Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic DIY

• 05-01-2013 3:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

Ok. Looking on the Internet and seen prices for blowing rockwool into the attic around the 1.5k mark.

Which i think is abit dear, so I was thinking of doing the job myself,

Getting cans of foam filler. And cover the roof in the attic with that,

Should cost a lot less.

Anyone ever try it your self ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 seanacai

That foam filler stuff is seriously toxic if in the unlikely event that it would ever come in contact with a fire. The smoke from it is something shocking from it.
    4" or 6" rolls of rockwool are not that expensive, about 20 euro a roll (the 6" rolls wont go as far but give a higher insulation value) and would much safer to use. I did my attic with it, all you need is safety goggles, breather mask, a handsaw and a stanley knife.
    If you do decide to go down the rolls of fiberglass wool insulation route avoid the yellow coloured stuff, itd itch the bejaysus out of you while putting it down, the brown wool is much easier on the skin.
    Hope this post is of use to you icon12.pnghttp://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon12.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Thanks for that I'll look into rolls..I need to do the attic big time, going to do the floor and the roof as well.

Once that is down place some wood chip floor boards down..

The yellow stuff is shocking could stop itching the last time I was working with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

Hi Cork24,

I just finished doing a job in my attic, took the whole day on saturday to do but well worth it in the end, used the earthwool 200mm stuff and I have the say the house feels like it holds the heat alot better after finishing it. (1400sqft bungalow)

I already had a small amount of old yellow stuff between the beams so I just laid the earthwool at right angles across the beams (where I could)

Gloves are a must, and a mask too probably!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 seanacai

That looks like a fab job altogether, tis well worth doing it eventhough it isnt the most comfortable of jobs to do! Its worth laying the insulation over any water pipes, that saves them from freezing in the icy weather.

Advertisement