Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my PSU faulty?

Options
  • 04-01-2013 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I ran a diagnostic program to measure the voltages going to the cpu, heres the results:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dynamo Roller1

more

Ive been having weird lag in games and while browsing and strange minimising from full screen programs. I was thinking maybe a low voltage would be the culprit as it was a bargain jobbie from maplins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I fix Switch Mode Power Supplies in TVs and other devices..

It's hard to tell from just a few charts.. But on looking at them, the 12v rails are only being measured at 10v. And this doesnt seem right. This type of fault can be caused the by failure of electrolytic capacitors on the secondary side of the power supply... Could be a failure of voltage regulation as well (usually there is a regulator to hold the voltage at 12v even when the current draw changes). But realistically it's nothing that you are gonna tackle yourself.. I dont think anybody actually repairs PC PSUs any more cos they are so cheap.

If the PC was sitting on my desk and I thought it was having PSU problems, I would try to source (even temporarily) another power supply and see how the PC runs with it... This would be far quicker and more conclusive i.e. ... if the problem is gone, then it IS a PSU fault, if it's not then it ISNT a PSU fault.
    Ive been having weird lag in games and while browsing and strange minimising from full screen programs

The time lag could be caused by a million different reasons.. most likely something configured in the software or hardware drivers... tbh, if it was a PSU error I would have expected a more catastrophic fault (i.e. reboot or power off).

I forgot to mention that the pc doesn't power off fully after i shut down from windows and the fans keep spinning until i turn it off at the switch on the back. I used this PSU in with 2 different mobos now and its the same problem. Time to replace it before it blows up maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Trying your PSU (which you think is faulty) with another PC is not usually a good idea as it could damage the other motherboard, and that leaves you in a whole world of trouble... Most people keep a "junk" motherboard as a test load for the power supply... Or you wanted to get really clever, you can put the PSU on your desk, jump pin 14 to ground (to switch it on), and add your own 5V and 12V loads.. There are a number of videos on youtube about how to do this..

Dont try to overcomplicate it by downloading diagnostics programs.. Just use your eyes.. I've had hard drives that have passed all diagnostics tests and I know they are faulty.. Power supplies DO fail, so dont go looking beyond the obvious. Get a new or borrowed PSU and try it with your machine...

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/catalog/zkb_01com/29_psu/default.aspx
    Komplett have a load of them, just make sure that if you're gaming it has enough wattage to run your video card, hard drives and all the cooling systems comfortably..

• Advertisement

Trying your PSU (which you think is faulty) with another PC is not usually a good idea as it could damage the other motherboard, and that leaves you in a whole world of trouble... Most people keep a "junk" motherboard as a test load for the power supply... Or you wanted to get really clever, you can put the PSU on your desk, jump pin 14 to ground (to switch it on), and add your own 5V and 12V loads.. There are a number of videos on youtube about how to do this..

Dont try to overcomplicate it by downloading diagnostics programs.. Just use your eyes.. I've had hard drives that have passed all diagnostics tests and I know they are faulty.. Power supplies DO fail, so dont go looking beyond the obvious. Get a new or borrowed PSU and try it with your machine...

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/catalog/zkb_01com/29_psu/default.aspx
    Komplett have a load of them, just make sure that if you're gaming it has enough wattage to run your video card, hard drives and all the cooling systems comfortably..

Thanks for your help

Advertisement