is there a limit as to how many many formats the older pictures can survive or is there another FREE software that will do an even DEEPER scan. (the results I got were from the Recuva deep scan).

Thanks,

mal

You're really lucky to get images form a single format TBH. If you just format the card in camera it's probably only going to delete the data and it can maybe be recovered. If you take more photos on that formatted card then you're going to overwrite the underlying data - fairly randomly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Thanks,

mal

Can't tell you about the program, as I always use the recovery program that came with my SanDisk cards and it always recovered the pictures from the previous shot + some older ones as well, but that was always straight after a format.
    A normal format doesn't actually delete any data, it just deletes the table that tells you where the pictures are stored. So as long as you don't overwrite the actual data (e.g. by taking new pictures with the card), you should be able to recover it without any problems.

darn, i took loads of pix after ones I'm looking and multile formats, but the recovery only seems to go a certain distance back, I'll hang on to the card anyways, just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Hey Malene,

I can tell you that you won't get that data back - when you format a card and take new pics the data for those pictures overwrites the data from the old pics. The reason you get some older pics is because their data wasn't overwritten yet by new pics.

A very simplistic way of looking at it is if you had a 2GB card and you take 2GB of pics, then wipe the card, then take 1GB of pics then, out of the first 2GB of pics half of them will have been over written by the new pictures but the other half would still be recoverable. Then lets say you format the card again and take half a gigs worth of pictures you would probably be able to recover half of the pictures you took from the 1GB batch and half of the pictures you took from the 2GB batch.

However if the order was reversed and you too half a gig of pics, then formatted, then took 1gb of pics, then formatted then filled up the card taking 2GB of pics then you wouldn't be able to recover any of the older pics because they would have been over written when you took the last 2GB batch of pics.

In reality it isn't quite that straight forward because memory isn't always used in linear order from the first to last sector like that but that's the general gist of it.

ok thanks Gambler.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

Off topic, but for the Mac users out there, I've had great success using EXIF Untrasher, a small FREE Mac app which first creates an image of your card, then dumps all found photos out to a folder, with a new file name (unfortunately). It's simple, clean and un-spammy.

Advertisement