Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France TEFL with no degree - likely?

Options
  • 05-01-2013 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

Hey

Does anyone have any experience teaching English in France? Finding mixed messages online. Some say a degree is needed, but the degree is generally a visa requirement which I wouldnt need

My plan would be to take a full time in course in France then try get a work placement

Any advice helps! Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Pompette

Hi unreggd,

I taught English in France last year as an English language assistant in a secondary school. I had an absolute ball and would highly recommend it. However, the main thing to be aware of with the assistantship programme is that they can basically send you anywhere so i don't know if teaching in the back arse in France would appeal to everyone. Anyway, as regards having a degree, I have a degree in French but I know people who applied the same year as me with only having done French for a year at university, and they got in... so I don't think they're that strict on it as long as you show you have a good enough level and interest in French. Every country has a quota of people they can send and it's not THAT popular in Ireland so it seems it's quite easy to get in.
    Here's a link to where to apply etc. and more information:
    http://www.education.ie/en/Learners/Services/English-Language-Assistant-Scheme/English-Language-Assistant-Scheme.html

Get on to me if you want any more information. I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind but there ya go anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

That's great info, thanks a mil!

I've never done French in college, but I speak it pretty well. My plan for the language is to study it here for the next year [class + conversation nights each week, then supp @ home] aimed towards the fluency certs from Alliance Francais. I'll prob aim to go next year, and continue language courses when I get there. I also planned to do my TEFL course IN France, the 4-week full time course

I'm studying graphic design at the moment, so even if I finish the degree, I don't think it would benefit much, as the degree is usually a visa requirement, not a job requirement, but I dont need a visa!

Advertisement