Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving Laptop Sound Quality

Options
  • 05-01-2013 4:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've just bought a pair of Shure SRH440 Headphones that I plan on using for a few things, one of which is to listen to music and movies on my laptop with a small amount of gaming (just a measly Dell Inspiron).

I've been looking into methods of getting the best sound I can out of my laptop for under 100 euro. From what I've read online it would seem the best way to go about this is to buy a USB sound card, something like a Fiio E10 or an Asus xonar u3.

What do ye think of these?
    Is there a better option than a USB sound card for my requirements?

I'm also planning on investing in a desktop PC sometime in the near future and will be using that mostly for gaming and probably music listening too so is there something I could get that would solve my requirements now and later?

Really I'm looking for an all-rounder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I have a Fiio E10, got it from MP4Nation. Installed easily & sounds fantastic. Very compact too so easy to carry in your laptop bag. Well worth the money imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Stupify

Custardpi wrote: »
    I have a Fiio E10, got it from MP4Nation. Installed easily & sounds fantastic. Very compact too so easy to carry in your laptop bag. Well worth the money imo.

Ya thats whats drawing me to the usb sound cards, I'd be scared sh**tless if I had to open up my laptop and install a sound card :D

Do you find them equally good for both movie effects and music or does it work better for one over the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I don't really tend to use it for movies too much so can't say very much on that. The odd time I'd watch an AVI file on the laptop it sounds decent enough I suppose. Hi-res FLAC music files work great with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Fiio is a pretty safe bet in your price range.

Custardpi wrote: »
    I don't really tend to use it for movies too much so can't say very much on that. The odd time I'd watch an AVI file on the laptop it sounds decent enough I suppose. Hi-res FLAC music files work great with it.

Cool, it would probably be music that I would be listening to mostly.

• Advertisement

Brian wrote: »
    Fiio is a pretty safe bet in your price range.

Nice one, I'll probably go for it so.

Thanks guys.

Advertisement