Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric shower

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

M cebee wrote: »
    what does it say on it?

It just echoes what's already been said. I think this thread is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

. I think this thread is done.

Please dont give up that easily! All I read from this thread; only one poster gave a distinct answer, all others appear to be clueless about the OP's question.

The referenced document is as clear as mud. It appears to apply only to registered tradespersons ????

whizbang wrote: »
    Please dont give up that easily! All I read from this thread; only one poster gave a distinct answer, all others appear to be clueless about the OP's question.

The referenced document is as clear as mud. It appears to apply only to registered tradespersons ????

I thought it was quite clear seeing as how it makes reference to both registered and non registered contractors and the routes each should take.

It doesn't make reference to a handyman (regardless of ability which may well be better than some qualified electricians) as electrical work should be carried out by qualified electricians.

Yes a handyman may well be able to carry out the work but it'll never be to the same standard as an electrician as he is unable to test or certify his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

• Advertisement

I think is what has been said, all electrical work needs to be certified from industrial to replacing a shower with a minor work cert. You need to be qualified to get a cert, whatever about pl. CER have the power to issue legal proceedings if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭navara man

thank for replies i leave to electrician so. i got a quote for 500 for job i guess not bad for a qualified electrician

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

Controlled Works are major electrical installation works (including additions,
    alterations and/or extensions) which are covered by the National Wiring Rules and
    which involve:

1. the installation, commissioning, inspection, and testing of a new fixed
    electrical installation requiring connection or reconnection to the electricity
    network;

2. the installation or replacement of a Distribution Board or Consumer Unit,
    or new installation in special locations as defined in Part 7 of the National
    Wiring Rules ET101 and ET105;

3. the installation or replacement of one or more extra circuits in an existing
    installation, including the installation of one or more additional protective devices
    for such circuits on a distribution board;

4. Subsystems installed in Commercial, Industrial, and Domestic installations
    where the installation falls within the remit of the National Wiring Rules;

5. the inspection, testing and certification of existing electrical installations
    (in accordance with Chapter 62 of the Wiring Rules (ET 101 –Fourth Edition-
    2008 and to conform with Regulation 89 of SI No 732 of 2007

So: as long as its not one of the above, or anr restricted works, then no legal requirements exist ???

whizbang wrote: »
    So: as long as its not one of the above, or anr restricted works, then no legal requirements exist ???

Having read through The definition of control work, you are right whizbang, I went too far with the requirements for certification. I looks like there is no cert required for the direct replacement of a shower. If that is what the op is doing then legally anyone can do it,
    A quote of 500 sounds a bit more that a direct replacement, so maybe the job does require certification.

navara man wrote: »
    thank for replies i leave to electrician so. i got a quote for 500 for job i guess not bad for a qualified electrician

€500??? :eek:

Is that for a direct Replacement of just the shower unit or wiring,plumbing and fitting new shower?

For a direct replacement I'd have though €350-€400 would be closer the mark depending on distance travelled could be higher/lower

Does it not state on the shower itself that it should be installed by a qualified electrician and I'm sure it'd have a knock on effect on your house insurance.

Either way would you let a handy man perform heart surgery on you or would you rather a surgeon did it?

Horses for courses and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

leeomurchu wrote: »

Either way would you let a handy man perform heart surgery on you or would you rather a surgeon did it?

People would be more choosy in picking a car mechanic etc, than a surgeon if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Is it a mains shower or a pumped shower?And is it a full installtion or replacement job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭navara man

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Is it a mains shower or a pumped shower?And is it a full installtion or replacement job?
    full installtion pumped shower

robbie7730 wrote: »
    People would be more choosy in picking a car mechanic etc, than a surgeon if needed.

Maybe you would be happy with a random surgeon operating on you but given the choice I'd want the most qualified.

2011 running with the herd again.. haha :rolleyes:

Maybe you would be happy with a random surgeon operating on you but given the choice I'd want the most qualified.
    Never said what I would be happy with or not. But dont forget to vet your anesthetist too, with whom your first words to are likely to be a short count into unconsciousness. Three times last year in a week, and still I didnt know her name:)
    2011 running with the herd again.. haha :rolleyes:

That roll eyes should be banned. Stupid bloody thing.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Never said what I would be happy with or not. But dont forget to vet your anesthetist too, with whom your first words to are likely to be a short count into unconsciousness. Three times last year in a week, and still I didnt know her name:)

That roll eyes should be banned. Stupid bloody thing.

Ah yes but aren't they all qualified to do the job in hand which is the point in question is it not?

Ban it I think you should be able to label some folk with it :D

Ah yes but aren't they all qualified to do the job in hand which is the point in question is it not?

Ban it I think you should be able to label some folk with it :D

Put in a new socket, and its probably over regulated, jobs for the boys type stuff.

Put in a new heart, patient dies on table, and its "next please".

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Most people that pay for electrical work lack any understanding of the technicalities involved or the risks they are exposed to when they employ someone other that a qualified electrician to carry out electrical work.

They will often select an individual to carry out electrical work based on very different criteria that an individual with electrical training might. For example Mrs. Smith may select the local handyman, Bob Gunter to carry out some electrical work because be won't go wrecking her patio by installing a "useless" earth electrode and besides she may want someone will also paint the kitchen and fix that leaky tap while they are at it.

To many if the electrical work appears to be neat, they turn on the light switch and the light comes on they are convinced that it is a job well done. They do not look beyond that nor do they care once the price is right.

Generally speaking a handyman will get away with it too. This is because 99% of the time costly items such as MCBs, RCDs and earthing systems make no difference to the operation of the electrical system that the end user can see. They could have the entire house on one circuit with sockets in the bathroom, no earths and the cooker wired in flex and still be perceived as an electrical genius. I have even seen 230V lights wired in alarm cable by one proud handyman.

This is why the conscientious electrical contractor that insists on doing everything by the book can loose out. He has to pay for all of the things that the handyman that dose not bother with such as insurance, proper cable sizes, larger distribution boards, certification, reasonable rates of pay for electricians etc. It is may view that that is part of the reason that so many electricians find themselves without employment or poorly paid.

Apologies if this appears to be "running with the herd" :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

navara man wrote: »
    full installtion pumped shower

Well then i think thats a fair price.Just make sure you get a Mira Elite ST or a Triton T80z.Both are top notch reliable showers!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think this thread has run its course now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement