Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KPMG Drunk girl shutdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

yore wrote: »
    Does anyone else see the irony in the fact that there is a thread discussing Anonymous highlighting the way a case in America was whitewashed and glossed over by those who pulled the strings...........

...and yet here were have a new sacred cow in the form of the wealthy. The days of the priest/teacher/bank-manager being untouchable in society have thankfully finally gone, but unfortunately have been replaced by a more insidious fear. Fear of money. Or anonymous people with money. At least teh priest/bank-manager/teacher had some status/reputation that they "earned". In this case it's money and money alone.

What irony? What crime is the young girl guilty of and who is aiding and abetting the cover-up of said crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

greenybaby wrote: »
    After an hour searching I finally seen the video,
    get a life!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

As far as I know this video was recorded by one of the members of Dublin rock band The Hot Sprockets

Maybe someone should get in contact with them to see what was said or what lead to the teen girl losing her sh!t.

Just sayin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

dvpower wrote: »
    I don't see these scenarios as comparable.

If Boards was the only place where this video could be seen and discussed, or if they had a near monopoly, then I might be inclined to think they should leave it up.
    Personally, I like the fact that Boards is moderated as it holds the site to a certain standard (even if I sometimes disagree with that standard). There are plenty of other places to view and comment on that video, but unfortunately they are cess pits.

That's fine. just be consistent. They can either justify it and hide behind the "it's my ball and I'm taking it home" argument or the moral one. Just don't paint it as the latter when it is the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭greenybaby

Shinaynay wrote: »
    get a life!

Do one :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Gyalist wrote: »
    What irony? What crime is the young girl guilty of and who is aiding and abetting the cover-up of said crime?

That there was outrage at the thought that the doyens and denizens of that town pulled the strings to protect some of their their own. Cue outrage.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have locked up the threads and prevented anything bad from being said, but that it seems strange that they were so preemptive and overprotective for this case and this case alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Ah It'sthat time year the annual 1st weekend after new year storm in a tea cup thread as people are on a come down after the holidays and do.t have money to go out and so enterain them selfs here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Morag wrote: »
    Ah It'sthat time year the annual 1st weekend after new year storm in a tea cup thread as people are on a come down after the holidays and do.t have money to go out and so enterain them selfs here.

Could not give a toss about the girl or what she done/said .

The point is the suppression of the video on multiple Irish websites.

This is why folks are annoyed. It speaks volumes about this country. It DOES look very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Mods would you agree with my previous statement that this is probably the swiftest and most total blackout of a story which has ever happened on Boards? Even the MCD thing took a long time before discussion of it was totally erased from the entire site, whereas in this case it was almost instant and has been absolutely total.

Again, I could be wrong, but it does strike me that this is literally the fastest and most comprehensive attempt to erase something from general discussion that I have ever seen on this website.
    Is that merely a mis-preception or is it in fact the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Jelly 292 wrote: »

This is why folks are annoyed. It speaks volumes about this country. It DOES look very odd.

Yes that does look odd.

What looks even weirder is how it went viral in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Mods would you agree with my previous statement that this is probably the swiftest and most total blackout of a story which has ever happened on Boards? Even the MCD thing took a long time before discussion of it was totally erased from the entire site, whereas in this case it was almost instant and has been absolutely total.

Again, I could be wrong, but it does strike me that this is literally the fastest and most comprehensive attempt to erase something from general discussion that I have ever seen on this website.
    Is that merely a mis-preception or is it in fact the case?

Toss up between it and the Dave McSavage interview debacle :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,490 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What is even weirder is how people can be so feckin obsessed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Jelly 292 wrote: »

Maybe you live in a hermetically sealed environment where the wider news of the day are not available.

Did you miss the discussions on cyber bullying following the death of the two sisters in Donegal and the Junior Minister?

Could there be a relation between this and the harassment received by the girl in the video and her family?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jacob T

Maybe you live in a hermetically sealed environment where the wider news of the day are not available.

Did you miss the discussions on cyber bullying following the death of the two sisters in Donegal and the Junior Minister?

Could there be a relation between this and the harassment received by the girl in the video and her family?

The girl comes across as more of a bully than anyone criticizing the video online, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Maybe you should re-read my post. I am not interested in the girl. Its the complete suppression of the video that is the point.

I think its disgusting that people like you are trotting out these recent tragedies to justify blanket censorship for fear of reprisal from powerful figures, whom ever they are...

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

think everyone needs to get over this and concern themselves with their own lives

• Registered Users Posts: 22,171 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

dfx- wrote: »
    There is clearly a double standard.

I think boards could be more transparent here which would help their case.

It doesn't help anyone to hide behind "go to another site" or pre-empt that cyber bullying is the end result of this thread. Or as several people did earlier, accuse others of wanting to bully the individual or of wanting to attack the individual involved or to claim 'class' differences.

It brings more focus on past threads, moderator past judgements and people trawling through the archives (cork threads, ah heyor etc). I think this feedback thread could've been a lot shorter if there was an admittance of a new rule being introduced and now adopted cross-site. Or a fear of legal threat. Or whatever reason it is.

Then there is also a HMOD with MEME avatar which you could say are the highest form of cyber bulling for the person in the pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yes that does look odd.

What looks even weirder is how it went viral in the first place.

....look at that Korean fellah, for jaysus sake. No accounting for people, betimes.
    looksee wrote:
    What is even weirder is how people can be so feckin obsessed by it. .

By telling people they can't/shouldn't do something, it puts backs up. There'd also be the suspicion that if this was some working class young one coming out with shite, there'd be no such qualms about the video being out there. Then you've the accusations of "cyber bullying", which further pisses people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

I for one look forward to not having to see videos like this one on boards.ie in the future.

Unless someone has given permission for a video?...then no. Boards should not have to follow the underbelly of the general internet.

Fair play to the Admins and the mods for taking this stance.

People should use the report function to help this along. (Otherwise your comments are invalid tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Then there is also a HMOD with MEME avatar which you could say are the highest form of cyber bulling for the person in the pictures.

That girl is comfortable with her memetic fame though, and has made quite a bit of money on the back of it :)

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/overly-attached-girlfriend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭Penn

philologos wrote: »
    By the by, the last time I saw an administrator invoke the Defamation Act on a thread (albeit in the Islam forum) I created a thread on the Feedback forum asking if boards.ie had a consistent policy on it. I didn't get much of an answer other than to say it is on a case by case basis, but how is one to know whether or not a thread is kosher by the Defamation Act if it is ignored in 99% of cases and applied in 1%.

Is there a clear boards.ie policy on the Defamation Act and what posts shouldn't be posted on, or is it something that boards.ie is entirely inconsistent on?

It's pretty simple to be honest:

If you think something might cause trouble, ask a mod in advance.

If you don't think something might cause trouble, you post it and then a mod deletes it, then it wasn't okay to post.

Nobody who posted it originally were banned or infracted as far as I know, because there is no specific rule for this sort of thing and they have to be taken on a case by case basis.

Is it a perfect system? Of course not. But it's the only way to do things without either allowing everything (thereby opening Boards up to legal implications) or allowing f*ck all (thereby living up to what people are trying to accuse us of in this thread (Nazi-mods, censoring everything, running in fear, protecting the rich etc))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Shes 16?

Don't worry guys. If her dad doesn't work for KPMG, the video will be allowed :)

I wonder if she said 'my dad is security guard in KPMG' would this video have just gone down the sh1tter with the rest of the crap out their. Most likely

Nothing interesting in the video at all, just the way it was handled here is funny.

Why not just say 'This involves KPMG, we aint fcking with this?' I know I wouldn't if I ran a business.

There is alot of material on this site that the people/material could be bullied about. Alcohol is no excuse, if it was people would just plead drunkeness for everything in court :)

Carry on the fight people. Until the next viral video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Penn wrote: »
    It's pretty simple to be honest:

If you think something might cause trouble, ask a mod in advance.

If you don't think something might cause trouble, you post it and then a mod deletes it, then it wasn't okay to post.

Nobody who posted it originally were banned or infracted as far as I know, because there is no specific rule for this sort of thing and they have to be taken on a case by case basis.

Is it a perfect system? Of course not. But it's the only way to do things without either allowing everything (thereby opening Boards up to legal implications) or allowing f*ck all (thereby living up to what people are trying to accuse us of in this thread (Nazi-mods, censoring everything, running in fear, protecting the rich etc))

The case by case basis stuff is what makes it inconsistent. In theory there are hundreds of threads on boards.ie that could be pulled out under the Defamation Act and could very easily be reported to the authorities. Yet nobody cares about the sheer litany of posts that this could involve.

It seems bizarre to me.

Who is responsible for what is posted boards.ie or the individual poster? That question needs to be resolved. If it is the user, it depends on their jurisdiction as to whether or not they can be brought to court for the Defamation Act.

Also, wasn't there a case recently where oil prices were affected by people on boards.ie and users were reported directly.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056819767

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

looksee wrote: »

Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

o/

I'm changing my avatar soon anyway but that girl recorded her own video and has participated in lots of public events since.

looksee wrote: »

Depends what "it" is?

The video? The girl? The discussion? Boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dynamo Roller1

MarkMc wrote: »
    Its a 16 year old girl, who was drunk and said stupid things. She has now become the victim of what I would call cyber bullying.

Its a legal minefield, best avoided. Cut the girl some slack, we've all said stupid things

I bet if she wore a tracksuit and had a thick inner city Dublin accent there wouldn't be any problem with this video on Boards. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

yore wrote: »
    That there was outrage at the thought that the doyens and denizens of that town pulled the strings to protect some of their their own. Cue outrage.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have locked up the threads and prevented anything bad from being said, but that it seems strange that they were so preemptive and overprotective for this case and this case alone.

Seriously dude.
    Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭therealgirl

What I don't understand is how is it legal to video someone & pass their video on to others without their consent?
    Maybe I am just being naive...I have a problem with the news also...how all up in everyone's business we are...reporting 'news', all through the day at set times, of other peoples lives that have nothing to do with anyone but those involved...f*cking ridiculous

• Advertisement

Leaving aside all of the above this should really be about Ireland's culture and its habitual drinking?

It is a bad thing :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement