Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been here a while and if so, happy with it?

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

philologos wrote: »
    You ought to come to the next one. We were all saying that it'd be great to see the hippy himself in person :)

You'd be sorely disappointed, Phil ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

old hippy wrote: »
    That said, it's head and shoulders above Dublin, in terms of amenities, things to do, public transport and so forth.
    I don't think anyone's going to argue that everything is not bigger and better in London, but I'm not sure it offers an overall better quality of life. It's much more affordable to base yourself in the centre of Dublin than it is to base yourself relatively centrally in London. I mean, I'm paying roughly twice the rent I was paying in Dublin, with little difference in salary (after tax) - I had considerably more disposable income in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

djpbarry wrote: »
    I don't think anyone's going to argue that everything is not bigger and better in London, but I'm not sure it offers an overall better quality of life. It's much more affordable to base yourself in the centre of Dublin than it is to base yourself relatively centrally in London. I mean, I'm paying roughly twice the rent I was paying in Dublin, with little difference in salary (after tax) - I had considerably more disposable income in Dublin.

I have more d.i. over here, tbh but yes, I think the quality of life was better back home when it came to the size of Dublin and immediacy. Still more things to do and see in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

I think you may have picked me up wrong and my last post would have caused that. I mean that the reason I like London more than Dublin is because it's a more expansive city; it's bigger and more to offer; more important city on the world scene ans able to attract more things, hence why I'd find it more interesting to me. And by mentioned that maybe I like London more than London is because it's a more prestigious city and therefore more things happen there as opposed to a less prestigious city. I'll give a non-representative example; a major aports tournament or a scientific endeavour is more likely to take place in London than Dublin.

I get you're saying, that's why I like London, but those events aren't really life changing for the average Londoner who isn't apart of it. So yes London has more eyes on it than Dublin, but when you're on the ground here it's just normal everyday life. The Olympics I would say is an exception to what I just said, it did seem to bring everyone from all parts of the city together.

Advertisement