Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who inspire?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭burgermasters

Have another few of them burgers.

It might keep you quiet.

Man was a genius! What's there to keep quiet about? Maybe its a burger you need? Or some warm milk help you sleep? You seem a little cranky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Well the British empire that is!

The empire that once had 3 thirds of the globe ;)

Inside joke

goz83 wrote: »

Inside joke

Wondered when not would show up? Welcome goz

Inside joke

Oh and by the way? That's getting old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Wondered when not would show up? Welcome goz

When? I'm never gone :D

Who inspires me? Hmmmmm

That's a tough one. But a quote perhaps.

It doesn't matter whether a man believes he can, or believes he can't, either way, he's right. - Henry Ford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just because somebody believes in a cause doesn't make it right.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

When? I'm never gone :D

Who inspires me? Hmmmmm

That's a tough one. But a quote perhaps.

It doesn't matter whether a man believes he can, or believes he can't, either way, he's right. - Henry Ford.

The inspiring thing relating to that man is that Ford now support gay marriage :D. The bigot will be rolling in his grave!

I find Brian O'Driscoll inspiring.

Also, some excellent suggestions in this thread, although I couldn't help noticing 99% of the suggestions are men.

Of course, now that I've mentioned that, people will be consciously trying to think of inspiring women to add to the list ;)

Some poor sap will then say "my mother" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lemonperv

Paula Abdul

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The Medici family: For the italian renaissance

You don't have to look to the past for crooked bankers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Lapin wrote: »
    RE - John Hume.

I glanced at that and for a second thought it was RIP - John Hume :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Prometheus

I have several people that have inspired me over the years, but in every case, when I have delved deeper into these peoples lives I have always without exception come across a WTF.
    All inspirational people have at some time behaved quite the opposite to how we perceive them.
    All of the "famous" inspirational people have at times led questionable lives at some point.
    I am fully aware that this is human nature, and nobody is perfect etc. Is this image we have of a lot of these people
    due to bending of the truth by supporters?
    Is any person that constantly appears on the inspiration list truly worthy of it?
    Would love to know, and again fully appreciate its all about perspective and human nature.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Prometheus wrote: »
    I have several people that have inspired me over the years, but in every case, when I have delved deeper into these peoples lives I have always without exception come across a WTF.
    All inspirational people have at some time behaved quite the opposite to how we perceive them.
    I see this as a good thing. "Saints" are boring, "sinners" rising above that are far more interesting.

Speaking of saints, I'd find Columbanus inspiring. Not the religious bit, just the sheer bloodyminded determination of the man. Ditto for many of those early Irish monks, like the aforementioned Brendan and the later John Scottus. Serious brain going on with him. His various philosophies are well worth a read. When the pope and his advisors finally got around to actually reading them, they went apeshít and called him a heretic, so that's a recommendation if there ever was one. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Nelson Mandela. Locked up for 27 years, comes out, does he look for justice againsh his jailers/oppessors. Nope he just gets on with being an absolute hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Ghandi is inspring me at the moment-Reading some of his stuff now. Not sure I'm down with his celibacy ideas but the rest is pretty challanging. I would recommend his book "The story of my experiments with truth".

I have nothing new to teach the world.Truth and non violence are as old as the hills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

arthur guinness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

As a newish runner Derek Redmond and his determination at the 1992 Olympics inspires me.

rosalind franklin: Her work on x-ray Crystallography is what lead to the discovery of the DNA double helix. She didn't recieve any credit for years either.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

K-9 wrote: »
    I think the picture of him crying would have broke any ordinary individual, the talks were crumbling, only John Hume could have rose above all that.

How he overcame that and battled on is inspiring.

does anyone know where to find this picture, I'd like to see it.

for me, Rosa Parks, all the people on the ireland people of the year awards are truly inspiring, some heart-wrenching stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Self help book writers. Also random quotes from famous people that sound really deep and intelligent but for the most part they're taken out of context by people in conversations or whatever.. Just because something sounds cool doesnt mean its right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

The people that inspire me most are afew nurses and healthcare workers I know that are exceedingly great at the job they do. I know plenty of average and even bad workers, but there's a handful of them I know that inspire me to try my damright hardest and to never give up no matter how many times I get shot down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Tom Gilmartin is a man to be admired. One of the few who decided to expose the corruption in Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Mr. Nice

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Personally it would be David Simon and Ed Burns, both are responsible for the greatest work of art of the past 10 years.

The Wire?
    And you mention it in the same post as Oscar Wilde, Joyce and Darwin? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

dirtyden wrote: »
    Nelson Mandela. Locked up for 27 years, comes out, does he look for justice againsh his jailers/oppessors. Nope he just gets on with being an absolute hero.

Locked up for being a terrorist and murdering civilians. Absolute hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭omerin

Frogeye wrote: »
    Ghandi is inspring me at the moment-Reading some of his stuff now. Not sure I'm down with his celibacy ideas but the rest is pretty challanging. I would recommend his book "The story of my experiments with truth".

I have nothing new to teach the world.Truth and non violence are as old as the hills

I was wondering what happened to him, he made one good film, didn't think he wrote aswell

The people that inspire me most are afew nurses and healthcare workers I know that are exceedingly great at the job they do. I know plenty of average and even bad workers, but there's a handful of them I know that inspire me to try my damright hardest and to never give up no matter how many times I get shot down.

The ones who put emotional investment into health care really amaze me. How they do it day in day out is a mystery!

123 LC wrote: »
    does anyone know where to find this picture, I'd like to see it.

for me, Rosa Parks, all the people on the ireland people of the year awards are truly inspiring, some heart-wrenching stories.

I can't find anything when searching, the end of this youtube clip is the nearest:

I remember it vividly as I think it was his wife that hugged him.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Stephen Foster, Irish american singer song writer who stood up for the rights of African americans and the poor in society.

Lapin wrote: »
    RE - John Hume.

Flawed as it is, recognition doesn't come much higher than the Nobel Peace Prize.

Obviously.

But they usually inspire to get the Nobel Pace Prize.

John Hume wins out over Adams or McGuiness, Hume was/is a gentleman.

Eventually everybody came round to see Hume's vision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Sir Alex Ferguson - insatiable drive and appetite for success. He lives to be the best.

People who have found inner peace.

Healthcare workers who go above and beyond the call of duty.

• Advertisement

The reason we don't have Hume's vision and brain anymore is Alzheimers.

I hope he gets the best Health care workers as per Pete Campbell'/flah's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Gregor Mendel

I have to say I'm consistently impressed by the remarkable success of Alan Joyce from Tallaght, an ex-Aer Lingus employee (like loads of other senior people in world aviation) who became head of Quantas airlines in 2008 at 42 years of age and turned the whole airline around despite enormous abuse like this. He must have an amazing combination of abilities and a great sense of himself.

How Qantas CEO Alan Joyce turned a $2.8bn loss into a $900m profit

And he's in today's news for a very different reason:

Qantas boss Alan Joyce feted for backing gay marriage

Alan-Joyce.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I have to say I'm consistently impressed by the remarkable success of Alan Joyce from Tallaght, an ex-Aer Lingus employee (like loads of other senior people in world aviation) who became head of Quantas airlines in 2008 at 42 years of age and turned the whole airline around despite enormous abuse like this. He must have an amazing combination of abilities and a great sense of himself.

How Qantas CEO Alan Joyce turned a $2.8bn loss into a $900m profit

5000 staff lost their job, good capitalist? Probably. Inspiring? Nope, not for me.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Henry Rollins. I could run through a wall after watching one of his interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

5000 staff lost their job, good capitalist? Probably. Inspiring? Nope, not for me.

Should have kept them all on and let the company fold, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Should have kept them all on and let the company fold, is it?

Your balls aren't crystal and nor are mine so neither of us can know the ifs buts and coconuts of what different options there were, or what would have happened with someone else, or different plans. Your post suggests the option was lose 5000 jobs (and no less) or company folds (and no alternative). Are you suggesting they were only 2 options? Laughable absolute.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Advertisement