Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formatting and backing up

Options
  • 04-01-2013 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am getting a few parts for my PC (mobo, CPU and RAM) tomorrow in the post, and so I'm using the opportunity to clear the crap out of HD(D)s.

I have a nice few questions. I'll try to be as clear as possible, so please bear with me. :)

I built this PC over 2 years ago, and I have the Win7 disk. Since I am going to be installing a new mobo, does this mean I will need to reinstall Windows? A quick Google tells me I just need to repair, but I'm not too sure.

Originally I had just a 500GB HDD installed. I then purchased an SSD and installed Windows on that, using my HDD as a seconday storage drive; I took the lazy option, though, and didn't bother uninstalling Windows from it.

How do I go about installing/repairing Windows on my SSD when I install my motherboard?

What's the easiest way to get rid of Windows on my HDD, while keeping all my data on it? Backing up and then uninstalling with the Windows disk? Backing up just backs up data, not the OS, am I correct?

I just installed a third HDD that I picked up second hand, which has 465GB of space, so that should be handy for the backing up.

I'm not a tech-noob, but since I haven't done this before, I just want to do it as correctly as possible. Trolling through tid-bit answers via Google is inefficient, and I want to be sure I'm getting the correct answers :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

No help?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Gumbi wrote: »
    No help?

What type of windows 7 licence do you have?

This is the one I bought 2 years ago, I think. (At least I copy and pasted from my order history and this is what came up)

https://lb.hardwareversand.de/OEM-Software/29181/MS+Windows+7+Home+Premium+64bit+SB-Version+Englisch.article

The "license pricing" is OEM. The "license type" is "License and Media". Hope that helps.

If it's OEM it's tied to the mobo so you'll need a new licence as far as I understand. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can clarify because there was always exceptions...

From what I can see if it's a replacement motherboard (as the other failed) then you should be ok to reinstall the OEM licence but you will probably need to call Microsoft and explain but if it's an upgrade then you need a new licence

Thanks. I just Googled it right there. You seem to be correct. There may yet be some hope :/ That is f*cking annoying, though :/

• Advertisement

New info added in previous post

Hmmm. It hasn't actually failed, I just need to get a new one 'cos it doesn't support the appropriate hardware; I don't really have a choice as I need to upgrade so that it will support the new CPU sockets :/ I'll call Microsoft and see what happens.

I really don't wan't to pay another 90 euro for Windows :/

good luck

Advertisement