Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Connecting Fan to mains

• 05-01-2013 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Let's just say that my knowledge in this area is extermely limited so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a small fan (230v) that can, I'm assured by the website (see link below), be connected to the mains. There are two brown wires coming out of this thing, how to I connect this to some flex to plug into mains?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/230v-main-axial-fans-1810

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It shouldn't really be that way, but it will work, just connect one to the live and one to the neutral. It doesn't matter which, like a lamp in a circuit.

What are you using it for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭whizbang

Use some 3Amp, 3core cable, earth to the metal frame, L, N to either of the fan wires. Use max 3A fuse in the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 canislupus

Thanks for the replies.
    What are you using it for?
    It's for a biltong box, to air dry beef to make a South African 'Jerky'.

my searching online had kind of led me to the two methods described above, which is the most appropriate?
    How exactly would you connect the earth to the metal frame? Must be 3amp cable and fuse max?
    Much appreciated guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭whizbang

StarWasher.jpg

Use a small screw and nut, with bunch of these washers, each side of the earth wire, and each side of the metal.
    maybe you can do without the earth, if you trust your wiring, and the fan is out of reach.

Any wire will do, as long as its rated better than the fuse.

Fans can get stalled and overheat easily, so proper fusing is a must

Advertisement