Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of external insulation on old stone house?

Options
  • 04-01-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi all im just looking for cost/sqm for external insulation thats plastered once its fixed on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Typically in the order of €100/sq.m give or take. Factors than can influence this include moving/altering windows, rainwater goods, eaves and verges etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

Thanks and what thickness board would be used? How are the reveals around windows done as it is an old house and the reveal is roughly 12 or 14 inches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

jesus, €100/sq metre???
    That rules that out for me, I think I'll be looking for an alternative.
    The (one) side of my house would probably cost me 5 grand give or take! then, how long would it take to recover that in heating costs???
    What mm thickness is standard/the U value of the material used for external insulation?

jakko86 wrote: »
    Thanks and what thickness board would be used? How are the reveals around windows done as it is an old house and the reveal is roughly 12 or 14 inches?

The best practice is to move the windows into the insulation zone, that way you reduce the thermal bridging. It does however mean deep reveals internally and deep window boards.
    Merch wrote: »
    jesus, €100/sq metre???
    That rules that out for me, I think I'll be looking for an alternative.
    The (one) side of my house would probably cost me 5 grand give or take! then, how long would it take to recover that in heating costs???
    What mm thickness is standard/the U value of the material used for external insulation?

if its an existing dwelling you maybe entitled to a grant from SEAI . In terms of payback, without looking at the whole picture of the energy efficiency of the whole house its hard to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

archtech wrote: »
    The best practice is to move the windows into the insulation zone, that way you reduce the thermal bridging. It does however mean deep reveals internally and deep window boards.

if its an existing dwelling you maybe entitled to a grant from SEAI . In terms of payback, without looking at the whole picture of the energy efficiency of the whole house its hard to tell.

That still doesnt get away from the original cost, just offsets it, (maybe slightly)
    Best case scenario is an otherwise efficient house, still take along time to recover that cost,
    as for a house that isn't as efficient or efficient otherwise, might not recover it at all.

Im thinking of a lower cost solution that starts paying back sooner

• Advertisement

Merch wrote: »
    Im thinking of a lower cost solution that starts paying back sooner

Talk to an experienced professional in retrofit who will do some cals and get some budget costings and will be able to demonstrate best value for your investment and advise you of the pitfall and limitations of different proposals.

Advertisement