Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KPMG Drunk girl shutdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Of course it's the case with boards. You're engaging in Jesuitical speaking. Whether the father has threatened legal action or not it has been analysed that he posed a legal threat as he has the capacity to pursue legal action. There are loads of threads that pose the same legal threat to boards, however they don't pose the same threat of legal action.

Well personally we reacted to the reported posts, made a judgement on a case by case basis and as the mod posted, we thought no good would come of it.

Legal considerations wouldn't have played a big part. As for other threads, it would depend on the reported posts mostly, I don't think they attracted anywhere near the level of reports as this one.

The Late, Late guy video was taken down after a legal threat AFAIK so we will have to act sometimes, even days after.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I see you haven't responded to the 'why was the Cork School girls video allowed'

Those girls:

Were underage
    Did not put themselves in the public eye.

I was actually shocked that a video showing underage girls fighting was allowed up.

Can you clarify why that was allowed up and this wasn't, please?

I was

I'm not a mod so I don't know why it was left up.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Pancakes24 wrote: »
    the amount of times ive heard similar provacitive rants from drunken snobs or otherwise is unreal. its about time this girl got her come upins. if she wasnt wealthy or she was from a disadvantaged area there would be none of this bullsh** support for her people would be calling her a scumbag and laughing! she proved herself to be stupid, ignorant and obnoxcious. she deservers to be ashamed if it wasnt recorded shed wake up without a care in the world!

hmmm coming from Blanchardstown I can't say I agree.

I see A LOT more of people being abused for 'being D4s'. I have literally never seen anyone react as that girl did. In 10 years of going out in the city centre it has never happened once.

I know a lot of people from rich areas through my work and the amount of times I've been out with them and they've been abused because of their accents is actually ridiculous. The typical D4, Doddy's cord, Ross O'Carroll Kelly, poshy ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

K-9 I know you're saying that in this case it's actually not a sneaky behind the scenes clampdown, but do you in fact understand where people are coming from in that it really looks like one?

Maybe it isn't, but it's hard to deny that it comes across that way. As I said, no other meme in my 16 year history of using the internet have I ever seen being silenced as swiftly or thoroughly as this particular video. Never.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but it's not unreasonable for people to get suspicious about that, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Pancakes24 wrote: »
    the amount of times ive heard similar provacitive rants from drunken snobs or otherwise is unreal. its about time this girl got her come upins. if she wasnt wealthy or she was from a disadvantaged area there would be none of this bullsh** support for her people would be calling her a scumbag and laughing! she proved herself to be stupid, ignorant and obnoxcious. she deservers to be ashamed if it wasnt recorded shed wake up without a care in the world!
    Its about time this girl got her comeuppance because you've heard similar rants from other people?

That just doesn't compute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

K-9 wrote: »
    Legal considerations wouldn't have played a big part.

humanji wrote: »
    As one of the reasons. Don't forget that. I know it may be implausible to some, but there really is more than one reason for it. The legal one is the most important to the site as it can result in the entire thing being shut down.

I don't know what to believe. Two different After Hours mods are telling me two different things.

On a different note, I think it'd be very interesting to look at Boards reaction to this from a public relations stand point. I think the reaction has improved immensely since the threads started first appearing and that's commendable. This isn't the thread for it though.

dvpower wrote: »
    Its about time this girl got her comeuppance because you've heard similar rants from other people?

That just doesn't compute.

Again I think what he's saying is that other people regularly DO get their comeuppance over videos like this.
    What about that "Scumbags fighting in Athlone" video? I'm sure everyone's seen that a thousand times, I know I've seen it on Boards, and the two people in it are named several times in the video, very clearly and audibly.
    Never seen that get deleted. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Dean09 wrote: »
    Is there ever going to be a line drawn here where Boards comes out and says who is fair game and who isn't?
    I'm not advocating the abuse this girl is getting but I'm wondering why the threads about her are being locked and people are being banned, while other people are fair game.
    Off the top of my head, I can think of a number of threads about people that were allowed to carry on without heavy moderation. For instance, all the Samantha Brick threads were allowed to stay and she got fierce abuse in those threads. Why was hers allowed to stay?
    There's always threads on politicians in AH and they get abuse there too which is normally let slip through. Why are those threads allowed?

Again, I'm not advocating any of the comments but I just think a line should be drawn or it should be either all or nothing. Either everyone is fair game, or no one.

im banned from AH permenantly for remonstrating with people who were doing aeroplane puns when air france 447 crashed into the atlantic. a poster in the thread was related to one of the deceased and it continued .carte blanche. i called a poster an expleteive and got banned.

yet this girl has the mods circling the wagons when quite clearly the girl is bang to rights.

the thread would prob be a free for all and i appreciate that but samantha brick, ah heor leev it out, cork girls milling ,the racist lady on the train holding the baby etc etc - boards had no problems with them.

you need to nail your colours to the mast.

boards seems to pick and choose when it wants to be high and mighty and wrightly or wrongly its coming accross that she is being favoured because her family has a bit of clout

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's not just that. I've been using the internet since 1996 and never in my entire life have I seen something like this so swiftly and efficiently censored from mainstream discussion. Never. It's not just on Boards, btw.

It seems very obvious to me that there's something going on behind the scenes. YouTube mods must be on red alert, as no copy of the vid lasts more than about 20 minutes, for example.

Now as I say, it's the context you have to look at. Out of hundreds of similar viral videos, none has ever been met with such a massive attempt at expunging it from general conversation - not in Ireland anyway - and that's what makes people suspect that it's something more than just your average bog standard community reporting / moderation.

Maybe you are onto something but it could just be friends etc. reporting it a lot, not some conspiracy. Internet sites get criticised for lax moderation and bullying is a topical issue atm.

I do think there is an inverted snobbery going on, somebody mentioned it earlier in the thread, presuming it must be due to his job, money etc. and not anything to do with a pretty hateful campaign against the girl. If something like that was happening to me I'd want to get the video down.
    +1

The Mods' heavy-handed, sneaky-sneaky approach to this matter is the very reason why I am spending less and less time on Boards and more on Reddit.

And before anyone says it - don't worry I won't let the door hit me on the way out:pac:

Reddit will appeal to some, Boards others, no harm in that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Again I think what he's saying is that other people regularly DO get their comeuppance over videos like this.
    What about that "Scumbags fighting in Athlone" video? I'm sure everyone's seen that a thousand times, I know I've seen it on Boards, and the two people in it are named several times in the video, very clearly and audibly.
    Never seen that get deleted. :confused:
    I actually didn't see that one, so I couldn't say.

The schoolgirls fighting in Cork video should have been taken down imo, but I guess in a moderated site like boards its going to be impossible to get complete fairness.

It would be nice to get the 'official' reasoning why boards took this one down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

So if you come from a working class area in Cork and you are 14/15 years of age you can get called every name under the sun for several months and nothing really gets said. That thread was only locked in the past hour.

Now come from an upper middle class Dublin family, there is not a trace of the thread an hour later.

You say its not double standards? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I don't get it, what did the girl do that was do wrong ?
    1. She was drunk
    2. She reacted to a group of guys that were winding her up
    3. As she was drunk she repeated nonsensical ststments, loudly, as people can do when drunk

The boys filming however get more and more delighted as she makes a twit of herself egging her on to be more drunk and nonsensical sounding

I think it is right that this was removed frm the net, no one needs a constant reminder of drunken regretful antics.

I think the boys were the bully's to put this online. Smacks of hi-5ing laddish look at how stupid the drunk girl was. We da man and so on

I can't personally hate that some one can Upload pics of me with out my permission

Live and let live I say . She could be a lovely girl sober . But it suits people more to say otherwise . Another sad reflection of our times IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I don't know what to believe. Two different After Hours mods are telling me two different things.
    Two mods are giving you their unqualified thoughts on the subject. There's many reasons why we had to take it down. I believe the most important one for the site as a whole is the legal one as that can have swift and drastic implications. But that doesn't mean the other reasons aren't important. The bullying aspect was the reason I first deleted one of the many threads. After that, the mods decided that we should delete them, just in case, while we wait to here what the official stance was.

We talked about keeping one stickied thread letting people know. I think I said to do that, and then fell asleep before I got a chance to do it, so sorry about that. And that only got done this morning.

I get up and find a non-issue has escalated beyond all imaginable levels of insanity as people demand their perceived right to post what they want or accuse the site of being part of a vast international conspiracy to remove all traces of this non-event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

I don't remember the thread at all and don't know if I've even seen it before. When there's something objectionable in a thread, users can report it to being it to a mods attention and we can action it. If it's not brought to our attention, then it's hard to keep an eye on every single post.

That particular thread doesn't even seem to have much wrong with it for the most part. A few off-colour jokes that some seem to enjoy, though myself, I'd probably have done something about them if they were reported. A few posts had been deleted, but on the whole it's a different kettle of fish to a video that's being used to make fun of a a drunk girl. I'm not mad on the idea of having either of them on the site, but hey, I guess we can only take these on a case by case basis as they're brought to our attention.

You clearly don't know Ireland's defamation laws. You can sue for any perceived slight and there's a good chance you'll win. Why should someone elses site cater for your feelings of entitlement?

They don't need to win. That's the problem. Boards isn't an endless font of money to be thrown at every legal challenge. People here have the choice between a site that's cautious or no site, and they seem to want no site.

The leave it out video is quite different in content. It wasn't two guys goading and taking advantage of a drunk girl who made a fool of herself. As for the legal action, as has been said many times, it's not the only reason, but it's a bloody major one.

You either don't yourself, or you are outright lieing to us.

Which is it?

If someone came on and wrote a story about what happened with no proof then it could be defamatory. But there is a video, its proof, its not being made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think Boards is right to be afraid of legal action. What this highlights is the mess that is our legal system. Defamation laws really are there to benefit the wealthy.

There would never be any fear that some video taken in a council estate would lead to anyone being brought to court, the mods might decide not to allow such a video based on their sense of fairness, but there wouldn't be any concern that it might turn into another MCD.

Whether the girl is a moron or not is irrelevant, nobody fears damaging the reputation of one of the plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

So if you come from a working class area in Cork and you are 14/15 years of age you can get called every name under the sun for several months and nothing really gets said. That thread was only locked in the past hour.

Now come from an upper middle class Dublin family, there is not a trace of the thread an hour later.

You say its not double standards? Seriously?

Could the fact KPMG audit all companies in the distilled media group be a reason why her thread was deleted sooner?

GRMA wrote: »
    You either don't yourself, or you are outright lieing to us.

Which is it?

If someone came on and wrote a story about what happened with no proof then it could be defamatory. But there is a video, its proof, its not being made up.
    And there are thousands of comments about it on this site and others. These are where the defamation comes in.

Could the fact KPMG audit all companies in the distilled media group be a reason why her thread was deleted sooner?
    No, but the truth never got in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

I see that the cork schoolgirls thread has been locked....but not deleted.

As for both the legal and bullying/wrecking lives/futures aspects, I see that there is still a thread up that links to some case of rape by a high school football team in America that also has links that name the perpetrators. I don't think that they have been charged with anything so from a legal standpoint, you'd think that would be worse for boards!

it'd also be fairly bad if any of those were incorrectly identified

K-9 wrote: »
    I do think there is an inverted snobbery going on, somebody mentioned it earlier in the thread, presuming it must be due to his job, money etc. and not anything to do with a pretty hateful campaign against the girl. If something like that was happening to me I'd want to get the video down.

I've been called a D4 myself and I'd often be one of the first people to criticize the inverted snobbery you mention, my family is probably borderline "posh" by Boards' standards :rolleyes: but the fact is that other videos of people without connections do not get taken down, and if they do, it's not nearly as fast or as absolute.

Again, this girl's life should not be ruined, but I still say it's wrong that those with connections can escape the gauntlet of the internet while those without them have to grin and bear it. It doesn't seem right.

I know if I did something like this I wouldn't want to feel like who I was or what my social standing was had saved me from something which someone from a different background would have had no such defense against. So if that honestly is the reason this video is banned while the cork girls and the Athlone shouting match videos are not, shame on absolutely everyone involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I get up and find a non-issue has escalated beyond all imaginable levels of insanity as people demand their perceived right to post what they want or accuse the site of being part of a vast international conspiracy to remove all traces of this non-event.
    You're entitled to your opinion however referring this matter as some sort of inane "non issue" is unfair and furthermore attempting to demean our points by classifying them as a conspiracy is also unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

And there are thousands of comments about it on this site and others. These are where the defamation comes in.

Some comments left were just chilling to read, either people are so desensitized that they think calling a 16yr old such vile names is ok, or else people need to examine how they react to people online.
    On line people are still real name calling on website comments section can still hurt.
    If you would not say it to some ones face then don't type it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

I can't be the only one who thinks wasting your time arguing for the right to abuse some drunk teenage rich girl is pointless.

Saying that's it indicative some of some class divide...yes I can see it's a bit of a double standard, but c'mon pages of threads hurling yet more internet vitriol at one random drunk minor is hardly going to make anything right.

Boards is a private site, if they choose to censor it for whatever reasons then that's their prerogative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I've watched the video and followed the events on boards, and the only logical reason in my opinion for the video being removed and banned from being posted is due to possible charges being made against the girl in the video for assault at the 3 minute 55 second mark. Any other reason given is quite frankly rubbish and as others have noted already, stems from the power and respect given to certain classes in this country.

Saying that's it indicative some of some class divide...yes I can see it's a bit of a double standard

Then you see the problem. It's not about people's right to abuse anyone, it's about the fact that apparently people have the right to abuse certain sections of society but not others.

Double standards have no place in the 21st century.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

K4t wrote: »
    I've watched the video and followed the events on boards, and the only logical reason in my opinion for the video being removed and banned from being posted is due to possible charges being made against the girl in the video for assault at the 3 minute 55 second mark. Any other reason given is quite frankly rubbish and as others have noted already, stems from the power and respect given to certain classes in this country.

Is there any charges that can be brought against someone trying to get camera shots up a 16 year old girls skirt?

Would that be considered a sexual offense?

yore wrote: »
    I see that the cork schoolgirls thread has been locked....but not deleted.

As for both the legal and bullying/wrecking lives/futures aspects, I see that there is still a thread up that links to some case of rape by a high school football team in America that also has links that name the perpetrators. I don't think that they have been charged with anything so from a legal standpoint, you'd think that would be worse for boards!

it'd also be fairly bad if any of those were incorrectly identified

It's a different matter when it's in a different country. As said before, there's no blanket solution and it's madness that you think there is. As for the schoolgirls thread, it's already been pointed out that it's a different matter. Add to this that you only seem to object to it now as a way to backup your thoughts on the current matter, ask yourself, do you really care about those girls?
    MugMugs wrote: »
    You're entitled to your opinion however referring this matter as some sort of inane "non issue" is unfair and furthermore attempting to demean our points by classifying them as a conspiracy is also unfair.

It's a non-issue of a video being deleted because it's unsuitable and was causing trouble. People made a mountain out of a mole hill. While it's very important to discuss what constitutes the need for action on this site, there seems no reason to have allowed the particular threads to stay on the site.

And considering people have implied that I'm a paid stooge of KPMG, I feel quite justified in calling them conspiracy theorists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There is clearly a double standard.

I think boards could be more transparent here which would help their case.

It doesn't help anyone to hide behind "go to another site" or pre-empt that cyber bullying is the end result of this thread. Or as several people did earlier, accuse others of wanting to bully the individual or of wanting to attack the individual involved or to claim 'class' differences.

It brings more focus on past threads, moderator past judgements and people trawling through the archives (cork threads, ah heyor etc). I think this feedback thread could've been a lot shorter if there was an admittance of a new rule being introduced and now adopted cross-site. Or a fear of legal threat. Or whatever reason it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Boards is a private site, if they choose to censor it for whatever reasons then that's their prerogative.

True. Similarly, google is a private company and if they decided, hypothetically, to restrict internet searches in say China, that would also be their prerogative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

What I can't understand is the fact that a good few users feel they have been censored by boards.ie yet they're all still posting away on the site. Why not close your account and spend your time on a site that doesn't give a **** about the effect of this video.

Some people are treating this as an opportunity to stick it to the man. It's a golden opportunity for them to throw **** at someone who they see as being part of the ''banker'' world. Why they feel that is necessary is beyond me.

The owners/management of this website/business have stated they do not want it discussed here, there's no entitlement to free speech here so I don't see how the closing of a thread can be seen as censorship. If you want to throw **** why not go and find a website/business that will let you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement