Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning English

• 04-01-2013 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering how people approach learning this subject. I know you cant learn for paper one just practice really for that. But in relation to paper 2 how do people learn the quotes and poetry and essays. Its the only subject i experience difficulty learning

Anyhelp thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I feel the same. You just have to read over everything and have a fair idea for whats going on. For poetry I learn maybe two or three quotes per poem, (you don't really need loads, some people over do it, but they don't want a quote in every single sentence.), and even write down or make notes of where there is language techniques and assosance etc, for any plays or texts I just read over them and learn quotes
    there isn't as much study to english compared to other subjects. Even my english teacher told me that. Hope I somwhat helped... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

user.name wrote: »
    I feel the same. You just have to read over everything and have a fair idea for whats going on. For poetry I learn maybe two or three quotes per poem, (you don't really need loads, some people over do it, but they don't want a quote in every single sentence.), and even write down or make notes of where there is language techniques and assosance etc, for any plays or texts I just read over them and learn quotes
    there isn't as much study to english compared to other subjects. Even my english teacher told me that. Hope I somwhat helped... :pac:

thanks for that advice maybe its a bad idea trying to learn the poems word for word. In junior cert i could learn the poems line by line i dont know whats after happening :pac:.

Does your teacher say you need quotes for the comparitive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

You definitely don't need quotes for the comparative. They can help though - I used one or two and made my answer flow a bit better in doing so and showed that I had some.

As for poetry, just know what the poems are about and find common links! No matter what the question, just analyse the poems in light of what the question suggests. You're entitled to disagree if you like. Personally I used tons of quotes because I loved the poets I studied and their poems stuck in my mind after reading them so much because they were great. :pac: Dunno what the recommended amount would be as a result, but try to weave them in rather than stopping, quoting and starting again if you know what I mean.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    You definitely don't need quotes for the comparative. They can help though - I used one or two and made my answer flow a bit better in doing so and showed that I had some.

As for poetry, just know what the poems are about and find common links! No matter what the question, just analyse the poems in light of what the question suggests. You're entitled to disagree if you like. Personally I used tons of quotes because I loved the poets I studied and their poems stuck in my mind after reading them so much because they were great. :pac: Dunno what the recommended amount would be as a result, but try to weave them in rather than stopping, quoting and starting again if you know what I mean.

it just seems the poetry takes up alot of time and is only worth 50 marks! Im going through the poems at the moment and analysing them under theme, tone,imagery and sound effects and just learning a couple of quotes on each and incorporate them into my answer whatever the question is ! Thanks for the advice but unfortunately i hate the poets :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Sunny!! wrote: »
    it just seems the poetry takes up alot of time and is only worth 50 marks! Im going through the poems at the moment and analysing them under theme, tone,imagery and sound effects and just learning a couple of quotes on each and incorporate them into my answer whatever the question is ! Thanks for the advice but unfortunately i hate the poets :pac:
    it really does when you consider that the A/B parts in P1 are the same amount! If you dont like poetry it's probably better to ignore things like sound effects - that's a lot of detail and you'd really need to know it inside out to answer it properly. I'd just go by theme/tone and the overall message and how that fits into the general picture of the poet that we have. I'm not really sure what you mean by imagery, I would kind of lump all that into the theme I think, maybe I learned things weirdly. :P
    Good luck with it, and don't waste too much time on poetry if you don't like it, coz as you said it's not too important. :pac:

• Advertisement

Patchy~ wrote: »
    it really does when you consider that the A/B parts in P1 are the same amount! If you dont like poetry it's probably better to ignore things like sound effects - that's a lot of detail and you'd really need to know it inside out to answer it properly. I'd just go by theme/tone and the overall message and how that fits into the general picture of the poet that we have. I'm not really sure what you mean by imagery, I would kind of lump all that into the theme I think, maybe I learned things weirdly. :P
    Good luck with it, and don't waste too much time on poetry if you don't like it, coz as you said it's not too important. :pac:

my teacher said its a good idea to deal with the 4 heading for structure or something. I dont mind sound effects once theres assonance and alliteration in the poems. But thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

I used to say the quotes outloud and get someone to test me on them but that's just my learning style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheFlayedMan

I find poetry the easiest on paper 2, shame it's the least amount of marks. (by easiest I mean from comparative, single text and prescribed poetry)

How I study is to read over some notes, then put away the copy, open the papers and choose a relevant question at random.

Advertisement