Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attacked by a pitbull

• 05-01-2013 2:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭

My 18 month year old boxer got got attacked by a pit bull. I had him on a lead and the pitbull wasn't on his. He got hold of his ear and droopy lip. The whole right side of his head is red raw(I can see his scalp for the first time) and he has some cuts that have stopped bleeding. He's freaked out but seems like himself as well. We think this is the second time he's been been attacked by the same dog, my partner had this a few weeks ago but it was only a scuffle. What should I do for him? And can I report this other dog? It was huge. I was kicking it trying to get him off for what seemed like forever but couldn't get him away. I feel awful.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Gardai, dog warden, solicitor, county council, use them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

First things first. Get the dog checked out.

Are you able to make enquiries as to who owns the dog? If not, maybe a call to the dog warden??

Finally - looks as though the poor dog's traumatised now. I'd find somewhere else to walk him. And in future carry a walking stick.

Hope the poor fella feels better soon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Will do. We can't not walk there, its on the way to the shops. I just won't bring him anymore I guess. Definitely calling the warden though. It was huge and had no muzzle and I've a fairly good idea where it lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Certainly report the incident to both the Warden and Garda. Keep a record of the injuries and any bills you might incur. I don't see why you should be out of pocket because of irresponsible dog owners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

+ camera for proof

Hope dog will be OK, get him to a park/ forest walk, out of town to let him get his confidence back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

report the owners if you know who they are. the last thing the breed needs is owners that let them run free in public :mad:

If you know where the owner lives, I would certainly present him with the vet bill, along with a solicitor's letter.

Brillo. Called the cops. They actually know the dog that did it. I've to bring mine in tomorrow for them to see him and I can make a complaint. Thanks for the advice lads. It's sad that this could result in the other fella getting put down but **** that. No muzzle he shouldn't be out.

All I can do is wash it n stick sudocreme on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

david75 wrote: »
    ...got attacked by a pit bull... It was huge.

David, hope your dog gets better. Keep an eye on those wounds and if they become puffy or very red you really do need to get your dog to the vet to fight the infection.

Just a point: if the dog that attacked your boxer was 'huge', it wasn't a pitbull. I'm sure that's no comfort to you, but misidentification of breeds adds to the urban myths that underscore breed specific legislation, and that in turn causes a lot of dog owners a lot of grief.

Pursue your correct avenues and seek redress against this specific animal and its owner, but please don't name it as a pitbull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Also, just because you report it, doesn't mean the dog will will be put down. That would have to go to court etc etc and because it attacked a dog and not a person I highly doubt a judge would order it to be PTs. He will just prob get a warning from the warden etc to keep the dog under control.
    I would recommend you bring your dog to the vet to get checked out as a bite like that could get nasty and infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Just jumping on this thread - hope you don't mind OP, My sister was attacked by a young Pitbull in the park yesterday, she was walking her dog, (springer) and the Pitbull came over and started fighting with her dog. she got a stick from the bushes but the dog grabbed the stick and started jumping on her, she was terrified. After a couple of minutes, a 9/10 year old boy arrived calling for the dog. She had a terrible fright, it was definitely a Pitbull - my question is, should they not be on a lead with a muzzle?....It's a very dog-friendly park (Portmarnock, hugh field).....Her clothes were like she had fallen into a puddle!

I'm not bashing Pitbulls but she was very traumatised after the experience. Now she's worried about going back to the park.....I think a child should not be out with a Pitbull, unaccompanied and not on a lead.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

OP I hope your dog gets better soon

Thanks folks. He's got three or four infected cuts. He's on antibiotics and I've been referred to a vet today cos he needs a procedure to clean it all up. Not sure what this entails. He seems to be sleeping constantly since the antibiotics started. I can only think this is a good thing. Back later with an update. Thanks for all the advice.

Aw, so sorry to hear that. Hope the poor doggy feels better soon...:(

I'd call the vet. Just give them a call to make sure all's well.

Did you manage to catch up with the owners yet? They should most certainly be paying the bill! A solicitor's letter might be in order if they don't play ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

get a pic of the dog and post it so we can help you out with the breed

• Registered Users Posts: 27 robanemma

not a pitbull generally american pitbulls or staffords 2 different breeds by the way are never huge apbt,s usually would be smaller than a boxer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement